Mcculloch 7.5hp Questions

Hi, I have just acquired a 1964'ish 7.5 hp Outboard. I have intentions of restoring this motor. I was just wondering if there might be somewhere I might be able to get info on everything from spark plugs to oil ratios etc. Does anyone know of an online information site I might be able to use?

To start with, it has spark, but for some reason does not spark to the Plug Tail. It will only spark to the body if the plug electrode is right up against the body. I think it therefore wont jump far enough. Could this be the condenser and points?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Mcculloch 7.5hp Questions

Yes, it likely is the points. I would pollish the points and re-set the gap. While you're in there, check over the condition of the ignition system. Those old 7.5 McCullochs are an interesting motor. It's most likely the smallest outboard built with a battery charging system and electric start. At least the one I had, had that feature. They also have the Bail-o-matic feature, for sucking water out of a leaky boat. You can google your motor and probably find some info on it, or go to the AOMCI website and post a thread in "Ask A Member" section. I know the Scott Guy is very knowledgeable about Scott/McCulloch outboards and may offer you further information.

That is brilliant info thanks. I have been browsing around and found a few threads in regard to this motor. It appears as though parts in New Zealand are going to be hard to find.

Great thanks. I have just sanded the entire motor down to bare aluminium and am prepping it to take a clearcoat overtop to maintain a metallic finish,. the only painted parts will be the engine cowl. the aluminium is still in great nick. I have look at the points and condensers, and one of the points look burnt out.

Does anyone know per chance what the equivalent size capacitor would be to one of these old condensers?

M

mrcrabs

I didn't see anybody mention http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ I have heard it said the bought out Mcculloch's stock years ago and as far as I know they will have most anything you need Mcculloch.

I have 1963 Elgin branded Mcculloch, first outboard I ever owned and then I got a girl friend...the rest is history, Good luck

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, Elgins were mostly built by McCulloch and West Bend. What size mrcrabs?

Willyclay

Captain

Does anyone know per chance what the equivalent size capacitor would be to one of these old condensers?

I'll wager that forum guru F_R probably has the factory documentation for that motor. If he does not post in your thread with the info, try sending him a PM.

Great Thanks , I did get a response from Laing Outboards in NY who was happy to ship to NZ, He has access to most Electrics and Gaskets, O rings etc.

M

mrcrabs

Yep, Elgins were mostly built by McCulloch and West Bend. What size mrcrabs?​

I will have to get it out and check for sure, and I will take picture of it and post it and the model number one of these's days but I have always believed it to be a 7.5, it's McColloch white with a purpelish Elgin hood,

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hahaha yea, I'm up to 12 myself. I'm addicted to these darned things and can't leave them alone. As soon as I get one home, I usually get it running the next day, so at least I have a good running collection. So far, I just have a '58 Evinrude fisherman with a blown rod and a 1hp Tanaka that needs starter pawls. I had one of those old McCulluch 7.5's once. I got it with bad waterpumps and a discolored head. It ran okay after I replaced the waterpumps. I never could understand why Scott/McCUlloch thought it was a good idea to put a waterpump above water, when everyone else put it below the water. LOL

M

mrcrabs

I got a real bad addiction going on for the Eska built twins and there electronics, my single cylinder collection desires have been fulfilled, I even have a brand New tecumseh 817 engine still in the box sitting around But in my dreams I hear that old Johnny 70hp looper hittin 5600 rpm screaming up the Ohio river to my favorite catfish hole....springs coming just around the bend....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I fixed and sold several of those old Eska singles. Pretty good little engines and pretty light weight. I haven't yet seen a twin cylinder Eska. They look like an interesting one.

I hear ya about waiting for Spring. I have a 1959 Lone Star Newport 15 1/2' Aluminum boat with a 1959 Johnson 35 on it, that I'm anxious to hit the water with. :D

It is a great place to call home. Great fishing, I live in the lakes district, so good trout fishing and 40 minutes to the coast.
I am building a Sailing catamaran into a light fishing vessel. Hence the need to restore the Mcculloch.

Willyclay

Captain

I am building a Sailing catamaran into a light fishing vessel. Hence the need to restore the Mcculloch.

That should be a very stable fishing platform. Good luck with the McCulloch. Those old two-strokes will not die, they have to be murdered!

M

mrcrabs

hey Shultsz to bad were so far apart in the world, I would donate you my 7.5 McC for a parts motor if I thought it would help you out.
I checked out ebay last night and it seems spares are gold for these things but the consumer in me has beat out the capitalistic drive I once had....oh how the aging proccess changes a man....LOL

I have a 1959 Lone Star Newport 15 1/2' Aluminum boat with a 1959 Johnson 35 on it
Zerphyr did you get my whole post before I edited it? I get to writing a book and then go back and delete it, yep my first love was a 1963 fiberglass lonestar runabout with a red 57 ? johnson 35hp, I have looked for pictures of that model lonestar but never found any....it had 4 molded in fiberglass seats and a Ogah horn from a model T, my uncle had a Redfish with twin 35s I remember they were chromed out alot more than my old johnson but shaped the same, man would that redfish fly for back in the day....but every bodys dead and gone except me so no one to reminisce with anymore.

hey Shultsz to bad were so far apart in the world, I would donate you my 7.5 McC for a parts motor if I thought it would help you out.
I checked out ebay last night and it seems spares are gold for these things but the consumer in me has beat out the capitalistic drive I once had....oh how the aging proccess changes a man....LOL

Thanks for the thought anyways. I would have really appreciated that. Its down to bare metal now, so moving along. Going to remove the Aluminium strips on the cowling and replace them with varnished ply, hoping it looks ok.