I'm outta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
It seems that my approach to troubleshooting by asking questions of some of the poster(s) who's name(s) I will not share is annoying to such posters. Seeing as how I live in the great white north and the boats don't like ice what would be the point of sticking around the forums to offer FREE advice. Maybe this is a sign from god to take up a winter hobby such as building igloos. Maybe one day i'll come back to the forums when certain posters no longer require FREE HELP and ADVICE. God some people **** me off, edit this post or delete it, makes no difference to me. F_R, i'll be sending you cash tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

Peace to all and merry Christmas.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: I'm outta here

It seems that my approach to troubleshooting by asking questions of some of the poster(s) who's name(s) I will not share is annoying to such posters. Seeing as how I live in the great white north and the boats don't like ice what would be the point of sticking around the forums to offer FREE advice. Maybe this is a sign from god to take up a winter hobby such as building igloos. Maybe one day i'll come back to the forums when certain posters no longer require FREE HELP and ADVICE. God some people **** me off, edit this post or delete it, makes no difference to me. F_R, i'll be sending you cash tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

You give good advice. Give it a break for a few months and come back. There are good moments when you walk a truly appreciative person through a complicated issue, and they thank you profusely when their motor works. Some people wanting help are lazy, have modern day ADD, jump to strange conclusions, don't want to listen to advice, write in understandable English (apologies to those overseas where English is not their first language) or troubleshoot their motor systematically. If someone already knows the answer to their problem, then why are they posting here? Most of the people that give you a hard time are one-time posters that will get frustrated and never post back again. I do not engage them. I have written quite a few "Well, F-YOU TOO" replies, that I delete before I send them. Not worth my time, but it makes me feel better.
Bottom line is what makes these boards work is knowledgeable people like yourself that take the time to try to help people.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

You give good advice. Give it a break for a few months and come back. There are good moments when you walk a truly appreciative person through a complicated issue, and they thank you profusely when their motor works. Some people wanting help are lazy, have modern day ADD, jump to strange conclusions, don't want to listen to advice, write in understandable English (apologies to those overseas where English is not their first language) or troubleshoot their motor systematically. If someone already knows the answer to their problem, then why are they posting here? Most of the people that give you a hard time are one-time posters that will get frustrated and never post back again. I do not engage them. I have written quite a few "Well, F-YOU TOO" replies, that I delete before I send them. Not worth my time, but it makes me feel better.
Bottom line is what makes these boards work is knowledgeable people like yourself that take the time to try to help people.

Yup, I agree with tx1961whaler. You've helped me out in the past and I've read a lot of your posts. No need to let one poster ruin your day, no matter how much they get under your skin.

p.s. We need all the canucks on this forum we can get! Be a shame to lose one with the knowledge you bring.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe one day i'll come back to the forums when certain posters no longer require FREE HELP and ADVICE

Are you angry because people expect free advice or that you expect free advice? not sure which..

Either way, I think these forums have plenty of bartering within these walls. People come here for free information, how-to's, entertainment and companionship and in return you are expected to offer up your advice, experience, knowledge and wisdom in return. Just because paper money is not transferred does not mean something is free.

If someone (or a few someones) are getting under your skin, add them to your ignore list. I try my best to keep my ignore list free and clear, but sometimes people have their moments and a good month or two on the ignore list allows you to regain focus on the importance of coming here.. to help and be helped.

Mac3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gday from down under where if you're not an authourised service agent no one will talk to you. This forum in 18 months has taken me from knowing nothing about the white box hanging off the end of my pride and joy to being I think as good as any outboard tech in my state, I now read the posts and say yep that guy's problem is such and such and he needs to blah blah. This is not theoretical, I have done some major servicing on my ficht 150 and I would not want anybody else to touch it now. All thanks to people like you, please don't let one or two screw your life. I don't know what the story is and I don't want to know but forums without you are not what forums are about.
Stay loose man.
David

trelos67

Seaman Apprentice

G'Day To All,

From another member living in down under, I too have enjoyed your post's and have learnt alot. To loose you from this forum because of a s*it stirrer would be a great shame.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

take a break and come back later!works for me when i start to get antsy,bitchy or worse,lol.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I hear ya, its funny how even one irritating comment or overmoderation can make ya irked...I was at that same point from ONE person messing with me.........I hung in there and they dont bother me now....just ignore them...like lokee says

BTW you're not quite Canadian...you're North America Continent Brothers in boating! :D to heck with the borders! lines on maps anyways!

Rock on!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hear ya, its funny how even one irritating comment or overmoderation can make ya irked...I was at that same point from ONE person messing with me.........I hung in there and they dont bother me now....just ignore them...like lokee says

BTW you're not quite Canadian...you're North America Continent Brothers in boating! :D to heck with the borders! lines on maps anyways!

Rock on!
hear,hear.great thought.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Whew!! Seeing my handle at the end of that shook me up a bit. I know what the money is about, but have no idea what the rest of the stuff is about. Not me, I hope.

But I do understand, I also ignore some of the posts because the ignorance abounds. Nothing wrong with being ignorant, but when they slam you when you try to help--to heck with it.

jonesg

Admiral

some guys, due to their situation or lack of character, can't be helped, they ignore the best expert advise and look for advise thats suits them.
I mean who wants to hear "you have a hole in your piston."

They claim money is tight and proceed to throw parts at an undiagnosed problem. .... funny how that works. Anyway, they scroll off within hrs on this website, the traffic flow is incredible.

Stick around, you are very knowledgable.;)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

A-holes are an inescapable part of the human condition and life on the planet...simply walk away from those who obsess on theirs...stick around for pete's sake. Which reminds me...anyone seen pete lately?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Don't decide not to have anything to do with apples (Apple Pie, Apple Juice, Apple Cider, Apple Sauce, Apples, Apples) Just because of a few bad ones. Most people expect something for nothing, and while you cannot control those that post on here (other than moderation) you can ignore the bad apples...

Ignore those bozos and stick around. You have alot to offer...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The Moderators are aware of your frustration and we are very aware of your sound repair advice.

I agree with many of the comments above and you need to administer the IGNORE function.

Click on the poster's name and view the profile in the top box there are options to Add _____________ to Your Buddy List :rolleyes: or the option Add _________ to Your Ignore List ;)

Adding a person or person's to your IGNORE list will lessen the angst.

Please keep up the great advice.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I for one will be sorry to see you leave. I have went from knowing nothing to being able to fix my own outboard motors. I am a on social security and cannot afford to take my motor to a shop. I do not post all that often if I have a problem I usually try to find the solution in old post as I do not want to bother anyone. Just last week I bought a 1983 70 hp with power tilt and trim and the controls off craighslist for 200 bucks. It needed a starter and carbs cleaned. I done had a old starter from a parts motor. For 5 dollars for a key i now have it running good. I have fixed many a motors thanks to you guys. Anytime I talk to some one else bout fixing their motors I send them here. Even though I am far from being a outboard machanic on you guys level I myself am amazed at some of the stupid questions that come up in here or the rudness, ungratfulness and the demands of some of the idiots that come in here. I sure am grateful and hate to see some one leave that may help me in the future.

kbait

Commander

I feel like I'm losing my brother! How about you just check back occasionally to see if KBAIT needs advice? I'm kinda selfish..haha. Seriously, though, you'll be sorely missed! Hope you reconsider.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

KBAIT, we need to go fishing sometime, maybe meet in the middle LOL

Thanks guys for the kind words, I wasn't looking for a vote of confidence but the replies help. Ken sent me a PM last night that opened my eyes and made me realize that i'm not the only one on here facing the wrath of the "ungrateful" posters. I guess I just feel that helping people no matter if it's the IBOAT forums or helping your neighbour shovel his/her driveway or whatever it may be must have some sort of worth. And when I see comments like I saw last night- it blows my mind, this stuff takes away from time I could be spending doing other things or time with my family, but life is all about give and take. I guess I just have to learn to ignore the bad and just deal with the good. And this had nothing to do with F_R, as I'm sure you all know he's awesome.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Sad to see you go.

Some people do not know enough to give right info the first time. The only way to get to the bottom of a problem is to ask questions due to the fact that none of us were around when the problem first aroose.

As for those who seek our advise and then choose to ignore it- well you can't fix stupid.

Come back from time to time. Goods people are allways missed.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Well I'll just go ahead right now and say "Thank you" for the advice you've given to me in my posts. I appreciate it, and while I'm not gonna send you any money for it, if you're ever across the border in Northern Michigan, feel free to stop by for a brewski. :cool: People like you are what drive a board like this-- Newbs like me needing advice from experienced people like you to help guide us from making bad moves, and maybe we can pass that little experience on to someone else.

If it makes you feel any better, no one listens to me either. All day I advocate brushing, flossing, not drinking pop, etc, and then people show up here with a mouthful of cavities and then blame me for their problems. Just part of life. Shrug it off and move on, I say. :D

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.