Do I Need brakes on my boat trailer?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
By the way - the question was asked as to what the tow vehicle is...it's a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 2.0 Turbo rated for 3,500lbs with trailer brakes. My boat + trailer will tip the scale at 3,000lbs.

plus cooler, wife's stuff, kid, dog, FUEL, etc. That stuff adds up quick so you are right at your limit imo. Not enough to really worry about especially if you get brakes but just always remember to add all the weight.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
By the way - the question was asked as to what the tow vehicle is...it's a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 2.0 Turbo rated for 3,500lbs with trailer brakes. My boat + trailer will tip the scale at 3,000lbs.
Assuming you have an automatic transmission, I highly suggest you add a transmission cooler.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agree with the tranny cooler suggestion - Santa Fe Sport already comes with it as part of the package I got.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put this kit on my tandem trailer https://www.amazon.com/Zone-86854-Complete-Brake-Actuator/dp/B00BMPEN7S

Cost about $450 and had everything needed. I've seen some negative comments here on tie down, but for occasional long tows and mostly short tows in fresh water it's worked out well for me.

Excuse the ignorance - are those electric or surge brakes? If electric, does it include the brake controller unit that goes in the tow vehicle? I'm so very "unhandy" when it comes to auto work...but no problem trying sometime. Also, I checked Amazon.ca (can or from .com because conversion rate and duty might double the cost) and it's not available there...going to try Princess Auto for their $400 kit as suggested earlier by another Canadian. Thing is though, I got a quote from a shop to do the installation for me of electric brakes for only $600! For the extra $200, I would have no problem saving time and making sure it's done right. Other thing is, as far as the electric control unit in the car goes, I have to get that installed by the dealer, so that it doesn't void the warranty. My Hyundai dealer however, does have decent pricing.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
This might be another thread - but maybe not...so here goes: although I'm considering the option of getting a new trailer with brakes and selling my current one with no brakes, a new one with brakes is $2,300 + 13% provincial sales tax. I would get only about $1,000 for my trailer. You hate to invest in an old trailer, but the trailer will definitely outlast the brake by the time they need an expensive overhaul. That said, the current trailer is a heavy old gorilla, weighing in at over 800lbs! Boat is only 2,200lbs (also a bit heavier than average - typical Crownie...but still a light boat)...

...but I digress, here's what may be a new thread:

- What do you recommend between electric and surge brakes (keeping in mind that lights are also electric and get submerged in the water)?

- What do you recommend between disc and drum brakes?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Other thing is, not sure how much more complex it is if the trailer does not already have the backing plate and that also needs to be installed. I was also told that installing surge breaks may actually be more expensive, since my trailer tongue would have to be modified...so that definitely rules out surge for a Do-it-yourself job.

Alumarine

Captain
You would need an actuator type tongue for surge brakes.
Is your current one welded or bolted on?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Excuse the ignorance - are those electric or surge brakes? If electric, does it include the brake controller unit that goes in the tow vehicle? I'm so very "unhandy" when it comes to auto work...but no problem trying sometime. Also, I checked Amazon.ca (can or from .com because conversion rate and duty might double the cost) and it's not available there...going to try Princess Auto for their $400 kit as suggested earlier by another Canadian. Thing is though, I got a quote from a shop to do the installation for me of electric brakes for only $600! For the extra $200, I would have no problem saving time and making sure it's done right. Other thing is, as far as the electric control unit in the car goes, I have to get that installed by the dealer, so that it doesn't void the warranty. My Hyundai dealer however, does have decent pricing.

Those are surge brakes.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Other thing is, not sure how much more complex it is if the trailer does not already have the backing plate and that also needs to be installed. I was also told that installing surge breaks may actually be more expensive, since my trailer tongue would have to be modified...so that definitely rules out surge for a Do-it-yourself job.

If your trailer doesn't have backing plates, you'll either need to have some welded on or get a new axle. I would almost wonder, with the cost of that, plus having to buy and install the brakes, etc., you might be getting to the point where a new trailer (with brakes) would be looking more attractive. Probably need to price it all out to see if the difference is worth it.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup, for sure - so far, all in for electric with backing plates, price is $600. My trailer might be worth $1,000 if I'm lucky. New trailer with brakes is $2,300. But, if a new trailer is also 200-300lbs lighter...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yup, for sure - so far, all in for electric with backing plates, price is $600. My trailer might be worth $1,000 if I'm lucky. New trailer with brakes is $2,300. But, if a new trailer is also 200-300lbs lighter...
Don't forget price of controller for inside your tow vehicle and breakaway battery and switch. Also, you will have to route a wire from your brake controller to your trailer wiring harness.

Also need to provide all the wiring to the brake controller itself. That part isn't that expensive unless you have someone else do it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Don't forget price of controller for inside your tow vehicle and breakaway battery and switch. Also, you will have to route a wire from your brake controller to your trailer wiring harness.

Also need to provide all the wiring to the brake controller itself. That part isn't that expensive unless you have someone else do it.

are they not plug and play? Seems mine you could buy the harnes to the specific vehicle? I already had one so didn't need.

Plus - get a proportional controller. No questions much better.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
True - thing is, is have to install the control unit in my tow vehicle...even if I bought a new trailer with breaks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agree with the tranny cooler suggestion - Santa Fe Sport already comes with it as part of the package I got.
Factory coolers don't do squat. Nearly every car/truck comes with a factory cooler. Get a scanner that reads tranny temps when you first tow. You will find out soon enough if it is adequate which I really doubt.

With Chevy trucks, almost everyone that tows a lot pulls the factory cooler that sits in front of the radiator and puts one in that is 4 times the size.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
are they not plug and play? Seems mine you could buy the harnes to the specific vehicle? I already had one so didn't need.
Maybe..hard to imagine they would have one for a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe

EDIT: I went to the Tekonsha site. No adapter harnesses.