I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric.

smasterson2

Seaman
I bought the boat brand new, pulled a zero hours, brand new 3.0 Mercruiser and put it on a pallet. Here is a link to video.
The first is the boat cruising effortlessly at 25mph.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's awesome! Very sweet install, I'd love to see the look on the faces if you put her in an all electric lake!

smasterson2

Seaman
Thank you. It's funny you say that. That was exactly my thought!. Unfortunately, most all electric lakes are no wake as well. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to resist. But then again, what would they use to catch me? Thanks again.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
How long do you estimate the battery to last(battery health wise until you have to replace it).
How much weight is the battery and motor and all the other things you needed for it to replace the gas engine?

jkust

Rear Admiral
For a prototype, that looks very well done. The engines remind me of the look of jet engines. That would be a cool addition to the fleet. It's funny, all of the stuff that electric now excludes is all the stuff I love on a boat. The Captains Call people will surely be calling you soon.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice setup. But it isn't maintenance free. I am sure everything is nice now, but if or when something does happens, and we all know that it will, be it a controller, batteries or even wiring or the motor itself, it is going to cost through the...well...you know what. And since it is being charged via an outlet, it does cost something to run. However, sounds nice and seem to be great to go like that. I am sure the initial cost was quite expensive. I say enjoy it while everything is working great. :thumb: :thumb:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I love the quiet operation - very cool! No maintenance? That's incredible

How long will those batteries last? How much to replace them, and what is the fate of the used-up batteries?

Very impressive setup, looks professional, great job!

oldjeep

Admiral
Nice setup. But it isn't maintenance free. I am sure everything is nice now, but if or when something does happens, and we all know that it will, be it a controller, batteries or even wiring or the motor itself, it is going to cost through the...well...you know what. And since it is being charged via an outlet, it does cost something to run. However, sounds nice and seem to be great to go like that. I am sure the initial cost was quite expensive. I say enjoy it while everything is working great. :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah, that first trip out forgetting the plug might ruin more than just a starter.

smasterson2

Seaman
How long do you estimate the battery to last(battery health wise until you have to replace it).
How much weight is the battery and motor and all the other things you needed for it to replace the gas engine?

They are 57v, 57ah modules made by Tesla for the Smart Car. I have 10 of them. 5 in parallel and 2 in series. The batteries will last at least 2,500 charges if not completely depleted. (Which you should never do for a number of common sense reasons.) Seeing as I am 54 years old and go out maybe twice a week, they will most likely out live me. (Or at least my physical ability to go out on the water.) The modules weigh 42 pounds each for a total of 420 pounds. The motor and controllers weigh 225 pounds. The 3.0L weighs 515 pounds. I pulled the gas tank and that was 25 pounds. All told, the conversion put me 105 pounds over. (I guess that's one less really skinny rider that can go along.) Thanks for the questions.

smasterson2

Seaman
For a prototype, that looks very well done. The engines remind me of the look of jet engines. That would be a cool addition to the fleet. It's funny, all of the stuff that electric now excludes is all the stuff I love on a boat. The Captains Call people will surely be calling you soon.
Thank you very much for the kind words. I am a bit of an old school motorhead, so I think I know what you mean by all the stuff you love, (the rumble of the motor, etc.). But the flip side is I got used to the quiet, odor free operation really quick. I'm starting to get up in the years and that's probably better for my lungs. Maybe Captains Call can make an audio device to replicate motor rumble for when I pull up to restaurants on the lake. :laugh:

jkust

Rear Admiral
All told, the conversion put me 105 pounds over. (I guess that's one less really skinny rider that can go along.) .

Sure but given you will never have the weight of the gas, I'd say you are close to break even. Pretty amazing actually. Boating Magazine featured a prototype electric boat similar to this several years back before you even heard about Tesla cars like we do today. Given you are a guy working out of his garage for his own personal use, I'd call this quite an accomplishment actually. As for the Captains Call comment, form a company put this in the works and watch the offers to buy your company roll in either to stop you or something else.

Last edited: