Do I Need brakes on my boat trailer?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone, I'm a total rookie to boating and am about to buy my very first boat. iBoats has been a wealth of knowledge and hope I can eventually contribute too! But for now, I only have questions.

Here's my situation: My tow vehicle has a tow capacity of 3,500 pounds, with trailer brakes. Without trailer brakes, it drops to 1,500 pounds. I assume this means that the Vehicle (crossover SUV), has capacity to pull, but brakes are insufficient. Before is spend up to $1,000 on brakes for a trailer that is almost 20yrs old (albeit, in good condition), I want be sure.

The boat is a 2,200 pound Bowrider and the trailer weight, I assume, is about another 600 pound at most.

I need to tow from the dealership to my trailer park, which is about 200 miles. Very few hills, and only mild ones. Then it's just putting the trailer and boat in/out of the water every weekend for about three or four months, and also the trips to a nearby marina for servicing twice a year.

Can this be done without trailer brakes, without risk to my vehicle, or others, strain, etc? Anyone ever done this? All opinions are most appreciated. Cheers!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First I'd check to see if the laws in your state require trailer brakes. With the weight you're talking about plus batteries, fuel, boat gear, etc. I think you'll probably be required to have brakes.
Even if you're not, your tow vehicle's information apparently is telling you that you need them. So, what's the question really?
I'd want them. In an emergency stop situation I think without trailer brakes you would likely jackknife your little tow vehicle.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'd add brakes boats always weigh more that what we estimate. Keep in mind that your vehicle is certified to safely stop its own weight plus it's full payload. In fact it's possible that the boat could come close to the weight of the tow vehicle.
If you can do the work yourself it does not have to cost that much.

wrench 3

Commander
Back and forth to the boat launch at low speed, yes. 200 mile road trip, NO!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Its pretty clear when the manufacturer says 1500lbs without brakes. If you had ever experienced brake fade, you wouldn't be asking your question

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If the trailer axle already has a backing plat to mount the brakes to, it should be cheaper than a grand.

Electric brakes and controller would run about $600

My previous tow vehicle was rated for 5500#, but only 1500 without trailer brakes.
My boat went 2900# when loaded with camping and fishing gear.
Going down a long 30 mph hill in a tourist town, with a pedestrian crossing at the bottom of the hill,
filled with kids and bikes and dogs, was an OH SH'T moment.

I ordered brakes for the trailer when I got home.

Buying a new or newer trailer with brakes, and then selling the old one, may be more cost effective.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I was thinking a trailer with a GVW of 3000 lbs was required to have brakes. Maybe just my state, but was thinking everywhere. Your combined is really close. Since your so close to the max your car can pull with brakes, I think you need them. What if you have to stop suddenly while taking your boat in for service? You risk wrecking your boat and your tow vehicle. Not worth the risk IMO.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow - thanks so much for the quick responses. Very helpful. Everyone's basically confirmed what I mostly figured - just wanted to hear about the experience of others. Roscoe's story is one experience is like to avoid. Also, I didn't clarify before, but I'm from the province of Ontario - that may explain why the costs seem high...CAD not quite as valuable as USD. Not really sure what the laws are here, and dealer thought I could pull off a one-time trip without breaks, but I had my doubts. And, not really interested in doing anything to void warranty. Thanks again to all for sharing!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have the mounting flanges on the trailer, you can get disc brakes for $345 per axle with a surge brake head for about $200. add a bit of brake line and flexible brake hose and your set.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Assuming it is legal without, here is another solution... Can you rent/borrow a different tow vehicle for the 200 mile trip? Your SUV is fine for low speed towing to/from the ramp, but even with brakes, it isn't going to be overly happy with interstate speeds for 200 miles.

What vehicle by the way? There is a fairly wide range of vehicles that have 3500# tow limits, some are capable of much more, some probably shouldn't be rated at that even!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
About 13 years ago, I replace my old trailer axle with a custom axle made by Champion Trailers with brake flanges. Then I bought a surge drum brake it from them (400 or so for the whole works including the stainless steel lines) chose drum then, because the discs available at that time were not good. They made a huge difference in towing. Then I was towing with my old '98 Grand Cherokee, with 11" disc brakes. Without the brakes, it could barely stop it. You had to plan all your stops and an emergency stop, was not happening. I think the boat weighs about the same or a little more than the Jeep. So the all up weight is between 8000 and 9000 lbs. No way you are stopping that, with four 11" disc brakes. While the drums need more maintenance than discs, they also stop better esp at low speeds. They do not drag like disc brakes can because they can be adjusted. Once I found a way to keep water out of the wheel cylinders, they were mostly trouble free. There is a newer style wheel cyl that uses an O ring seal that does not trap moisture like the old boot style. And there are also galvanized drums available if you know where to look. My 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee has much better brakes but I'd still have brakes on the trailer.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sell the trailer and buy one with brakes. Or rent another trailer or truck for the trip.

wrench 3

Commander
Here in Ontario any trailer with a gross weight of 3,000lb or higher requires brakes.
Have you tried Princess Auto for brake kits. They quite often have some really good deals.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
once you feel the difference between brakes and no brakes you will answer you own question. Like roscoe i had a oh sht moment.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you are mechanically capable buy the kit and do it yourself. The hardest part is snaking the brake line thru the frame. Once you do it and learn how to maintain trailer brakes (knowlege = power) you will not be dependent on others to fix your trailer. Trailer brakes are quite simple.
If you're familiar with disc brakes then install them (Kodiak). I have a lot of experience with drum brakes and actually prefer them in a surge brake system due to the strong return springs and the ability to adjust the set point so there is no drag.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If I can install new axles and breaks, anyone can.

I had a thread on my trailer rehab here, everyone here walked me thru it.

do it...

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow - thanks for all the help, tips and advice everyone! Think I'll head to Princess Auto!

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
By the way - the question was asked as to what the tow vehicle is...it's a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 2.0 Turbo rated for 3,500lbs with trailer brakes. My boat + trailer will tip the scale at 3,000lbs.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I added electric brakes to my single axle trailer. Very easy and it makes a huge difference in driving. My electric breaks, with a controller and breakaway kit, were less than $400. I put in drum brakes. Not sure if I'd go with disc brakes if I had to do it all over... I've had no problems with the drum brakes. I only boat in freshwater, so salt and corrosion isn't much of a concern.