Do you ever wana tear up looking at your boat under the cover??

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Do you ever wana tear up looking at your boat under the cover??

Take a week off and float your boat south when ya can't take it anymore. Our forecast is sunny and high of 75 today. Chilly to me but likely just perfect for you.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hear ya guys. What's worse, mine is 300 km away in a shed and the cabin is locked up tight. I can't even tinker til May...:(

So, I spend a lot of time looking at pics...and of course, hangin here with you guys...:D

marinerailway_top-1.jpg

Petrel2-1.jpg

viewfromdeck1.jpg

EmmieTubing1-2-1.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Best we can do here is hang some Christmas lights on the bow rails !!!!
Ours is all tarped up and nowhere to go.
Roll on Spring !!!!

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer

This works for me; I have two boats, a 19' Cobalt, and a 21' Mariah . I have a 40'x50' shop that is heated with gas or a wood stove. I go and cut firewood for a day so I can heat the shop for a week. Last week I sanded and buffed, and waxed both boats. I can think of many things that need upgrading, greasing, tweeking or whatever. My days out in the shop seem to last an hour maybe less. My days at work last a week. When I retire, I'm going to restore boats for a living. My favorite part of restoration is pulling the motor and outdrives. I have bought one boat that needed a new floor, and new motor supports. That was a lot of work. I think it's as satisfying to work on them, as use them. This should keep me from going completly nuts through the winter.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:(:(

This year I finally got a bayliner nice and cheap.....yes I know you all think it's the garbage of the sea, but I love her.

I have to laugh at what you said. Back in 87 when my dad bought his first yamaha ATV, and all his other friends had honda's, yamaha was considered garbage. Guess, what? Ours is still going strong. Theirs are all twisted up and are probably recycled by now.....

Buy a cheap snowmobile and you will be fine.

86 century

Ensign

It is a little sad but look on the bright side. We may not get to use our boats for a few months but when was the last time the ground shook under your feet or you came home and your house had blown away. I will take my winters you can keep the shaking and blowing.

a70eliminator

Captain

Oh gosh, the words TEAR and COVER used in the sentence!

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

One great thing about an outboard, I went out today even though we have already had frost. I plan on going at least once a month unless the lake ices over, which doesn't last long in NC.

DynaSlaker 196

Recruit

I had open heart surgery in Sept. and traded my motorcycle for a boat. I have not had a chance to get it out yet. I had to give up drinking so adult beverages to pass the time are no-no's. I sit and look at my poor covered neglected boat and wait the same as you.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The temps got up to 57 here in Il yesterday. I had mine out on the river. I just drain the water from the engine everytime. My boat is new to me. Still breaking in the new motor on it. As long as the sun is shining and the temps are in the 50's, i'll probably go out again. :D

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

The temps got up to 57 here in Il yesterday. I had mine out on the river. I just drain the water from the engine everytime. My boat is new to me. Still breaking in the new motor on it. As long as the sun is shining and the temps are in the 50's, i'll probably go out again. :D

So you got a new motor? You might want to check out one of the winterizing threads about how to make sure you have "drained all the water". You wouldn't want to have to get a third one.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

when i get the winter blues I check out pics from the summer. A guy in my area has a cool website. He takes pics from our favorite boating place and posts them on the web. Check it out...

http://www.irondequoitbay.com

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Campy, beleive me, i know how to winterize it. The boat had a cracked block from the previous owner.

snmpgh

Cadet

I know just how you feel. This was my first season with my own boat, a new to us 1994 Regal 256. We have always had boats in my family and I know all about how long a winter it is here in Pittsburgh. We pulled the boat in mid October because of a upcoming vacation, but when we got back, we had 2 nice warm weekends in a row and the boat was already winterized and in the storage building. Damn.

Well, the good thing is I don't have to see it all covered with snow since it is abotu 30 min away and in a locked building.

And since my wife has been buying me stuff for the boat (new speakers, new VHF radio) I know she enjoyed her first boating summer.

Cheer up, May is only 6 short months away.

Mike

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I gotta throw my lot in with the bummer group.

Bought my boat on Nov. 15th. The price included shrink-wrapping and storage at the dealership, and prep and warranty start in April.

When I gave the guy the money, I snapped a picture.

This is all I've got until then:

IMG_6609.JPG

...well, that and iBoats. ;)

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a little sad but look on the bright side. We may not get to use our boats for a few months but when was the last time the ground shook under your feet or you came home and your house had blown away. I will take my winters you can keep the shaking and blowing.

No earthquakes in my area so no worries about that.
When hurricanes do come we hitch the boat and enjoy a vacation at a lake in a different city. When Ike and Rita came through there was a bunch of people heading North with boats in tow. I got a solid week of boating thanks to hurricane Ike.

And yes, I'm only writing this to rub it in yalls face. Did I mention I was fishing with a client earlier today? :)

a70eliminator

Captain

I gotta throw my lot in with the bummer group.

Bought my boat on Nov. 15th. The price included shrink-wrapping and storage at the dealership, and prep and warranty start in April.

When I gave the guy the money, I snapped a picture.

This is all I've got until then:

IMG_6609.JPG

...well, that and iBoats. ;)

Oh my, and the tires are on the ground! Tsk Tsk Tsk. (from another thread lol)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

what kills me about the winter time, or off-season, is how other things seem to take priority. in the summer, my boat came first. always fixing it, adding things, heck i even made a winter work list. but now that it is parked, the work, holidays, kids, school, etc seem to be taking over. Havent even touched it since the last trip. thats what bugs me, is how all summer long in 100+ heat i work on it, but havent made enough excuses to get to work on it now that its parked.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

here are some ideas.

1) get some rope and teach yourself to splice line. Then make some new dock lines.

2) Go back and review the meaning of buoys that you forgot since boating class, so your ready for offshore runs.

3) Do the book work for SCUBA so you can do the open water dives this spring. Then you have yet another justification for a boat.

4) You've got a tow vehicle, tow a float in the Christmas parade. We actually have a Christmas parade on the river.

5) Volunteer at the local animal shelter. Not boating related but they can always use the help and you may find a new friend.

6) If none of those work, hone your boating skills watching reruns of McHale's Navy. :D

2003MVB

Recruit

I Bought A 89 Bass Tracker In Dec.2008 Just Needed Tlc. So I Bought Wood And Carpet Ss. Screws Etc... In Feb. Lost My Job. That Sucked But I Had The Time To To Take Care Her.that Took 3 Weeks, The Next Thing Was The Motor.i Had No Money To Spend So She Sat.started Working Again Saved Money Until Nov.2009 Took Her In For Motor Work.found Out The Motor Was Tired Had No Tilt/trim So I Bought A Good Used Motor With Tilt/trim. So I Know The Pain Of Not Boating For A While.she Is Still At The Shop So I Know The Pain Of Not Being Able To Work On Her. It's Like A Member Of My Family Missing .lol.