Is this stereo system any good?

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is this stereo system any good?

I am done with sony for good!!!!!! Every single thing I have ever owned from them broke just after warranty.

Any other good products? I am struggling to find a good stereo system as I know nothing about them.

Well since Ive been researching marine stereos for weeks, I would try and find a Clarion M255 on Ebay. They can be had in the $120 range because they are a discontinued model now. I happened along a mildly used one for $90 shipped.

If you cant find one cheap enough, look into the Boss MR1400W. (the W means white, the S means its silver) The output looks good and the EQ options are better than most out there.

Pyle just didnt seem to have much in the lines of "frills".

Try and find some Pioneer TS-MR1640 6.5 speakers too, they should do the job and can be found for around $60 on Ebay. (Stay clear of the Pioneer TS-MR1600 "dual cones"!!!)

Hope this helps.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is what I ended up getting:

Speakers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPSM600/Alpine-SPS-M600.html?tp=3384&tab=features_and_specs

Deck:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE102/Alpine-CDE-102.html?tp=5684

Enclosure:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390194914092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I ended up getting marine grade speakers instead of car grade. Reason is the back of the boat gets a mist above 30MPH and the speakers will get damp. Friends told me marine speakers never sound as good but oh well. The deck offereings in marine did not offer USB input and other stuff in the price I wanted so being the deck is up front and out of any water, I opted for a car grade. It will never even get a splash where it is located. Lastly my enclosure was completely destroyed, so I had to order a new one, hopefully is will fit. Thanks for all the input, I am glad I did not by the pyle.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Polk db651 speakers actually are marine grade, but you should get good sound out of those Alpine's too. Looks like a good setup, and yes, much better than the Pyle stuff.;)

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Nice Alpine set up, should be sweet.

I would see about snagging a second set of speakers (even 4" would work) for a fuller/fatter sound. If you have room for another set, they would be worth looking into.

I would pull the head unit out when you store the boat for winter too, it would be free peace of mind that it lives a long time.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I would pull the head unit out when you store the boat for winter too, it would be free peace of mind that it lives a long time.

+1 What usually kills them is the atmospheric moisture they're exposed to under covers during extended periods of sitting.

Expidia

Commander

+1 What usually kills them is the atmospheric moisture they're exposed to under covers during extended periods of sitting.

I agree with the moisture thing, I pull all my electronics out at the end of the season, Even though both are Kenwood marine grade.

Takes me about 15 minutes to pull the speakers and the stereo and I store them in the house.

I then take wire mesh and re-cover the speaker holes to keep any critters out. For some reason, I've heard they like to gnaw on plastic coated wires.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well tonight I finally stopped putting it off and started hacking up my boat. I cut the 4" holes to 5-3/8" for my new speakers, and ended up having to cut just a tad off the top lip of the wood to get my enclosure (housing) installed. The speaker holes were hard to enlarge as there were lots of wires, steering cables and shift cables behind them. Cheap crap bayliner used was so rare and non standard. What a joke. I hope people back then did not have to pay extra for that garbage.

All I can say is WOW!!! the difference cannot be described in words. It is crystal clear and the low bass is very pronounced even for marine 6-1/2's.

I ended up finding a small usb mircoSDHC reader that is ever so small I can close the lid of my enclosure. Only problem is it says not for continuos use on the packaging. It is a cheap plastic thing that gets quiet warm when in use for a bit. I hope if it does fail it does not ruin my stereo deck.

Alpine I guess still makes good stuff as I was impressed. Although for 2010, every single stereo should have a small full LCD and still be inexpensive. Still looks like somthing out of the early 90's in my opinion as do all stereos under $700. I did not go for the marine deck, as alpine did not make one, and I am OCD about it having a matching brand name to the speakers. It will not get wet so it should last.