does anyone know what the fine is for operating a boat without a license
in new jersey.

thanks jenny o

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat license fine

It appears:

Penalties for boating law violators include:
Operating a power boat without completing a boating safety course: minimum $100, maximum $500 fine.
Failing to carry or exhibit a license when operating a power boat on nontidal waters: up to $500 fine and/or up to 60 days imprisonment.

Refer to website: http://www.safetyfirstboating.com/njlaw.htm

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

in new jersey.

thanks jenny o

I have no idea..... however, the fine is more money then taking a proper boating course.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Guess I won't move to NJ - sounds like anything to get more money out of ya. I did not know you need a licence to operate a boat! Must be a NJ thing!

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Technically, to operate on any waters in NJ a boating safety certificate is required. To operate on non-tidal waters, an endorsement on the driver's license is also required and you can't get the endorsement without the safety certificate.

Having taken the class and received my cert, I have to say that it's definitely a good class but the instructor is also the one that administers the test and they tend to make it too easy to pass. If it was like the written driver's test and administered by the state, it would take 100x longer to get to take the test and only people who learned something in class would get to operate.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Guess I won't move to NJ - sounds like anything to get more money out of ya. I did not know you need a licence to operate a boat! Must be a NJ thing!
Not really, more State than not now require some sort of the boating certificate to operate in their waters.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Guess I won't move to NJ - sounds like anything to get more money out of ya.

Yep, needing a boat license would definitely be a deal-breaker for me, if I was planning to move to another state.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This would be one of the lowest on my list of deal breakers. Job availabilit, taxes and housing might be slightly higher. :)

Jonathan3206

Seaman

It is required in Texas. But I have been boating for 22 years. Never had one.

They have never asked.

But if you were born before Sep 1983 you dont need it.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As of June 09 all boaters in NJ had to have a boaters license and approved boaters safety course certificate, and carry the document. I wonder where jeno got nailed and who nailed her.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would you move to another state if they didn't require a drivers license in NJ? Does a drivers license make you a better driver? Do all drivers have a driver license? Do all drivers have insurance? Silly questions eh?

What can I say... take a course and get the license. At least you'll be doing the RIGHT thing not to mention; it's the law.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just get the certification. Cheaper than the fine and less worrying while you are out there trying to avoid the authorities.
Compulsory here as of September 2009.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

in new jersey.

thanks jenny o

Did you get a ticket or just curious?:confused:

If you got a ticket, I would suggest you take the boaters course and get the license before going to court. Having the certification and license in hand might help you avoid the fine. This worked for me in the past :p (long, long ago). If needed get a continuance before the court date to give you more time.