How I Met My Bryant, Chapter One: Is That the Bilge Running or......

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter Four:
You Came to See Who? Ray?, No, I came for the Sea Ray

Actually there was no confusion about a Sea Ray, I just liked how that read for a chapter heading :)

The next excursion was for visuals only, scheduled for 3 boats. These 3 boats today are about the same price, There were two at a broker, and one more at a wholesale dealer. The 2 at the broker were first, then the one at the dealer. The one at the dealer was my new number one, it was a nice looking 2006 Sea Ray 185 sport with the 3.0 Mercruiser. Really cool looking color usage in the interior between white and blue and yellow. Looked to be in great to maybe superb condition. Hull was mainly blue. I wanted to look at that one last.

The 2 at the broker were a 2007 Glastron MX175 with 3.0 VP, and a 2007 Bayliner Discovery 215 BR with a 5.0 Mercruiser.

The Glastron was in very good condition, the MX is an entry level trim but it had the snapin carpet and was overall very nice. It might do if the Sea Ray was gone. The Bayliner was right beside it so had to look. It was, well, a Bayliner. It had the traditional lounge and jump seat arrangement and a nice extended swim platform with ladder that works good with a crowd, and with the 5.0 was probably a very nice cruiser. One jump seat set was missing, and the other had some tears and scuffs in 2 or 3 places. It was just not the right level of quality boat for me.

Now on to the the Sea Ray.

I was very impressed with the personnel at this dealer. We went over the Sea Ray, and man was it nice. Engine had 340 hours, but I can see why, I did not want to get out of it either! Super sporty. I knew the 3.0 would not be a powerhouse and was resigned to that. Before we got started on the Sea Ray, as part of the introductory conversation, he mentioned that, if it was ok with me, that he would like to show me one more boat later if I had the time. I said sure, then we got to the Say Ray. After looking it over I was ready to say this is the one, and move forward to lake test. We had already discussed that a sea trial was mandatory, and in fact it is their policy. With the broker all that got complicated as they are just the go-between, where with the dealer they buy it then sell. I said let's hit the other one and then I will be ready to make a decision.

Yes impatient readers, we then walked over to My Bryant. It was same price, 4 years older but fewer hours and had the 4.3MPI and was a larger boat, good for more days when wind was a factor. They had just got it in, so no one knew about it yet so to speak. There were some challenges, first was there was no trailer. They had retrieved it with their awesome totally adjustable heavy duty roller trailer, which it was still sitting on. The dealer had one they would give with it though. Their price was with trailer, guaranteed to be good and equivalent year. I said, ok. There were some paperwork and titling work to do as it was a trade for the seller's bigger huger brand new Cobalt, but they assured me it was just a time issue. Still very early in the procurement process. I said cool, this is the one I want, but I want the Sea Ray if this falls through, can you hold both. They agreed, we got through all the challenges and it is now in my covered pull-thru storage stall!

That first day we went over to the trailer they were providing. It was a RoadMaster, 2001 model single axle. Very clean shiny paint, bearing buddies, chrome wheels, spare tire well, but no spare. This was acceptable. So we made arrangements for me to show up at the ramp after they moved it off the shop trailer and on to this one, and then I would get the demo launch,ride and retrieve. That happened, got them paid, towed it home, done deal.

2002 Bryant 188
Yellow and White
4.3 MPI Mercruiser Alpha One
High 5 Stainless 19p prop in perfect condition
Sill has the OEM Coleman Cooler that fits under front cushion in the bow
Interior is really immaculate. Well except for the cooler's white top, kind of dingy.

Proud yet modest tow vehicle...
WP_20170307_003.jpg

Next,
Chapter Summary and Disclaimers

Maclin

Admiral
To muff or not to muff, that is the question. Unless the muff falls off! :eek:

The chapter titles are as almost as good as the story. LOL

You can call me Ray, you can call me Ray Ray or you can call me SeaRay.

LOL, good ones...

jbcurt00

Staff member
For want of a comma, different statement entirely.
Maclin said:
Chapter Four:
You Came to See Who? Ray?, No, I came for the Sea, Ray
Ch4 is sort of a come down from the previous drama packed serial anecdotal prose.....

Congrats on the Bryant.....
Hey Jack, where's the plug?​

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter summary

Chapter one
Just getting my feet wet, immersing myself in this here boat quest. Whoa up, hey, DUDE, I didn't mean it literally, get us back to the ramp now please.

Chapter two
The Immaculate rejection.

Chapter three
Bunji's are great until they aren't

Chapter four
I'll take the one that is not on the menu please, hold the Sea Ray,

Disclaimers
No animals were harmed during the tenure of this boat quest, although tragically one of the boats could not recover and had to be put down, and an engine block is (probably) undergoing exploratory surgery.
Filmed entirely in a Whole Other Country
Every attempt has been made to accurately depict events herein. However some descriptions may contain certain forward looking statements that have yet to be evaluated. Or even have happened. But should if karma has any say.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Congratulations on what sounds like a great boat, and thanks for the entertaining stories on your adventures finding it.:encouragement:

southkogs

Staff member
Got some audible laughs outta' me on chapter 3 ... loved reading it. Congrats on the Bryant.

aspeck

Staff member
Congrats on your apparently successful quest ... apparently because, well, you never know what bunji fail is around the corner ... good, no, GREAT luck with your new-to-you Bryant!

Maclin

Admiral
Thanks guys! It was a fun filled 3 weeks. And in the end the right one for me was the boat I didn't know existed, and within 20 miles (sub heading "How I Met My Bryant -- The Ironical Chronicle"). I hope some of this can help future boat questors with seeing what can happen, figuring it out early and avoid some weirdness maybe, and exercise some patience. Have a plan, be ready to travel some, be able to not force one, see the value of being able to let one go. My list expanded to 36 boats by the end, had 2 sort columns to be able to prioritize the search. I put some entries in the list just in case a bunch got sold before I could look at them. I talked to 10 owners, looked at 7 boats, and bought the one I could not see coming :).

I keep thinking of other things that happened during the chapter one incident, like how he was worried the boat might drift into a rocky bank and scratch up that chalky hull :facepalm:. I'm thinking there may be some "from the cutting room floor" entries along the way here.

HAVE A GOOD SEASON EVERYONE :rockon:

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter two
The Immaculate rejection.

"Hey, anybody know where I can get this muffs attachment thing for a boat? Asking for a friend..."

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this should be linked to the sticky checklist for new boaters

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I keep thinking of other things that happened during the chapter one incident, like how he was worried the boat might drift into a rocky bank and scratch up that chalky hull

My only question of that incident, why didn't he just throw that anchor to stop from drifting??

Maclin

Admiral
My only question of that incident, why didn't he just throw that anchor to stop from drifting??

I found it odd and funny that it came to his mind first, you know, ahead of actual maintenance :) I did not think we were all that close yet, we had time if his buddy could get there within the timeframe they came up with. I might have had to do an intervention though if it came to that, he was getting pretty rattled. I can just hear him now, ".. but I don't want to have to put the anchor back in the locker all wet and junk..."

Another funny from that incident coming soon...

Maclin

Admiral
Chapter One, another deleted scene...

So jetski guy has arrived, and we have figured out that the only rope long enough is the anchor rope, and that I cannot untie it at the anchor and neither one of us has a knife...

I am on my knees up in the bow, this is an 18 footer so kinda cramped. I am working on getting the anchor up out of the locker so we can hand it over safely to the now circling jetski guy. One of my knees is on the front cushion, and my shoe on the other leg is kind of kicking up the edge of the side cushion as I fight for stability. About the time I have the anchor ready to hand over the guy says "watch your foot, it is kicking up the cushion and don't want to hurt it" , yes he said that, in a nice enough way I guess. I did my best to get it up on top of the cushion, all the while thinking "Dude, You/I/We are lucky that ALL the cushions are not just floating around out here somewhere above your boat".

Just before this I had made sure the end of the anchor rope was still tied to the boat securely, my mind had fastforwarded to a potential scene where we flub the transfer and watch the end of the rope go under.

He somehow transfers the anchor to Jetski guy securely who starts working on getting the line secured at the ski, and also put one of his PFD's under the anchor to protect the gelcoat on his ski, which is pretty nice. Ok, at least he has one friend that will come out for a rescue and takes care of his stuff :)

aspeck

Staff member
Sounds like you got lots of entertainment for $25!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
^^^ I don't know. More like 25 bucks for life threatening thrills. :eek: