First time boat owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time boat owner

I need help. I just bought my first real boat. Its a beautiful 1989 Baretta Sucess 200 with OMC 4.3 and Cobra II sterndrive. I cant find any info on the boat. The motor and outdrive are fairly new. I would like to keep them that way. What are the standard starting procedures and what do i need to do when I am done playing for the day? Any Info would be great.

Re: First time boat owner

Welcome to iboats . . . OMC has been out of business for over ten years . . . so when you say the engine and outdrive are 'new', do you mean recently rebuilt?

If you have not taken a boater safety course, then it would be highly recommended. They will cover some of the basics on starting procedures and precautions for a marine engine.

Most boats are the same in terms of starting up and putting away . .. a lot would depend on if you plan to keep it in the water or trailer/launch each time you use it.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

I believe they were rebuilt. The guy I bought the boat from said "new" and they look new and the motor sounds great, but like you said OMC is no more...lol. I plan on using the boat all year long.... lots of fishing, but I am afraid of water freezing in motor/ outdrive. Is there a way to drain after using for the day. Also do i just rinse the boat down after every use or only when i use in salt water?

Comment

Originally posted by JeromieS View Post
        I need help. I just bought my first real boat. Its a beautiful 1989 Baretta Sucess 200 with OMC 4.3 and Cobra II sterndrive. I cant find any info on the boat. The motor and outdrive are fairly new. I would like to keep them that way. What are the standard starting procedures and what do i need to do when I am done playing for the day? Any Info would be great.
        Jeromie, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but OMC hasn't been in the sterndrive business for the last 10 years. (read below article)

GLM Products Inc - 30 Years of the OMC Sterndrive

Finding parts for the motor and sterndrive, for the purposes of maintaining it, are going to be a nightmare. I wish you had checked in sooner as we could have advised against the purchase.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	159074 Heres a pic of the new boat.

Comment

I am afraid of water freezing in motor/ outdrive. Is there a way to drain after using for the day. ?
            There are drain fittings on the lower portion of the engine block . . . . For the exhaust manifolds, you can just pull the lower hoses off . . . you can also pull the hose off the lower portion of the recirculating pump on the front of the engine.

Also do i just rinse the boat down after every use or only when i use in salt water?
            Rinse, wash, whatever pleases you. It depends on how messy the boat got on any particular outing, how much salt spray, etc.
            Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
            Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
            Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

Thank you very much. Gonna go down to ********** and pick up a book. Also gonna take Boater Saftey Course. If any one thinks of something else I need to know please tell me. I am really over my head here....lol.

Comment

Working...
              X