Should I ask to have my little girl transfered to another Kindergarten class

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
My youngest is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks, We went to the orientation last night and to get the paper work and class assignment. They had to add another K class this year and drop a 2nd grade class. The teacher that was the 2nd grade teacher is now the new K teacher. Okay here is where it gets interesting.
Before class assignment we could request not to be placed with certain teachers but we didn't have a problem until the move with the new class added (Did not know about the added class until last night). The new K teacher is my little girls class. That teacher is my wife's boss ex-wife. (was a very heated divorce, Very public happening for this small town, He is a physician and she is a teacher ) My wife's boss step kids had problems with her in school (nothing major but a little troublesome).

Everyone we talked that had dealing with her had nothing but good things to say about her teaching habits. The rule is you cannot ask to be transferred to another class after assignment, I imagine I could go to the school board and make a plea for conflict of interest, But I'm afraid if I say something things could get ugly, Or things could get ugly if I don't.
I want my daughters first year in school to be a pleasant one and not one where she dreads going to school.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Should I task to have my little girl transfered to another Kindergarten class

Re: Should I task to have my little girl transfered to another Kindergarten class

dooma, as crazy ugly as divorces can, and usually do, get, I can't see this woman being dumb enough to jeopardize her career to get back at an ex's employee. unless your wife was instrumental in the divorce proceedings, i can't see that being the case.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have done her job and if she is professional (and i hope she is ) you probiby have nothing to worry about. I have worked with kids whose parents have connections with my family (not good ones) and they get treated the same. But if your kid is not happy with the teacher fight all the way . good luck

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you, your wife, or your kid had any troubles with her, personally?

There are plenty of crazy people out there, don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine that she's planning to "take it out" on your kid.

As for your wife's boss' step kids having trouble with her in school- who knows. There are two sides to every story. Maybe she did treat them differently, which is totally inappropriate, and she should be fired. Or, maybe the parents undercut her classroom authority during dinnertime discussions (I would be willing to bet that they had a secret funny nickname for her at home, rendering her classroom management ineffective). One negative remark about Ms. So-n-so, and the kid thinks they have a right to act as they want. (I'm a teacher, so I might have a little bias, here).

Most teachers have plenty to keep track of without going after 6 year olds.

Personally, I would give it a go, and just monitor it closely.

Respectfully,
Jeff

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

surprised you even asked. change in a heat beat! if you even think there is a chance for a situation to arise, why take that risk?

i would think she, the teacher, would feel the same

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you are allowed to request a different teacher before the term starts and you wish to do so, don't give a reason why. Just tell the school that you want another teacher and leave it at that.

Otherwise, just roll with it. Frankly, unless you have specific and verifiable information to confirm that this woman makes a habit of messing with kids, when she has a beef with the parents, you are building something up in your own head that will mostly likely never happen.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Unless somehow you or your wife was involved in the divorce, I wouldn't let it affect your and your child's relationship with her. Being a 2nd grade teacher might help her to focus the kids on more advanced topics giving your child an edge.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Have you met her yet? I would think if your kid is going to her class you would have the expectation of meeting her in person. Do a meet and greet with your wife present and watch her interaction with the both of you (especially your wife). If all seems well, thank her for shifting her attention to K from her 2nd grade teachings and look forward to your daughter's 1st year of government school, where you ship your kids to be taught by people you don't trust :rolleyes:.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well after a discussion with the wife we decided to let things as they are. The teacher does not know my wife works for the "ex", plus I wouldn't think it would matter anyway.
Everyone that we talked to that knows her or had any relations with her(Except the ex-spouse) assured us that she would not hold anything against us or my daughter. I think more or less the main reason I even asked the question was response my wife got from her boss/Dr. I feel better from the response we have gotten from parents that had kids in her class. We go next week for the teacher student meeting and we will get everything out then as well with the principal.
We have had nothing but good relations with the school as my oldest just "Graduated" from the primary school (K,1,2 grades) last year so we know the school very well.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yea I think you are worried too much. Worry about your daughter getting a good advance on life rather than the crap behind her teachers situation.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Knowing someone on a personal level cannot be judged on what they do in their profession. I know many that are great at what they do, but I sure wouldn't want to go have a beer or go fishing with them.

My mother was a teacher and her students were always the number one to her. Dad and I seemed to always be second, but dad was lucky. He didn't get educated by her,,,,however school always continued once I got home from school :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Much ado about nuthin..
If ya made a stink, Y'all would replace that nasty divorce as the hot topic.;)
sounds like a small town..