Water pump job

Getting ready to change impellar for the first time myself.I know the lower unit has to come off to get to it.What all do I need to order to get the job done right? The motor I have is a 40 hp 1993 Johnson Outboard

Re: Water pump job

Ok,so I buy an impellar kit dose everything I will need come with it or is there anything else I will need?

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the rod was to turn by some mistake, how do you know where to turn it to? What problems can it lead to?

Unless it turns a full 360 degrees it won't be a problem. You thread the whole rod in and out to get it the right length, and if you get it wrong your shifting can suffer. Some people don't know not to spin the rod, and play around with it.

Tim

airshot

Rear Admiral

If the rod was to turn by some mistake, how do you know where to turn it to? What problems can it lead to?

Just wanted to jump in here, I did mine last year on my 91' 40 hp jonny. If you are mechanically inclined and have decent set of tools it will be a piece of cake, but I highly recommend the "factory' manual. It has good pics and step by step instructions. I got the manual right away when I picked up my motor (used) and it has been extremely helpful even down to adjusting linkage and cables, you will not be sorry you bought it. Once you have it apart and see how everything goes you will not hesitate to do it again. The disconnect / reconnect of the shift rod under the lower carb is the hardest part. The rod won't turn unless you start fooling with it. Good luck !!

Airshot

Thank you all for your help, sounds like it wont be a problem.There is one more question! there is a round plate by the four bolts that hold the lower unit on it is about 3 1/2" round and has a bolt holding it up it sits directly in front of a small finn on the lower unit,the finn has a water inlet that takes water into it from the propeller. What is it and it dose look like that plate will have to come off as well?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thank you all for your help, sounds like it wont be a problem.There is one more question! there is a round plate by the four bolts that hold the lower unit on it is about 3 1/2" round and has a bolt holding it up it sits directly in front of a small finn on the lower unit,the finn has a water inlet that takes water into it from the propeller. What is it and it dose look like that plate will have to come off as well?

Sounds like you may be better off doing this job with a manual for reference.
Diagrams are in this link. Put in your make, model and year to view.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f