Spring Boat Prep Work . . . Mantenance, Repairs, Upgrades

tpenfield

Staff member
The Admiral can always tell when Spring is upon us as I rack up many $1,000's on the credit cards with boat stuff purchases. This year is no different. Along with some surprises, I have a fairly substantial list of projects this year, both from an upgrade and a repair perspective, along with the usual maintenance.

Here is my list . . .

Repairs:
  1. Outdrives - New Bearing Carriers (ouch!)
  2. Gimbal Bearing (Starboard)
  3. Port Trim Pump - New Solenoids, refurb mounting bracket
  4. Cabin Headliner - Remove/repair/reinstall
  5. Anchor Locker & Hatch - it's broken

Upgrades:
  1. LED Light bulbs - I will feel so green.
  2. Anchor Roller & New Anchor - I was going to install a windlass, but The outdrive maintenance has 'trumped carded' that for now.
  3. Mechanical Trim Indicators - I have been working (for a while) on a design for a DIY mechanical/electronic trim indicator . . . Those standard trim senders drive me nuts. I hope to come up with something this year.

Maintenance:
  1. The usual lubrication stuff (oil, grease, etc)
  2. Sea Water Pump impellers
  3. Anti-fouling paint . . . an every year thing for us 'salts'

Not a bad list versus the past couple of years, but still will take up the weekends of April and into May. Targeting launch day for Mid-May.

Just thought I would share . . . how long a list are others looking at this year?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, New bearing carriers? I never heard of one that went bad, by itself. Maybe you mean new u joints?

Anyway, my list is new stereo, new waterpump, new water pressure gauge, antifouling paint and repair all the fishing poles that broke.

tpenfield

Staff member
Gee, New bearing carriers? I never heard of one that went bad, by itself. Maybe you mean new u joints?

No . . . bearing carriers . . . as per my "ah Phooey" thread. 16 years w/o proper anode protection (fresh water then) laid waste to the carrier housing. Looks like one of them finally gave way the other is not too far behind.

alldodge

Staff member
[*]Mechanical Trim Indicators - I have been working (for a while) on a design for a DIY mechanical/electronic trim indicator . . . Those standard trim senders drive me nuts. I hope to come up with something this year.

Would be very interested when you get it done. There are some pricy ones out there for trim tabs which could probably be converted

Just thought I would share . . . how long a list are others looking at this year?

:facepalm: I'm not going to make a list this year, it would be way to long and only make me more depressed. :grumpy:

tpenfield

Staff member
As far as the Mechanical Indicators:

There are some mechanical trim indicators on the market that can be purchased and installed... some just operate in the last 3-4 inches of trim cylinder travel. I have seen others that replace the trim sender with a mechanical device. All of these require a separate mechanical linear indicator at the helm.

My F-242 has the first kind that I mentioned and you could trim the outdrive very precisely. I would go that route, but my helm does not really have any space for a linear indicator display.

I am trying to come up with something that is mechanical at the outdrive and interfaces with the standard gauge at the helm. I have a prototype that is working but needs a lot of environment engineering to deal effectively with water and moisture conditions.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
After looking at your list, I'm feeling a little better.We have three boats, and the wife has made a bow cover and two travel covers. We have replaced snap-in carpet on 2 boats, repaired a leaking prop shaft,replaced a bad trim sensor, and replaced bellows on two boats. And two trailers needed new surge brake actuators, and one needed new bearings. I was very happy until I bled the brakes on one trailer, and all the wheel cylinders were leaking (Grrr) I also installed a brand new crate engine in one of the boats also. So Monday I will take off four wheels and hubs that I just repacked, and rebuild all the wheel cylinders. Ain't retirement great.
Dave-R

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I need to install two new on board battery chargers,....

Get the outboard tuned up,......

Mount a new to me Lowrance 113 at the helm,..

And go fishing!!

agallant80

Commander
I need to prep and paint the bottom
Hope by gear lube leaking issue is resolved
Install new VHF

After that I think I am off the hook. I did most of the yearly maintance items in the fall. Its still a good two weekends worth of work though.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
As some of you know, I buy fixxer uppers and put the labor in them and sell them a few years later to upgrade. Not really "flipping" but kinda.

I bought the new to me Rinker very late in the season and it was all I could do to get the water out of the block and fog the engine before storage (although I did get the impeller replaced), so I have a very long list this spring. Will have to get the majors done this year and the details next year.

Plan for 2015
Check compression-if engine needs rebuild that would fit my overall plan, but if it doesn't that'd be great
All fluids completely flushed/filled, motor oil, drive oil, hydraulic fluids
New plugs/wires/tune up parts
Fix leaking trim tab hydraulic line
Grease everything
New anodes
Bottom paint
Check charging system/batteries
Flush fresh water system and decommission (pending admiral approval)
Check operation of bilge pumps/install back up automatic bilge pump
Check operation of lights and additional electrical system
Wash/wax.polish
Add windlass????

Trailer
Replace at least one tire (wrong size-may replace a pair)
Check operation of lights
Grease everything
Get safety inspection (required in Illinois)

Should end up $2500-$3000 (unless major engine problems)

rengnath

Cadet
My boat is fairly new and small so the list isn't too bad. I changed the engine oil and removed the lower unit on my alpha one before putting the boat in storage. I cleaned the hull with Starbrite hull cleaner and waxed the boat and trailer. The only thing that needs to be cleaned on the inside is the carpet. It was late in the year and I didn't want to hose the boat out because it wouldn't dry out 100% before storage.

When I pick up the boat on April 5th, maintenance items include:
Replace raw water impeller and reinstall the lower unit and fill with gear lube
Replace thermostat
Re-torque engine mounts to ensure they are in spec
Change spark plugs after tank of stabilized fuel is gone
Grease bearing buddies on trailer
Check swim platform bolts, reseal with 5200 if necessary (I have read factory Bayliner swim platforms have been known to not have sealed bolts to the transom)
Check all safety equipment, replace as necessary

Upgrades:
Bennett M120 Sport Trim Tabs
Solas Rubex HR 4 Stainless Prop
Aerial Ascent Wakeboard Tower with bimini
4 Lee's Tackle Rod Holders (fit the wakeboard tower for trolling)
6 new rod setups, will increase to 10 or so as summer goes on. Starting with 2-2 color leadcores, 2-3 color leadcores, 2-Slide diver setups.
New LED trailer lights
In-Dash traditional compass with backlight
Remove old depth finder transducer from the transom, seal and fill holes (Replaced with a Lowrance Elite 4 HDI last year)
New vinyl registration numbers
New 4' Digital Antenna VHF with stainless mount (replacing an 8' entry-level Shakespeare with nylon mount)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Entering season 4 of owning my first boat, I've started to notice a trend. During the summer, my "wish list" is pretty long but I spend all my free time doing other things. After fall winterizing, that list shrinks to a "necessary to do list" which remains small all winter. I periodically look at it and think to myself, "sweet I have basically nothing to do this spring and we'll be ready to go!" Until spring cleaning comes around this weekend, and it becomes a long "wish list" once again:

Necessary things I had planned:
Good buff to bring back that shine and remove small scratches, followed by waxing
Check and probably add trim fluid
Clean anodes
Order flush port o-ring
Check/Add wheel bearing grease

Things I added this weekend after sitting on the swim platform with a beer in the driveway:
Polish wakeboard tower and apply Sharkhide so the damn thing doesn't get dull so fast
Treat cover with 303 fabric guard because it will make me feel better
Carpet and interior cleaning
Replace belt
Adjust drum brakes
Black touch-up paint on trailer rust
grease trailer ball and trailer moving parts

I've also been working all winter on a concept design (I'm a nerdy engineer) for a pretty massive LED lighting project including homemade speaker/cupholder rings, transom and gunwale lighting, and music activated lighting.

tpenfield

Staff member
Originally posted by tpenfield View Post
[*]Mechanical Trim Indicators - I have been working (for a while) on a design for a DIY mechanical/electronic trim indicator . . . Those standard trim senders drive me nuts. I hope to come up with something this year.

Would be very interested when you get it done. There are some pricy ones out there for trim tabs which could probably be converted

AD - I have started a new thread on my mechanical trim indicators, as I made some good progress over the past week or so . . .

Here is the thread. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...rim-indicators

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I have an easy spring. Change the engine oil. Hit the water.

oldjeep

Admiral
Fill fuel tank, check tire pressure. That is about it. Did the oil, trans and impeller in the fall.

Twidget

Commander
It's my Dad's old boat that hasnt been used in 2 or 3 years. When I got it, he gave me the old, 'its a good boat and runs like a top'.

I also know a couple of brother in laws that dont take care of jack were the last ones using it...

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, so I fixed up the trim pump for the Port engine and went to install it today. I always have trouble getting the hydraulic lines connected . . .

I get the last line connected and am torquing it a bit . . . the whole fitting snaps off the pump body :facepalm:

Not sure if I can get the remains of the fitting out of the pump, but it sure is going to be a PITA to take the whole thing out again . . . :(