How to save my transmission on the ramp?

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
I launch solo, and the new ramp I use is pretty steep. After I back down till the transom is in the water, I put my truck in park you can feel the vehicle roll down a bit as I let go of the brake..

I get out, I unhook the bow chain - and unclip the winch. Hand the bow line to the marina attendant, get into my truck, and when I switch to R the transmission goes with a loud BANG.

I *know* this is bad for my transmission, but how to avoid it? I don't have a first mate to unhook the chain, and I don't like the idea of backing down the ramp and slamming on the brakes, without the bow chain on...

Any advice here, or thoughts on this? Tow vehicle is '03 GMC Envoy. How bad is this on the tranny, really??

EDIT: sorry mod if wrong section, I was thinking of the launching as "towing" and trailering, feel free to move if need be.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How to save my transmission on the ramp?

Set the parking brake before putting the transmission in park.

zachbj2

Cadet

stop your car and put it in neutral. then put on your parking break and let off the brake pedal. then shift into park. this will take the load off your transmission

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And when you leave, put your foot on the brake, take the transmission out of park, THEN release the parking brake. If you release the parking brake first and don't have your foot on the brake you just defeated what you did initially. And for those of you who don't understand what problems this BANG can create, it can round off the parking pawl teeth to the point where the car will not be held in place when in park. You may also find yourself undable to get the vehicle out of park if the pressure on the pawl is too great. It then requires a slight tug forward to release that pressure.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thansk guys! I knew the trick was in the parking brake, but wanted to get the facts before I do this again tomorrow...

Thanks for the elaborated explanation, Silvertip.

Is it likely to have caused any damage if I id this 4 or 5 times last weekend? Or that should be ok, just the repeated abuse would wear out those pawls?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your all set. Just make sure you set the parking brake before putting tranny in park from now on. Then take out of park before releasing parking brake.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I always turn my steering wheel all the way one way........that way if my auto tranny lets go......at least the car wont sink :) It'll just run into the dock.

Pontuned

Seaman Apprentice

Thansk guys! I knew the trick was in the parking brake, but wanted to get the facts before I do this again tomorrow...

Thanks for the elaborated explanation, Silvertip.

Is it likely to have caused any damage if I id this 4 or 5 times last weekend? Or that should be ok, just the repeated abuse would wear out those pawls?

Pawl is good or bad, if you still have park you are good. definitely use the park brake as instructed here and you should have no issues.

GL

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

make sure your parking brake actually works too! more often then not, it won't engage enough to actually hold a vehicle on a ramp. You need to adjust the star adjusters on the parking brakes to get them within spec.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just don't do what I did and pull the boat back up a muddy "four wheel drive ramp" (read river bank) with the parking brake still engaged.:eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree, the secret is in the parking brake.

elkhunter338

Also for those of us with low range, use it at the boat ramp to pull your boat out. You will save your transmission or clutch.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure your parking brake actually works too! more often then not, it won't engage enough to actually hold a vehicle on a ramp. You need to adjust the star adjusters on the parking brakes to get them within spec.

I've owned this vehicle less than a month, it seems to work, but I have not tested it on the ramp yet. The safety inspection ensured it worked, so thats a given. I know I have to use it or it'll seize (every car I ever owned ended up with a seized parking brake)

lncoop: it would be impossible to do that, my vehicle emits a LOUD dinging sound when the brake is even slightly engaged, and the transmission is in D. :) Took a second to figure out what the heck that dinging sound was for!

elkhunter, I have low range, but.... I'm not sure I understand how it would help save the tranny? Either way, you'd have to use park brake to set park. I used 4 high last retrieve to get up the wet steep ramp with no problems, but why use low?

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think you need low range to pull the boat up the ramp, but if you got it why not use it? I always put mine in low range just until I get up the ramp just because there is no reason not to, whether I NEED it or not. My son in law was a mechanic at the GMC dealership for a few years and that is what he said to do.

I have a 98 Envoy and I always put it in park before putting on the parking brake, so I learned something reading this thread. I will always put it in neutral, apply the parking brake and then put it in park from now on. Thanks.

elkhunter338

Oceanbreeze and others.
Low range give you a lower gear and to get a heavy load started on a steep hill (boat ramp) you use low range so you do not have to slip the clutch to get the tow vehicle and boat up the ramp. Or in an auto tranny you do not slip the torque converter as much, so you build less heat, and it is just easier on the transmission.
I use low range all the time to pull the boat out of the ramp, back the camp trailer into a tight spot so I do not have to slip the clutch. My clutch will last longer. If you find your self slipping the clutch or the truck seems hard to get started (deep snow, mud) drop it in low range.
I was taught this from day one by my dad who works on trucks.
Also for those of us with a manual tranny, you can use low range at the boat ramp so when you put the truck in low gear the engine will hold you on the ramp and also use the parking brake. You will getter better holding in low range because of the gear reduction trying to turn the engine over. with a manual you have to shut the truck off on the ramp.
Manual tranny 1. apply parking brake, 2. place truck in 1st gear, 3. shut engine off, 4. let clutch out.
Now to get the truck up the ramp 1. push clutch in, 2. start truck, have it in 1st gear (use low range if you have it), 3. make sure you foot is on the brake, 4. release parking brake 5. let clutch out just intil you hear the engine bog, move foot from brake to gas pedel and take off.
A diesel truck in low range will allow you to simulataously let the clutch and brake off and idle up the ramp, unless you have a really big boat.

Bifflefan

Commander

Set the parking brake before putting the transmission in park.

That is why they call it a "parking brake".

Dont they teach that in drivers ed any more?
Parking brake on, shift to park. shift to rev or drive, release the parking brake.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a GMT360 like you except it's a Rainier. It has all the tow goodies including the 5.3 liter V8, G80 locker and 3.73 rear end plus the auto adjusting suspension. I pull a 4000lb boat/trailer combo with a 6500lb tow capacity. I didn't catch your boat weight. The parking brake is the trick, I have never had an issue and haven't found a ramp steep enough, wet enough or poor enough condition to make the Rainier even flynch. Take a look and check which of the three rear ends you have and if you have the G80 locker. The G80 was not an expensive option nor was the 3.73 or 4.11 rear end but not many have it and the 3.42 was the standard/cheapest version. The sticker on the inside of the glove box has the codes. Depending on how these rigs were built, they can be decent tow vehicles for only a midsize. I know all about the tranny clunk from my last tow vehicle where the parking break was rusted and I started using a chock at the ramp.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is why they call it a "parking brake".

Dont they teach that in drivers ed any more?
Parking brake on, shift to park. shift to rev or drive, release the parking brake.

Here in Missouri, they don't even teach drivers ed in school anymore. Was mandatory when I went to school in the 60's & 70's and IMHO, still should be! Kids can take it in the summer, on their dime.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Same here in Tejas...but it is required, but the parents have to pay for a private driving school. Man, driver's ed...that brings back memories of portable mobile homes equipped with those ratty old driving simulators.
As for the ramp...use wheel chocks and the P brake.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wanted to say thanks again. I got to launch today, and tried for the first time. Parking brake held perfectly on the hill in neutral. When throwing it into R or D after, it was like being on a flat parking lot..... This is something a lot of people need to learn. I watched 2 people abuse their transmissions in the 5 minutes it took me to load up. I tried to tell the one guy, but he thought I was being a smart ***..... so whatever. live n learn.