4.3 mercruiser Right bank hot

ccustomrides

Seaman
I have another topic.
1990 4.3 Merc V6. If looking at the engine from inside the boat. My buddy has one and it runs always warmer on the right bank. I told him that its because of the steering cooler being connected to the right bank. I know 4.3 have the main drive water impeller hose on right side also. He runs a cool 140F thermostat and boat never over heats. When on cold water muffs it idles great and manifolds seem cool to touch on bolth sides. When you run under load on the lake and put your hand on the right bank you can tell that right is hotter then left but still bolth sides can be touched with a palm of the hand for a sec or two.He has a 17Ft Sea Ray BowRider. What you guys think?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 4.3 mercruiser Right bank hot

Welcome to iBoats....

I have another topic.
1990 4.3 Merc V6. If looking at the engine from inside the boat. My buddy has one and it runs always warmer on the right bank. I told him that its because of the steering cooler being connected to the right bank.

New one on me! The power steering cooler is located under the port manifold, but it is, operationally, in the incoming water stream, and has absolutely no affect on manifold temperature.

ccustomrides said:
I know 4.3 have the main drive water impeller hose on right side also. He runs a cool 140F thermostat and boat never over heats. When on cold water muffs it idles great and manifolds seem cool to touch on bolth sides. When you run under load on the lake and put your hand on the right bank you can tell that right is hotter then left but still bolth sides can be touched with a palm of the hand for a sec or two.He has a 17Ft Sea Ray BowRider. What you guys think?

I think there is nothing wrong with his engine. Variations in water flow between the manifolds is perfectly normal. If you can hold your hands on both manifolds, nothing to worry about.....

Chris........

ccustomrides

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I know its weird. I had his boat out and nothing thows any red flags. Temp is normail about 145F, runs good. When you lift the engine hatch and touch the Right riser its pretty hot and you can only hold your hand there for couple of sec. The left one is little colder. Maybe he needs to replace the water impeller?

Bondo

Staff member

I have another topic.

Ayuh,.... Another topic,.... This is your 1st post,.... Anyways,.. Welcome Aboard....

Water flows whichever way is Easiest,... V-motors Never run exactly equal betweens sides,...
It's completely Normal...

Btw,.... The P/S cooler is before the motor,+ has Nothing to do with it...

rogressem

Recruit

OK, one more follow up (yes, 1st post). I too, noticed that the temperature of the water discharge on the left side (port) is much warmer, and of much less volume than that on the starboard side. I've had this boat for a few years, and I don't recall noticing this before - maybe I just wasn't paying attention when flushing the engine).

Overall engine temp seems ok, fairly steady at 170.

So, one more confirmation - is this normal?

Its 2007 Sea Ray 185, 4.3L

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please start a new thread of your own, don't hijack someones elses question with your problem. Gets confusing when people start answering 2 different but similar quesitons in the same thread.