Plans for Building a Cantilever Boat Lift - any ideas?

scjakester

Seaman
Hello all, hoping someone out there might have some tips for me. A friend of mine is an electrical contractor and just finished up a pretty big job that left a good bit of heavy-gauge scrap galvanized tubing. He basically pointed me toward the pile and said "have at it" and I'd like to use some of it to build a cantilever boat lift. I'm sure I'd need to purchase some parts and connectors and gizmos, but it could be a fun summer project and a real good excuse to get wet. :)

** I have a 21' pontoon boat with a small 50hp outboard.

** The water beside the dock goes from 3' in the winter to about 6' in the summer.

Not looking for anything real fancy, maybe a manual crank style lift like the one in the picture. Anyone know of a set of plans available for purchase, or if you've done it and wouldn't mind sharing your experience with it any help or guidance would certainly be appreciated.

Jake A.
Lake Murray
South Carolina

.cantileverboatlift.gif

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: Plans for Building a Cantilever Boat Lift - any ideas?

Just keep in mind it will be mighty heavy and will rust like crazy. Painting it might help, but only temporarily.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Using ridgid electrical conduit?
Which is Sched 40 steel pipe?
I think it is even "softer" than Sched 40 water pipe so that it can be bent.
If it is electro-galvanized, it is somewhat better than painted in the anti-corrosion department.
Every welded joint will rust before any other portion of it.

scjakester

Seaman

Using ridgid electrical conduit?
Which is Sched 40 steel pipe?

He has a bunch of 2" galvanized Schedule 40 that I can use. The longest pieces are 12' and threaded on the ends.

scjakester

Seaman

I was thinking the galvanized stuff would hold up pretty good in fresh water. So you guys think it will rust away pretty quick? -Jake

scjakester

Seaman

If galvanized schedule 40 will rust too badly under water, I wonder if I'd be better off using that metal to build a cradle style boat lift instead? I purchased my house about a year ago, the previous owner had a cradle lift but he sold it off before he let the home go. I still have 4 unused 8" wide pilings beside my dock spaced 12' apart. There's also 220v electrical installed that once powered the previous owners lift. Would a cradle lift instead of cantilever style lift be a better choice for the project?

2.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just keep in mind Feet and Pounds, Ft-lbs. One pound of weight one foot away from the center of a cantilever exerts 1 Ft-lb of force on the arm, 10 ft away is 10#, 20 ft is 20# or 10# 1 foot away is 10#, or 20# 1 ft away is 20#. Weigh your boat and measure the distance to the center of the boat (averaging the distance for the feet part). Then ensure that your support can support the weight (distance in ft X weight in #) and you might put in a 2:1, at least, safety factor for high winds.

HTH,

Mark