pros VS cons of composite propeller

reece3223

Cadet
i am thinking about purchasing a piranha composite propeller for my 18 foot fiberglass IO any one have first hand experience using a composite prop?

thanks in advance

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: pros VS cons of composite propeller

the first and last one i owned blew a blade right off while pulling a heavy tube lol true story maybee 200 horse is too much for them wouldnt really say any pros about them besides cost but u get what you pay for

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

IMO they are pretty much for emergency use only :rolleyes:
I would never go out with one as my main prop :(

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Agreed, they make a good spare, cause the don't weight much.

Do youself a favor, get a Hustler/Legacy, absolutely best aluminum prop on the market. iboats sells them, and I think they are still on sale.

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to disagree. I have a 4 blade comp prop on my 3.0LX. Hole shot is so much quicker and top end even went up a couple of mph's.

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As others have stated, they are good for spares, but that's about it.

You get what you pay for.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I have to disagree. I have a 4 blade comp prop on my 3.0LX. Hole shot is so much quicker and top end even went up a couple of mph's.

What did you compare it to?

Comprops were an inexpensive alternative when introduced, but there are no longer cheaper than some of the aluminum props. We have had two very different experiences with them. My father has been running one, on a pontoon boat with merc75, for 8 seasons with great results. When I needed a new prop this was the first on I purchased. Compared to "factory" merc 3 blade, it was an improvement. Lower planing speed, faster hole shot, better low speed control.

BUT

When all 4 blades seperated from the hub while pulling a tuber, the decision to never run composite again was a no brainer.

I replaced it with a Turning Point Hustler, and never looked back. Even though the hustler was only a 3 blade, it is vented and the hole shot about the same as the composite 4 blade, and top speed was considerably higher at the same RPM (+/- 50).

I paid $86 for the composite, $113 for the Hustler and another iboats user just purchased one from this site for $92 shipped. The math just doesn't add up, skip the plastic.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

my comp prop worked well for several mos. untill I banged it on a rock.
you generaly get what you pay for in most everything including boat props:cool:

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my comp prop worked well for several mos. untill I banged it on a rock.
you generaly get what you pay for in most everything including boat props:cool:

which is what its made to do.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

which is what its made to do.

yep, snapped it off while drifting with another boat. saw we were getting too close to the bank and when i went to start 'er up it fired and then died- never done that before. restarted and quickly felt a bad vibration -idle speed back to the ramp.
could not bring myself to buy another comp prop.
Aluminum and SS props have a rubber bushing made to spin/ break before the driveline.
i put my old 3 blade SS prop back on and have run it ever since. the 4 blade comp prop lowerd my WFO 200-300rpm and had a hell of a holeshot. i could trim it out a good bit further without blow out.

rippest

Recruit

I had a 4 blade composite prop for waterskiing to get out the hole faster with my mercruiser 3L 135 horse. It was a fraction of the cost of a stainless steel four blade.

I could tell the shape of the prop changed at higher speeds and there for the top speed was less than the metal 3 blade.

It was not very durable and it self destructed when I drove over a sandbar which a metal one would have gone through unscathed.

My main reasoning for purchasing it was the cost.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

You all are making me nervous. I just ordered an OMC original Lexan prop to reduce pitch on my 6hp due to heavy boat issues. Only prop I could find at this time.

However, on my big boats I have destroyed a few aluminum props on submerged rocks in the local river. Save my SS prop for Bay only use.:D

reece3223

Cadet

I have had my composite prop out on the lake 7 or 8 times. The hole shot is faster top speed is about the same.

have hit a few sand bars and rocks getting to and from the islands no failure as of yet a few scuffs on the blades but overall not a bad purchase,

I bought the composite prop to save the drive

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was told do not run a ss prop you risk bending your prop shaft if you hit something. Run a alum. prop is what I was told. I run a 135 hp I/O for several years with a pro-pulse adjustable comp. prop. As of yet no problems. I have several hundred hours of use, never it anything except a small rock at the boat dock, very little damage just marked up the tips of a prop. I boat storage place moved my boat with the outdrive down and broke a prop blade off, but no damage to the outdrive.
I bought the pro-pulse to determine what pitch I wanted for my boat otherwise I was going to guess. I can adjust the pitch to finetune how I want the boat to run. I think my 3 blade alum prop is faster, but it also over props the boat and only lets the engine run up to 3800 rpms (better top end speed), but I do not want the engine this much over proped. At this time I would purchase another pro-pulse. I assume if I hit a log it could take all the blades off the prop where an alum. would bend up. Suppose to only break one or two blades if you hit something leaving you with acouple un damaged blades. You can just replace the blades if you break one. By the way the alum props with the rubber hubs have left fishermen in trouble when the rubber hub goes bad. Grandpa had this happen and got towed in by the Coast Guard, so nothing is bullet proof. Pro-pulse is recommend for under 300hp.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a pro pulse 4 blade adjustable pitch comp prop and I love the thing. I have used it all summer long with no problems. I have towed tubers and hit a sand bars a couple of times. Only a few scratches on one of the blades. I like the fact I can pitch it down for towing and have a great hole shot and in 15 minuites take it back to a 21 and have a high top end. And if someday I do throw a blade they are 20 dollars and take up much less space in my boat then a hole prop. I am running a 99 75hp merc on a 18ft bass boat.