Chrysler steering system??

advachiel6

Cadet
I have a 1972 (?) Chrysler Charger 154 and need to know what kind of steering system it has. I am in the process of restoring said boat and am about to attack the steering system. Any help with be greatly appreciated. As always, a BIG thank you to all on this forum for your input.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Chrysler steering system??

I have a 1972 (?) Chrysler Charger 154 and need to know what kind of steering system it has. I am in the process of restoring said boat and am about to attack the steering system. Any help with be greatly appreciated. As always, a BIG thank you to all on this forum for your input.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya looked at it,..?? describe it...

Is it cable operated,..?? 1 or 2,..??

Is the helm round, or flat, 'n long,..?? any names on it,..?? numbers,..??

Post a Picture or 2...

advachiel6

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya looked at it,..?? describe it...

Is it cable operated,..?? 1 or 2,..??

Is the helm round, or flat, 'n long,..?? any names on it,..?? numbers,..??

Post a Picture or 2...

As soon as the rain stops (boat is outside), I'll give it a good look. At first glance, I didn't see any numbers, names, etc. There is what appears to be just one large plastic tube coming out of a round device behind the dashboard, or is that helm? It is very stiff and goes all the way back to the transom where it attaches to the motor.

Bondo

Staff member

As soon as the rain stops (boat is outside), I'll give it a good look. At first glance, I didn't see any numbers, names, etc. There is what appears to be just one large plastic tube coming out of a round device behind the dashboard, or is that helm? It is very stiff and goes all the way back to the transom where it attaches to the motor.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a single cable rotary helm...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Teleflex makes any number of rotary helms. If you want it to be period correct, buy the cheapest one. If absolute authenticity is not important, buy what you want--no-feedback, big T, or their newest offering that was tested here on iboats.

And, by the way, the 154 does not refer to hull length (15 foot hull). It refers to cubic foot volume, I'm not sure if it is volume of the total hull or the passenger cabin. You can read more about it at The Chrysler Crew.

advachiel6

Cadet

Teleflex makes any number of rotary helms. If you want it to be period correct, buy the cheapest one. If absolute authenticity is not important, buy what you want--no-feedback, big T, or their newest offering that was tested here on iboats.

And, by the way, the 154 does not refer to hull length (15 foot hull). It refers to cubic foot volume, I'm not sure if it is volume of the total hull or the passenger cabin. You can read more about it at The Chrysler Crew.

I'm going to try repairing what is there. The boat was last used in 2007 and it could use nothing more than lubrication. If not, I will opt for a no-feedback system as the motor is an 85HP. I'll check on the system on iboats.
Thanks for the input.