1986 mercruiser 3.7-470 steering at slow no wake issue

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I dont know if this the right area to be in for this -- but 1986 winner escape 1750 with a 470 -- problem is when going slow/no wake zones . this thing is ALL OVER THE PLACE -- i can not keep it in a straight line , constantly over steering -- could it be a ram problem ? steer pump issue ? - it steers like a new boat when up on a plane -- new prop -- complete and STRAIGHT skag as well -- I have torqued down gimble ring bolts as well #28 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=50&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER

anyone else have this problem :confused:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1986 mercruiser 3.7-470 steering at slow no wake issue

Should be in non-engine related but..

You probably have some slop in your steering. WIth the engine off and the drive being held by something or someone, turn the wheel back and forth and see how much play you have in it.

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no play in wheel --as soon as i touch out drive wheel starts to move -- a little on the frustrating side

Bondo

Staff member

I dont know if this the right area to be in for this -- but 1986 winner escape 1750 with a 470 -- problem is when going slow/no wake zones . this thing is ALL OVER THE PLACE -- i can not keep it in a straight line , constantly over steering -- could it be a ram problem ? steer pump issue ? - it steers like a new boat when up on a plane -- new prop -- complete and STRAIGHT skag as well -- I have torqued down gimble ring bolts as well #28 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=50&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER

anyone else have this problem :confused:

Ayuh,.... It's usually an Operator Error problem,...

V-hulls do that, give it less steerin' input, 'n it'll generally wag back by itself,...
Nearly constant, but tiny adjustments,...
Just use tiny turns of the wheel, 'n wait,...

RCAnderson

Seaman

Pretty normal behaviour for an I\O V hull. If you have them, put your trim tabs all the way down when going slow, it seems to help. And as Bond-o said, it's mostly operator error, over-correcting. Give the boat time to react to your steering input.

alldodge

Staff member

no play in wheel --as soon as i touch out drive wheel starts to move -- a little on the frustrating side

You gave me the impression it really is all over the place, but if it just wonders back and forth then it's normal as Bond-o mentioned

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You gave me the impression it really is all over the place, but if it just wonders back and forth then it's normal as Bond-o mentioned

You are probably CORRECT in operator error -- in fact i know i am over steering i will give it time and try not to react so fast thanks for the help