1986 ss 201

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 ss 201

Thanks a ton. If its not to much to ask...LOL... Can I get a side shot of the whole rail? (side profile).

Now to find me some fittings, tubeing, and someone who can bend them.

Thanks. I agree, yours are in very nice shape.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks a ton. If its not to much to ask...LOL... Can I get a side shot of the whole rail? (side profile).

Now to find me some fittings, tubeing, and someone who can bend them.

Thanks. I agree, yours are in very nice shape.

No problem DJ, the photo at the top of the last page work?
Glen

dozerII

Admiral

Carb kits in, hoses connected, new plugs, and it runs great, fired right up. Got a few cooling issues to deal with and the crontrols are all screwed up, but nothing major. Pretty happy about all that.
Glen

InMotion

Commander

Man Glen... I'm off for a couple of days and your digging foam and torn the boat apart!!!! I figured you couldn't resist!!! :). Looking... well.... I'd like to say great... but it really looks like a mess man!!! That stuff is nasty! At least it's comin' apart for you.

Keep up the hard work.

Jim

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glen, sorry to see the mess you have with the foam. I'm so glad I didn't have that problem, not sure if I would have wanted to deal with it. it's going to be a great boat when you're done though.

dozerII

Admiral

Man Glen... I'm off for a couple of days and your digging foam and torn the boat apart!!!! I figured you couldn't resist!!! :). Looking... well.... I'd like to say great... but it really looks like a mess man!!! That stuff is nasty! At least it's comin' apart for you.

Keep up the hard work.

Jim

Hey Jim thanks, I won't be doing a lot more on this one till the fall. I ordered a new 3500lb axle for it, should be here in a day or two. Get that installed then cover her up till later this summer. The Honeydo list is pretty long.
Glen

Glen, sorry to see the mess you have with the foam. I'm so glad I didn't have that problem, not sure if I would have wanted to deal with it. it's going to be a great boat when you're done though.

Hey Stephen, I was prepared for some wet foam, as all the 80's ones have it, just still trying to figure out the fuel tank issue.
Glen

dozerII

Admiral

Ordered some parts, new custom made 3500lb axle with hubs, $140.00, Princess Auto put 205/75/R14 load range C on Galvanized wheels for $139.00, new coupler, saftey cables. Once they all get here can make the trailer mobile again.
Glen

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Big boats require a different selection of tools to strip.

wetfoam006.jpg

The SB side with some foam removed.

wetfoam007.jpg

It looks like they poured some foam then set the tank in and added a wood cleat above the tank on both ends bolted to the bulkheads, then they poured foam down the sides. All this foam is completley saturated, ( can you imagine what the inside of this would be like if it was a Glasser ). The area out side the stringers is also saturated up about an inch off of the hull all the way down the starboard side. This has caused the floor to buldge up approximatly 1/2 to 3/4 off an inch, pulling the rivets through the ply. One thing I have noticed with this boat is the stringers are not fastened to the cross ribs like all the other SS's I have worked on, but riveted right to the hull with half moon cut outs over the ribs.

Any ideas on getting the tank out would be appreciated:confused:
By the way the tank is half full, I guess I will have to start by emptying that.
Glen

I really "DIG" the shovel work you have accomplished so far, Glen!! :)

Wow, didn't think those hulls had that much foam in them. No, sorry...don't have a good idea on removing that tank other than digging out the foam around it. Sometimes, the slow road gets the job done, in other words, there maybe no quick fix for getting the tank out.
Hang-in there, work on it when you have the time.
Rusty

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I wonder if acetone or some type of stripper applied around the tank would dissolve the foam and let you get her out, or at least free up some room to get under/around it to get a tool under there?

dozerII

Admiral

I really "DIG" the shovel work you have accomplished so far, Glen!! :)

Wow, didn't think those hulls had that much foam in them. No, sorry...don't have a good idea on removing that tank other than digging out the foam around it. Sometimes, the slow road gets the job done, in other words, there maybe no quick fix for getting the tank out.
Hang-in there, work on it when you have the time.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty, that's the method I ended up using.

I wonder if acetone or some type of stripper applied around the tank would dissolve the foam and let you get her out, or at least free up some room to get under/around it to get a tool under there?

Hey CBK, The foam was to wet for that, so I went with the chop, chisel, pry, curse and bleed method. This has got to be the worst job ever on a Starcraft rebuild I have ever encountered. I started out using a fuel hose with primer bulb,hooked to the tank and then out the bilge drain. Four 5 Gal cans, full of gas, must have had stablizer in it as it still smells real fresh and will go in my pick-up a can at a time. After that I got at the 1"of foam that was on all four side of the tank and bust it out a piece at a time, then got what I could from under the ends. The tank was set on a piece of 1/2 in ply riveted to the ribs, I put wide pry bar under it and both ends popped loose. Next I went to remove the vent and fuel hoses!!! This is were I almost @$@#$@ my pants :eek:. The hoses were installed and then the foam was put in around them, well after so many years surrounded by the soggy foam the hoses were rotten, the fill hose had acctually been leaking gas into the foam for quite some time, wonder what a spark from the sending unit wires right beside the hose would have done???:facepalm: The fill hose I just pulled on and it came apart including the wire inside, the vent I had to cut part way. Any how the tank is out and I think in good shape I will have to give it the once and twice over. Good estimate from the foam and wood surrounding thank is 100lbs, no wonder it towed heavy, and I'm sure glad I didn't try a sea trial.

Glen

InMotion

Commander

Holy smokes Glen ---- pun intended!!:eek: That's could have been a disaster... this is why it is so great that tinny owners can tear their boats apart and re-build them! Stuff just rots with time. People think wrongly that "well it worked last time, so why wouldn't it work this time". This is why re-building old stuff IS a good idea and good practice!!!

Glad no one got hurt and you got it out! Sea trial ---- yah prolly a good idea to wait a bit!!!:)

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

Hey thanks Jim, Ya I'm real glad it never went on the water. This afternoon I finished cleaning out the center of the hull and pulled the out-drive, no real problems there so that makes me happy. Then I just spent the last two hours sitting in the back of the boat with a couple of wobbly pops planning. Oh whata canvas to play with!!!!!!!
Glen

InMotion

Commander

Hey thanks Jim, Ya I'm real glad it never went on the water. This afternoon I finished cleaning out the center of the hull and pulled the out-drive, no real problems there so that makes me happy. Then I just spent the last two hours sitting in the back of the boat with a couple of wobbly pops planning. Oh whata canvas to play with!!!!!!!
Glen

So after the wobbly pops... lemme guess... 454 motor transplant, entertainment system with flat screen tv, eating tables, wake board towers.... nahhhhhh.... too glitterish!:D

The beauty is that is how YOU and Mrs Dozer use it that will ultimately determine how she ends up. Nowing you, it will be brilliant!! Lookin' forward to watching the build in the fall!
Jim

dozerII

Admiral

Thank Jim..

DJ and anyone else interested in Stainless fitting I stumbled on this site this morning. http://www.suncorstainless.com/railing-bimini
Really nice stuff.

I am going to post up some photos of the best reason I didn't take this boat out for a sea trial,:eek::eek::facepalm:

Glen

dozerII

Admiral

Okay so here is what I found while under the dash trying to track down the trim problem, this one scares the h@@l out of me.

Steering002.jpg

I'm not sure if the sterring cable seized up and someone tried to free it up or wether it just came a part and this is the the fix they used to hold on to 205 hp:eek:

Steering001.jpg

I really like the wire wrapped between the two hose clamps to hold it all together!!

Steering003.jpg

Just imagining what could happen makes me very afraid.

Glen

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have a few more beers and look at it again, DII. I'm sure the PO was in the tank when he "fixed" the steering and thought "better than factory now". Not like it could be a life or death situation. :facepalm: I think I see your trim problem too. He re-wired right after working on the steering and had a few more drinks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My uncle once fixed his slipping rack with a pair of vice grips. It became a permanent solution when he bought a new pair of vice grips for his toolbox. :eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood, I was all ready for you to run this big girl the whole summer before you tore into her. Just the few things you pointed out coulda put a serious hurtin on the dozerII family!:eek:

Even though I think Kanucks are all wierdos I'd never want ya to get all messed up and bloody man!:p:eek::)

Smart move checking her out;) Glen

InMotion

Commander

Dood, I was all ready for you to run this big girl the whole summer before you tore into her. Just the few things you pointed out coulda put a serious hurtin on the dozerII family!

Even though I think Kanucks are all wierdos I'd never want ya to get all messed up and bloody man!:p:eek::)

Smart move checking her out;) Glen

There you go Canuk bashin'!!!:D. We northern folk brought stuff like the telephone, blackberries and hockey!!!! So go easy man!:)

But seriously... good thing you found that stuff Glen.... those are not things to mess about with --- steering and gasoline soaked negative floatation!!!!

No one wants to see you splash and crash or splash and flash!!!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.