How I Met My Bryant, Chapter One: Is That the Bilge Running or......

Maclin

Admiral
How I Met My Bryant

Chapter One:
Is That the Bilge Running or is the Boat just happy to see me

I decided to get a different boat this year and sell the two I have. I am able to purchase before selling so I can start looking right away. Main focus is a really nice interior and good outside looks but does not have to be a powerhouse, so even 3.0's are eligible. Looking this early (mid Feb) I am expecting some water test delays and even push backs. On the water test is mandatory though, so I will let even a seemingly great prospect go if logistics do not pan out.

I begin compiling a list mainly from Craigslist and also some brokers around Dallas. One comes up immediately, does not seem to look all that great, but it is close and the guy says water ready come on let's go to the lake I think this will be a good process to go through if even just for the practice. Later on you will see that this was a valuable exercise but for other reasons.

He had been on a cruise and had not answered my queries for about a week. Then we got together and set a time for the test. He had me convinced it was ready after I asked what I thought were "the" questions. He called me while I was on the way and asked me to meet him at Lowes out by the sheds. He supposedly has a business office so what the heck is this, oh well. He takes me to the boat, it is in an open slot in a storage facility. It has a very nice snap cover on it, he says he never used it until this year because it was in covered storage before. For as nice as the cover is, the hull is on the opposite side of the scale. Interior is not near nice enough either, but I had suspected and expected that. So now I am in full go-thru-the-motions practice run for me to get used to dealing with boat owners. I did pay the guy $25 for the trouble up front.

He gets in and hooks up the battery. I am looking around for a spigot to run it on muffs, but he just starts it up and gets it to idle because "if I keep the run time under ten seconds...". That was it in my mind, and should have just let him keep the $25 and walked away...except we were in his Jeep of course. We get it hooked up, lights checked and head to the ramp.

Just before this he said he had to pay the storage yard to get caught up so he could get to the boat. Then he mentions we will have to sneak in a back ramp because he is behind on his pass to the private one he had been bragging about. We get to the ramp, it was not all that far, and he gets it launched, he seems fairly competent. He got it started, we leave the trailer, and we motor off. I am paying big attention to the temp gauge.

Boat is a dog. I can tell he is trying to cover that part up but it is just slow, and the engine is making a not so good clanking sound almost every so often, probably a fouled plug backfire. The temp gauge is not moving. He says that is good, but I know it is not, needle is resting on the peg. I am getting a faint smell like grease burning, thinking valve cover or timing cover, some tin leaking maybe. My turn to drive. It has a 4.3 TKS but NO POWER STEERING IS INSTALLED, steering is horrible. Then I realize that smell is not grease, but rubber burning, now big time. He says STOP, opens the engine cover and we go to zero visibility for about a minute as the rubber smoke clears. The bilge pump is running solid, the bilge itself has a lot of water in it. He starts to call friends to see if they can come tow us in. I watch the bilge and the pump is starting to make a dent in it now that the engine is not running. It catches up, but then still kicks on every couple of minutes. I mention that the engine should start and run and we should just head back to the ramp and let whatever happens to the engine happen. It is 55 degrees, windy, and we are heading to the dam.

So he starts trying to get it started and somehow totally messed up the throttle controls, and it would not make anything back at the engine move, got it stuck in throttle only kinda, but it would not pop back out. We tried several things but it was just too sloppy on the inside from age and the lever was the only thing moving.

He gets ahold of someone that has agreed, after much begging, to go splash his jetski and tow us in. It will take about 45 minutes, but so far is our best chance to not end up on the 6 o'clock news. In the area we are in there is a demo going on for a new big $150k wake boat but they only pause every so often to look at us waving with the engine cover up. I do not blame them, this guy I am with is trying to make a quick sale I figure because he is way overextended somewhere. Not their deal, and I get the feeling if we started to go low in the water they would do something. That is about the time I can't remember that there are life jackets in the boat, and kind of panic a little. Then I remembered I saw them earlier in the bow seat storage. The undercurrent of the day so far is this: "It is 55 degrees, windy, and we are heading to the dam.

We are bobbing around waiting for the jetski guy, and he starts wondering what happened to the engine. I said it was probably engine drain plugs left out and was not summerized. He was just sure the mechanic puts them back in after draining. But water was getting into the boat instead of the block and exhaust, so impeller was probably ok but the thing was just not ready to go on the water. And the other leak that the bilge was keeping up with, one shift cable or ujoint bellows,who knows now. He says the engine is toast. I said maybe not, and give him the order of things to do to find out later. Compression check first, then if that is ok try to find out where the water went that was supposed to get to the exhaust. Then fix that, and replace exhaust bellows. And of course, It is 55 degrees, windy, and we are heading to the dam.

He is online editing his Craigslist ad, trying to figure a new price, yes he really did that while we were bobbing around. We talk some more and he waits to post his changes as I try to convince him he needs to assess damages first. But then I remember how he was acting since we met, this guy just needs some cash fast.

Jetski guy gets there, just before he did I had started looking around for a tow rope. The only thing I found long enough was the anchor rope. The rope was looped in there, and we had no knife, so jetski guy had to take the anchor and work with that. It took a few minutes, and by now it as only 50 degrees, jetski guy is barefoot, and of course we are getting loser to the dam.

The tow in starts, jetski guy still barefoot and getting colder. He is now trying to sit on his feet. Every time a wave splashes him he flips his buddy off for about a minute.

We get to the ramp, the wind is making a difficult effort out of trailering the thing. They get it done, he had to wade around for a time. They were both very cold by now. Barefoot jestki guy is very visibly angry with his buddy now. So far it was quite a show for $25.

We get going back to my truck, I give him another $10 for his buddy, and he asks me advice again on what to ask for the boat now. I told him worst case it was gonna be 5 large. He wanted 6700 for the thing, it might have booked that in good condition. Well, never this one, it was just bad Next day it was on CL for $2800 with an ok description of what was wrong with it, and 2 days later when I got curious it was not on CL anymore.

Lesson for me is to be sure they know all of my expectations after it progresses from a visual and q&q. That it will be run on muffs to make sure it is circulating water on out the exhaust. That is for their protection should it progress to the 30 minute water test. Then the water test, no skimping on the time. I will pay for an on the water test but not for the muff test. If they balk at any of this they get to hear all about this nearly disastrous adventure, with an exhortation at the end to perform the simple and inexpensive due diligence that will protect all parties.

Next,
Chapter Two: No testing allowed because it is Immaculate and Seller has the words that (dis)prove it.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the laughs glad you're ok. 25.00 for a good story not to shabby lol.

tpenfield

Staff member
Great story, I guess boats do reflect their owner :D . looking forward the the next chapter . . .

southkogs

Staff member
Boat buying is always an adventure. Thanks for the read.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Good story and I look forward to Part 2. However, I wouldn't bother to go on a water test in a boat I wasn't pretty much planning on buying if the test is successful.

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter Two:
No testing allowed because it is Immaculate and Seller has the words that (dis)prove it.

My search centered around certain brands of boats this time, the list of brands will be in the footnotes after the last chapter of this novella. I got a bug to look for some Mariahs, the original ones. Some real nice ones came up, including the subject of this chapter.

This next boat had moved to the top of my gotta see list, due to perceived condition and proximity. A 1994 Mariah ?custom boat?. It did not have many pics in the CL ad, and not very good ones at that. The ad had several things in it that, if true, made it a desirable older boat. Electric drivers seat, defroster, power hatch, immaculate interior, etc. I contacted via CL with email and text as allowed. This seller seemed to prefer email, so I will include some of those exchanges.

I sent this as initial contact, along with my name and phone, etc. This was on Feb 21, 2017.

?Hello, I am interested in the Mariah 22 foot boat you have advertised on Craigslist. I would like to know the exact Model of the boat and also the engine size and brand. When would the boat be available for viewing??

The ad had nothing in it about these items. As I was first determining a value to compare against the asking price for each boat on my list, I needed to know these items and more.

The response came a day later,

?hello daniel i just found this in my spam, if you can tell me where to look for thw model i will pass it on , its a 5.0 v8 i put more pics of the boat today?

He did add more pics, and much better ones. My next emailed response:

?Hello again, and thanks for replying! Except for badging and emblems on the boat itself, maybe the Title (hinting here) shows more about the model. I researched some and if it is a 22 foot boat then a Tulari seems to be the closest model I can find. I am definitely interested in seeing this boat. Thanks for the extra pictures, looks really nice, well cared for. When can I go see it? I am in Denton, bit of a drive so probably not during the week for me. I have a couple of boats to look at this weekend and would like to add this one to my tour! I am pre-approved at my credit union for this price range. Going to buy something within the next 2-3 weeks Oh, couple more questions that affect the value....Does it have the dual prop Bravo 3 drive or single prop Alpha one? What does the flame arrestor or carburetor cover say for the engine designation, looking for "5.0 Liter" or "5.0LX" or "5.7MAG", thanks.?

Almost right away he added more and better pics yet, and sent me some in his next response. Turns out it is a 350 Magnum with Alpha One, and the boat is super nice inside and out, including the trailer. I get the feeling this is an educational experience for this seller, and based on brevity of responses that maybe English is not first language. That is ok, for the right deal I can be patient.

His next response is:

?you stated you wanted to see it this weekend you are more than welcome then or in the evening i have 2 others intrested just let me know what works for you?

So now thinking language will not be an issue, and I make arrangements to go see it on a Thursday evening, the day before the chapter one incident. Somewhere along here he had started ending his emails with a bible verse reference, 2 Corinthians 6:14. I look it up, something about not clinging to those that do not believe, similar.

I arrive at his shop, nice large one away from the house, and the meetup goes well. He is quite the talker, and has to first show me and tell me all about his 2014 Vette Convertible, the latest body style. First thing mentioned was what he spent of course, so I get ready for a long night. Cost him $127k, then he listed all the extras he had done that added up to that from the intitial $100k. That the $27k was all go-fast goodies and that he had vids on youtube of him hitting 212mph (cough cough spit gag). BUT it was in superb condition, extremely good looking. And it looked like it could hit 200+ just sitting there. I kinda remember sucking back in some pre-drool at one point.

Then we get to the boat, and it is very very nice on the outside. He has started the story of the boat, which he made me promise to listen to for the whole thing. Yes, that was said. Most of the story was about how he and his wife had split up and then 2 weeks ago she contacted him, had had a spiritual awakening, wanted to make it right with God, way more to it but that explained the bible verse anyway. Then he got to the boat, and while it is not immaculate on the outside, which was about every 11[SUP]th[/SUP] word in the story, it has been very well kept. Then we took off our shoes and got in about the time the main part of his story had been told. Ok, close to immaculate in here, wow. Front buckets look new. Back bench and sunpad look new. All still have the Mariah embossing and emblem-ing and I am convinced this is an all original well kept boat. Solid floors, carpet is almost unbelievably clean. The bow seats up front have some stitching starting to separate, very small areas, but looks early enough in the deterioration process that they could be restitched with some reinforcing. He has been talking the whole time about how you will never find another bat like this anywhere, that he has five guys coming to look it so you need to make a deposit, that you will never find another boat like this, that he has five guys?on and on. Too bad there is not an On and On Anon support group for we that have to sit through something like this.

The captain?s chair does move forward and backwards electrically. The hatch opens electrically. The under-hatch is superb, engine is superb, everything he said is becoming manifestly true as I dig deeper. Even the ?See, starts right up? part.

Wait, what? I was in the captain?s chair looking at the dash, could have been a small aircraft panel, and just super nice condition. He is squatted right beside me and reaches over to the key, says ?See, starts right up?, turns it and Kashoom Vroom, bub-bubba bub nice V8 thru-the-prop sound. I just froze. The drive was totally dry, he did not even have any muffs to run it on. Seemed like a long time, but realistically 8-10 seconds later I finally said lets turn it off, might damage the impeller. He then spouts out about all his friends that have $80k Bajas and such that do that all the time, there was more but I had stopped listening by the time he got to the end of that medley.

We got out, and he started to provide more and more details about his ?story? of the boat. The story he told before had mostly to do with why the boat as for sale now, having to finish up the separation dealings with the ex, and so on. This segment was about how he had obtained it, and how it had come to be stored here for the last 9 months, that last part becomes significant. He had traded a Harley for it a couple of years ago, an immaculate (word usage getting kinda old by now) one worth $12k. Said how his wife and her friends, and by his gestures they were all very desirable in certain anatomical zones, were excellent slalom skiers and that this boat was awesome. Probably was, the boat I mean. Then they hit the rough patch and he had to padlock this building with the boat and all his tools and jetskis (said he had a jetski business). There were a lot of tools, and probably were worth close to the hundred thousand bucks he claimed they were worth. So subtracting the 9 months, this boat had been padlocked since about mid June.

I was ready to leave but he had to show me his latest project, an 80?s vintage Ford Courier. He said I bet you never saw one of these. I had to remind him that I am 63 and have seen almost every kind of anything from the 40?s on up, and lived thru the 80?s (now that was painful car-wise) but Ok, cool man.

Here is where ?that last part becomes significant?? This boat was located about 30 miles on southwest of Fort Worth, I am in Denton. This winter we had 4 hard freeze cold snaps. There were 2 in December that descended to 26 and below from midnight to noon or so. There was one more in December that went on down to 18 for several hours, and another in January that got down to 16. My fridge icemaker line would not flow water for about 6 hours that day! I checked the almanac day by day for that town, and it showed the exact same freezing temps that I knew had occurred.

So let your mind wander and mull that over for a bit. See if you come up with the same thing I did, that this boat?s engine probably sat through all that undrained. If the guy did not think to drain it then in June, then no way this engine block made it.

I am still interested but of course only if the engine can be verified ok, but when I call him back and tell him what he needs to do, he is not very receptive. What I want to get across to him is twofold. Make sure the impeller is ok. Then run in the lake under load and get up to temp, then check the oil, and hope the engine block made it. So, I call him on the next Sunday, waiting until 2pm or so to make sure he was back from church and all, one of his stipulations for Sunday visits. I express that I am still interested but ?we? need to run it in the muffs to make sure it is circulating water on out the exhaust, he interrupts and says he is not going to go back out there and do all thay, because when he goes to the lake he will start it up and make sure it is peeing there. Yes, sigh, THAT got said. I said that outdrive does not do that, there is no indicator that the raw water pump is working, he says I know that, pretty sure that was new news though. He brings up his Baja buddies again, so I wait a bit and then say Ok good luck, sounds like a plan.

Now I know he is the smartest guy in the world about all boats and feel privileged to have met, aw heck, I can?t make it positive. Narcissistic, and he did not know the basics of I/O care feeling sorry for the boat now.

Almost right away I get this email from him:

?Deleting your contact. Good luck
2 Corinthians 6:14. ?

Offputting, but I decided that he might be doing something he thought I would appreciate, so I did not respond.

Then 3 days later I get this from him, so I guess he kept my contact in his email:

?Sold. Good luck
2 Corinthians 6:14.?

I took this as friendly enough and was glad I had not snarked back, and responded thusly:

?Good deal! We are in the middle of a trade deal right now with our big boat. And hope all works out with your family going forward.?

This was true, I was, but no way for y?all to know if it was the final boat :)

Then he responded almost immediately:

?U r so much drama good luck
2 Corinthians 6:14?.

I was in the car riding with son driving, and busted out laughing when I read it. The wife just rolled her eyes and said ?Yup, that?s you, I mean NOT? !!!!!

Next,
Chapter Three: Sorry about your Impeller, Nice Corsa Captain's call though
or
I knew I should have used a better bunji

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
OK Drama Queen, when do we read about a smarter seller. :rofl:

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter 3 is short. Chapter 4 has the conclusion, 2 dealers and 4 boats, one of 'em I take home.

aspeck

Staff member
But Daniel, it was immaculate!

Good luck, Drama King! HA!

Oh, and 2Co 6:14 (ERV) You are not the same as those who don't believe. So don't join yourselves to them. Good and evil don't belong together. Light and darkness cannot share the same room.

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter Three:
Sorry About your Impeller, Nice Corsa Captain's Call Though
or
I knew I should have used a Better Bunji

The next boat meetup was the day after the lake test kerfuffle. It was a 1996 Mariah Z240 Talari, a 24 footer with a later model year 2000 Mercruiser 7.4MPI with Bravo 3. Interior looked ok in the pics. I contacted him by voice and text and email. He called back, and we had a nice conversation, and I was encouraged because this seller made sense and knew his way around an I/O. He insisted that we hook it up to muffs when I looked at it, very confident in how it ran. I made the 1.25 hour trip and looked it over. The interior was down some from what I had told the wife we would get. He had it ready to start, and told me to turn the key. It started right up with a slight roar then settled in, that is when I hollered "DOES IT HAVE THE CORSA" and he nodded. Pretty cool. We let it run a bit and I was looking around some more when he said Turn it off! Well rats, the little solid rubber bunji he had holding the muffs on broke and was not noticed for a bit. I started to feel I was hexed or a jinx or something. I got a good look at the bunji later, it was ancient. He worked on getting water back to it so we could try again, I could tell he was pretty sure the impeller had been hurt, me too. While he was doing that I poked around a lot deeper, and found some rot in the back panels under the pad, and some stinky mold in some floor storage compartments. It had storage everywhere plus the ski locker and infloor cooler as was standard in that era Mariah. This boat had the two helm console compartments, port had a porta potti and the other was a changing room. All this was ok, but the bow floor moved a little. What, Ok, time to start it up again. I watched for the cue from him, started it, and he waited a bit and said shut it down, no water coming out the Corsa tips. It was a pretty cool setup actually when I looked it over after the "demo" was over. But then I got more of the story when I asked about the new motor. He had rescued the boat from a neighbor. It sat outside neglected for 5 or 6 years after the husband had died. He got it running with the motor transplant and had good times with it with grandkids and such for a few seasons on Lake Whitney about 70 miles from their house now. His wife's parents have a place there and they kept the boat there. Then as grandkids do they get older and move on to different things with friends. The wife came out and talked too, it was all good, just friendly Texas folks. I offered him $20 for the trouble, he did not take it. Later in the week I texted him that I had made a boat deal (was it The one? maybe, maybe not, not sayin' yet). And he wanted to know what it was, and I told him and he said congrats. Classy down to earth folks, just did not have the boat I was looking for. The wife really did not want another "rescue" for us. And you know what is said about wives and happy :)

Next,
Chapter 4: You Came to See Who? Ray?, No, I came for the Sea Ray

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
To muff or not to muff, that is the question. Unless the muff falls off! :eek:

The chapter titles are as almost as good as the story. LOL

You can call me Ray, you can call me Ray Ray or you can call me SeaRay.