UK sailors captured at gunpoint

ob

Admiral
Re: UK sailors captured at gunpoint

They don't and aren't standing alone in anything.That's why they are in the region in the first place.The issue here is not whether the U.S will or won't get involved in the capture of the sailors.We are involved and Iran has placed their gonads on the line by this provocative move.If this is Irans method of war games then let the games begin.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The UK has been, and probably will remain, a steadfast supporter of Western values.

I might remind those who run them down that they took on a chap named Hitler--alone--for over two years while we sat back getting our act together. Even then it took Pearl Harbor to move us.

The British and the folks from Down Under have been true friends of ours.

Jinx

ob

Admiral

treedancer,What exactly is your point??NorthKorea needed spying on then and needs spying on now.You are an American aren't you??

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I think the frogger is unusually out to lunch on this one. He may ultimately be correct, but not about the British resolve. Just because they may end up with a peaceful resoltuion, does not mean they wouldn't kick some Iranian butt if it came to that . . .

KaGee

Admiral

Mark my words... It will be spun in ways that Iran ends up the victim and the US, not the UK as the aggressor.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I assume this is an issue of territorial waters? If not, bye bye sub. Unfortunate accident, of course. ;)

OldMercsRule

Captain

If Maggie Thatcher were in charge: look out! She is not, and Britian is hampered by Liberals (as are we). That said: the Brits are and always have been very tough people, that don't take kindly to someone treading on them. Maybe it's an island thing, (as the Japanise have been a force to contend with through out recorded history as well). I bet the Iranians are starting to hurt from the actions against them. When they messed with us in the 1980s we sunk their entire Navy. I'd say a joint Iranian ship sinking by both the US and the Brits would make sense to ponder at this point. The left could then use the issue to impeach Bush, (who I bet will not let the Brits hang out alone). My $.02 JR

waterinthefuel

Commander

I don't think the Brit's are going to do anything about this, as their hands are tied by the dems in their gov't.

This doesn't say I don't wish they would kick some butt, and you bet we'll be right behind them if they choose to. Like Jinx said, the UK and Aussies have been staunch allies of our nation that we can't let get hammered. IMHO, if the Brits want to go into Iran and kick some a$$, we should be right behind them.

Oh yea, don't underestimate the British SAS. Those guys are like ghosts with guns.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Why all the comments about "don't run down the brits?"

Whose running them down? I haven't seen a single bad post.

I just don't think they'll do anything. Don't be mind readers and start hatin' a brother!

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

i dont think its a case of us not doing nothing we will resolve it without creating more tension out there than there is already

and the sas are probably already on their way.

Lisa (mrs j)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Absolutely jimlad, I am referring to military action.

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

i believe military action is not needed it can be resovled without that and if not then the sas will go in and get them.

Lisa

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Froggy, your posts come across to me as bashing our closest and most loyal ally in this world as wimpy and cowardly.

I expect this to be peacefully resolved, at least partly because our friends will not be tread on and our President will stand with them as they have stood with us.

There are five nations that are like a family: the English speaking nations mothered by England. To offend one is to offend us all.

Think of this; Her Majesty directing her band to play The Star Spangled Banner in tribute on 9/11. That is what we mean to her and the UK and what she and the UK mean to me. Tony Blair's attitude is clear as well.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

JB, did you miss this post? Somebody show me where I said something bad?

I stand by what I said. I don't think the UK will do anything. This isn't the start of some military escalation.

RubberFrog said:
Why all the comments about "don't run down the brits?"

Whose running them down? I haven't seen a single bad post.

I just don't think they'll do anything. Don't be mind readers and start hatin' a brother!

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

RubberFrog said:
I suspect the british will take this laying down. No offense.

i personnelly didnt take offence to this and i understand what your saying but i dont think we will take it laying down just deal with it without going to war with another country

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I hope that this situation is resolved quickly & diplomaticly. I think the Iranians will puff out their chests and shake their tail feathers for a couple of days and then back down and release these men while claiming a great victory over the west.
If they don't they will find out what our special forces can do. As Mrs Jimlad said the SAS are probably already there and chomping at the bit.
Whichever way things pan out I can't see these sailors being held for more than 1 week.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps I read something there that you did not intend, Froggy, but when you say that you don't think they will do anything it suggests to me that you don't think they will do anything.

If you really meant that you don't think they will do anything aggressive or warlike, say so.

Diplomatic moves are something and a lot smarter something than shooting from the hip. If diplomacy fails, as it often has with Iran, you can be sure that those young men will come home anyway. The family will see to that.

treedancer

Commander

Quote OB

Treedancer,What exactly is your point??NorthKorea needed spying on then and needs spying on now.You are an American aren't you??

What exactly is my point? The point I was trying to make, which you apparently misunderstood, I was trying to point out to our British colleagues that we have been in the same situation and, we managed to get our troops out without getting anybody killed. As for your statement that we should be spying on them, I also agree, with every source that we have available to us. Now for your last question…. yes I am an American, born here, served in the Marine Corps, as did my father before me. Where in my cut and paste post, did you get the impression that I was not a citizen, of this great country that I would gladly give my life for?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I think it is high time for another Crusade.....;)
Smite the Saracens, I say!......:devil:.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Haut said:
I think it is high time for another Crusade.....;)
Smite the Saracens, I say!......:devil:.

[colour=blue]Now Now Bro Haut, You know Persians aren't Saracens. Much Much Tougher. With the current Congress in power we would be humiliated, (as they are trying their level best to arrange humiliation with a much lesser foe). We need to flush the toilet on the Democrats in power today. Then we can deal with threats to our Country again. Until there is a real in your face political cornsequence for the harmfull anti American activity in Congress, (by Dems and wobbly Repubs). Respectfully JR [/colour]