The search for a free (or nearly free) Starcraft!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Jason - 16' Starcraft Super Sport, or, 14' Deep V GOT IT! check it out
Again, 15' Starcraft Jet Star or 16' Super Sport or something about like that

Mike - 22'/26' Starcraft Islander, 14' Starcraft rated at 35 hp, 16'/18' Starcraft Squareback Canoe, other misc Starcraft Camping Equip.

Don - 14' Starcraft (possible death by fry pan though), Starcraft Camper

Yooper - 85/90 HP OB (bonus if it's hooked to another Starcraft), 10/15 HP Kicker, misc. boat rebuild equip.

Kenny - 22' Starcraft Starchief/Chieftain (another possible death by fry pan, cast iron no less)

Bruce - 24'/26' Starcraft Islander/Chieftain BAGGED ONE! check it out

Greg - Starcraft with a cabin on it, Islander/Chieftain/Starchief maybe

Don - Starcraft Islander/Chieftain in the 18'/22' range

Jamie - Starcraft in the 14'/16'/18' range, OB flavored

Tim - Starcraft Islander YUP!!! check it out

Brian - Starcraft 18', maybe open bow, OB preferred

Cory - Starcraft 16' or 18' OB SS

Dan - Starcraft 18' SS

Seth - Starcraft Chieftain/Islander/Starchief in the 18' - 22' range

Drew - Starcraft Super Sport, OB, 16ish footer

Ok, so here is what I am thinking here guys...

As some of you might know I have been in search of a 16 footer priced just right. I am also thinking of our buddy Kenny who recently gave up his nice rig all in the name of finances. I know that Mike would like to get his hands on an Islander (or similar) if the price were right too. I'm certain there are lots of guys just like us. You know, dudes who like Starcrafts but just don't have the bankroll for one!

Then we have the Starcraft on clist thread where we often times find cool/interesting boats for the budget conscious and post them up. It also seems like when we know what another guy need we try to find it for him, which is great!

I also get the feel that there are a number of us who are afflicted by "Multiple Boat Syndrome" so this would be a "safe" place for us to hang out as we feed our MBS issue.

This thread is an attempt to sort of bring all of those pieces together.

Anyway, you get the gist I think.

If you are in search of a Starcraft. If you are on a budget... If you don't mind taking a hull that was left for junk or pulling an old forgotten rig out of the weeds and trying to make something out of it... If you might just consider yourself a "bottom feeder"... Than this thread might be for you!

If you would like to help other guys score super deals on rigs that might otherwise find their way to a scrap yard than this thread might be for you too!

I'll keep the list of what we need up at the top here as we see fit.

Let's have some fun and maybe help each other out too, eh!:D

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: The search for a free (or nearly free) Starcraft!

I?ll go first?

Hi. My name is Jason, and I am in search of a free (or nearly free) 16? Starcraft Super Sport.

I?d like to stay under the $250 mark but I am thinking that if I can find one with an old motor on it, I might be able to sell it off and truly make it a free rig. If I were to come across a closed bow (Jupiter or the like) for super dooper cheap I might be tempted to grab it and make it an open bow. I am in no rush to find one. Right place, right time, right price, will present just the right rig, I am sure!

This would be my second Starcraft. The first is my 1976 Starcraft Islander that I found at a scrap yard in the middle of the winter. I ended up selling off the OMC Stringer that came with it which made the boat better than free (I think I actually came out $50 ahead).

Huron Angler

Admiral

My name is Mike and I want a free Starcraft Islander 22-26' in length.:D

I also want a free Starcraft aluminum canoe 16-18' in length.;) (preferably a squareback model so I can bolt on my 5.5hp Johnson:cool:)

I'd better leave it at that...lest I hijack the thread and start talking about Starcraft campers/RVs again:p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hi Mike. I like your choices!

:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

I ended up selling off the OMC Stringer that came with it which made the boat better than free (I think I actually came out $50 ahead).

People buy OMC I/O's:confused::p:D (that poor unfortunate soul)

Nice work on that flip, $50 for gas in the Islander:cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

People buy OMC I/O's:confused::p:D (that poor unfortunate soul)

Nice work on that flip, $50 for gas in the Islander:cool:

Yup, he was really needing the parts to finish up his "project" and I was only too excited to sell it to him!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Jason thats a great idea. May I suggest one thing for all of us to ponder. What if the boat is out of state or a good distance away?
Let me offer this to my SC brothers: I would be willing to transport a boat from Northern VA to Southern VA via I95. If a tag team could be put together that would be great. Gas would be negotiated but my time is free to y'all. Preferably weekends.:redface:

Example: Boat is in SC. If someone can bring it to Va state line I'll take it to DC area. (if its going north of coarse) or versa visa

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason thats a great idea. May I suggest one thing for all of us to ponder. What if the boat is out of state or a good distance away?
Let me offer this to my SC brothers: I would be willing to transport a boat from Northern VA to Southern VA via I95. If a tag team could be put together that would be great. Gas would be negotiated but my time is free to y'all. Preferably weekends.:redface:

Example: Boat is in SC. If someone can bring it to Va state line I'll take it to DC area. (if its going north of coarse) or versa visa

Yah buddy, that is what I am talking about!! Helping each other out, you rock fsh!!:D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I'm Jonesing for a 14 foot Starcraft. My wife is going to kill me though.

I've been fishing out of the 12 foot flatbottom until the Offshore is done. I want to sell it (12 foot) and pick up a 14 footer. Driveway realestate is a problem though.

I think I'll wait until I finish the 18 foot Offshore until I start into another project.

Hi my name is Don and I have MSBS (multiple Starcraft boat syndrome) and it's killing me!

I want a Starcraft camper too. No not new, yes I'm a bottom feeder.:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hi Don, 14 footer is noted!:D

Dude there was a sweet one just north of you up for grabs, did ya see it? Not a row boat! $400 ish I think?

North Beach

Commander

So, any of you Michiganders (or anyone else for that matter) want to buy an 89 mariner with primer and gluvit already done?? Cheap!!!!!! No trailer/you can have the old floor for templates:D:D:D Needs transom skin work nothing major.

note: this is not a for sale posting, just tryin to help out:p

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Don, 14 footer is noted!:D

Dude there was a sweet one just north of you up for grabs, did ya see it? Not a row boat! $400 ish I think?

My wife would seriously kill me. I've taken up the driveway from the garage to the back gate with the 18'. Then from the back gate to the back door with my little flatbottom. I'm suprised I'm still alive.

I am a good dad who spends all his free time with our only son. Fishing. hiking, Cub Scouts,and of course working on the Starcraft. This and my paycheck are the only things keeping around. Another boat would be the tipping point.:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

NB's Mariner, love it!

Check to see if it will go in one of those "If it fits it ships" boxes from the USPS. You should still have my address there, eh!

:D

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I'm willing to give my Islander to a SC Lover, but (and I know its a stretch but) I need a 4dr Vehicle in return, mid-size that needs very little work to get Inspected.

And I could transport to Western MA/Eastern NY, Western CT.

dozerII

Admiral

Jason do a search on oddle .com I saw two on there this morning in the Michigan area, one for $650 and one for $500.
Glen

North Beach

Commander

Yeah I see em for cheap all the time!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason do a search on oddle .com I saw two on there this morning in the Michigan area, one for $650 and one for $500.
Glen

Thanks for chippin in Dozer!

Yah, I believe I have seen those. There are a fair number in the $500 to $1000 range which are almost all pretty darn good deals. But man, for me, you have to think cheaper. You have to think like ridiculous cheap! Silly cheap! Like, great deal for even a bottom feeder sort of deal. Like, I can take it home and show my wife - she asks "How much did you spend (with the unfinished Islander lurking in the background)." And I reply "Free! I sold the motor on the way home! I even made $50 on the deal, here have fun and go shopping!"

You know what I mean?

Yah, I am obviously in no rush to find one either.

dozerII

Admiral

Jason if I find one that cheap I might not tell you about it till I am down there picking it up myself LOL.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason if I find one that cheap I might not tell you about it till I am down there picking it up myself LOL.

Yup, and I wouldn't blame ya for doing it either! I'd be pumped at your score!!!:D

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In the spring I may be looking for a motor and controls for my mariner. As I'm not convinced I'll fall in love with either of my 65 horse johnsons for this 18 footer also will need a kicker probably 10 or 15 horse idk . In any case I'll be keeping my eyes open up here in the U.P. for a starcraft with a bigger / better motor for mine should the opportunity present itself the wife would kill me if I had two boats in the yard. For example just saw a 16 footer 68 I think on cl nearby for 500 with a decent 65 horse merc (enclosed bow, jupiter? holiday ? idk) money and time preclude me buying it at this time but in spring would be tempted especially if bigger motor then possible trade hull with one of you below the bridge folks ?? Or vice versa ?? Anyway I really like the Idea of this thread and would probably be able to transport something as far as the bridge if one of you guys makes a UP purchase.