Affordable Pontoon Boat Enclosure Ideas

smcmitch

Recruit
I have recently purchased a used pontoon boat and am looking for an affordable way to enclose it from wind and rain. It would be nice to be able to drive the boat from inside a weatherproof enclosure while being protected from the weather and still be able to walk out and cast a line or something. I have found some really nice enclosures online for about $1500 but cannot afford to spend that much. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Affordable Pontoon Boat Enclosure Ideas

I have recently purchased a used pontoon boat and am looking for an affordable way to enclose it from wind and rain. It would be nice to be able to drive the boat from inside a weatherproof enclosure while being protected from the weather and still be able to walk out and cast a line or something. I have found some really nice enclosures online for about $1500 but cannot afford to spend that much. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

If ya don't wanta spent the money for isinglass,...
You could use builder's 6mil poly, but it's pretty hard to see through...

The Clear stuff Co$t$...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Left%20Page_Cape%20Islander_M.jpg

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Although not as humorous as the previous responses, if you have a bimini already, you might want to look at one of these... Well I tried to post a link then search for shademate rain shield

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member

Although not as humorous as the previous responses, if you have a bimini already, you might want to look at one of these... Well I tried to post a link then search for shademate rain shield

Ayuh,... The new software here doesn't allow competitor's weblinks,...

Sorry....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

one of our posters here used a clear shower curtain.......it cost 10 bux.....and worked fantastic.....

a little ingenuity......a few bux.....and done

smcmitch

Recruit

Thanks. I like the rain shield idea. I do already have a bimini top so that would work well. The poncho really isn't that bad of an idea either.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

When I built my top I got my window plastic from Wal Mart in the sewing department, it is really thick and close to what is used in pop up campers and it was @$4-$5 a yard, the stuff from our top supplier was around $13 a linear foot and that was an employee deal, obviously went with the Wal Mart stuff and it has held up really well foir 4-5 seasons now.

Your biggest problem is going to be making something that is strong enough to to take the beating of being on the water, it is going to have to stand up to 30 mph winds from any direction and you will need one giant anchor, that much top makes a nice sail.

Mine is on a V-hull boat and I started with a bimini top wiht the feet bolted to the boat so I can run 15 mph without stressing it too much and have been out in winds aproaching 20 mph and you get blown around alot but it is really nice being inside, I have a wireless troller and an electric anchor so I can operate the boat from inside and you only have to go outside to cast and real them in.

Attachments

• P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0