trailer rehab

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I knew I was going to need new springs based on looking at the port side a couple months ago but due to an unrelated event (all lug nuts half off one wheel one hour into a two hour trip - somebody doesn't like me) I was checking all the wheels and looked at the other side leaf. The front side attaches to the hanger (complete loop) and the rear is in the shape of a 'C' i guess to allow some stress relief at the other hanger. Well it is about to fall out.

crappy pic, I'm going to the boat at lunch time to get better pics.

I had a lost wheel event a couple months ago http://forums.iboats.com/forum/other...he-water-until and pretty much had decided to rework everything below the frame this winter but moving that event up. Been trying to learn about this stuff for a few weeks.

the plan:
  • two new axles (3500 lbs - boat is 4000 dry weight)
  • electric brakes on one
  • new hubs
  • new leaf springs
  • new tires/wheels (current 3 year old ones are 14" and not happy with the flex on them)
  • new LED lights (why not?)

iboats doesn't do axles and it is not a 'standard' trailer at least with the Dexter axles from etrailer with pre-welded on spring seats and axleless systems are way to pricey so looks like trailerdepot or southwestwheel. Sorry so many questions but want to do it right.
  • any thoughts on those two suppliers?
  • spring seats - when I get them 'loose' do they need to be welded on or is it just a clamp on application?
  • brakes - does it matter front/rear axle?
  • currently my equalizer does not employ shackle straps - is that an issue? Assuming the 'C' shaped leaf allows the flex the straps would?
  • I do not want to have to move any of the existing hangers do the shackle straps allow for a bit of variance in length of the springs?
  • spindles with the zerk - replaces bearing buddy so just get dust cap?
  • dexter talks about having a bend in the axle for camber - at my boat weight to axle rating should I need that?
  • round or square tube matter?
I'm basically wanting to just unbolt old and put on new.
  • anything I need to know that i'm not thinking of?
  • how long a job should I plan for?
  • can it be done with boat on fairly easily?
  • what pics would help you help me?

here is the equalizer

and to my spring seat question mine look like this and do not see a seat? How do the seats work?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
There doesn't really need to be a seat for the spring on a square axle. Just a hole in the top of the axle tube that the spring center pin fits into.

Plan sounds fine, but a new trailer might be cheaper.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cool thanks looks like I'll go with square over the round.

I'm budgeting about $1500 including tires/wheels (and I'll sell the old ones for a couple hundred) which for this size trailer is about a third of a new. I've also already put on all new keel rollers and new bunks.

oldjeep

Admiral
Cool thanks looks like I'll go with square over the round.

I'm budgeting about $1500 including tires/wheels (and I'll sell the old ones for a couple hundred) which for this size trailer is about a third of a new. I've also already put on all new keel rollers and new bunks.

Not bad if you can do it for that price. I'd have thought that 5 new tires and wheels would be nearly $1000 all on their own.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
crap forgot about the 5th one... Plus I'm factoring selling mine

$160 axle
$350 axle with brake
$250 leaf kits/parts
$850 tires/wheels
$200 lights
$100 for when I break/forget something

$1910 minus $200 selling current tires.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why not put brakes on both axles? Aren't you pushing 6000# when fully loaded with fuel and gear?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
75 gallon fuel and a wife with stuff so probably. I'm open to it but just i'm the kinda guy when it comes to mechanical s like to keep it as simple as possible. Plus I don't have any issues stopping now in normal circumstances but in a need for quick stopping want it. Do most have dual?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That is a standard 7 pole plug.

For a boat your size, you should have brakes on both axles.

75 gallon fuel and a wife with stuff so probably.
Especially if you keep your wife in the boat while you trailer. :)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would also recommend brakes on both axles. Looked you up on the members map, with you being right in the middle of the mountains, I highly recommend brakes on both axles.

FYI - I drove past your neck of the woods about 3 AM Sunday Morning

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I would also recommend brakes on both axles. Looked you up on the members map, with you being right in the middle of the mountains, I highly recommend brakes on both axles.

FYI - I drove past your neck of the woods about 3 AM Sunday Morning

Well two it is.

I grew up in the PNW; these things they call 'mountains' here are merely bumps.

if you were on hwy 24 you at exit 110 you were 2.1 miles from the house. Next time wave to the east.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was slapping myself to stay awake. does that count as a wave..... LOL

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Joe,
We order from Southwestwheel at the shop

$278.30 for 3500# axle with electric brakes(when ordering two)
$30.30 leaf springs per pair
$14.95 U-Blot kit per axle

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...iler-axle.aspx

looking at their web site now and a couple questions:
  • since these are round axles do I need to weld on spring seats? If yes, then center over the frame center, correct?
  • they suggest an SW4B spring - on my leaf the bolt center to center is 261/4" - they have 26" and 25 1/4" (SW4B) and as i stated above I do not have shackles - would I order the SW4B and shackles? what are the requirements for using the shackles? is the equalizer probably smaller than my 7" bolt center?
  • slipper springs - look like the hanger for the slip side is just a normal hanger so I wouldn't have to replace? they have a slipper @ 26 12" which should work for 26 1/4"?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
looking at trailer lights - and even for the ones 'for over 30 feet' the only come with 25' of wiring??