Running new 4.3 for the first time and Mercruiser full synthetic 20w-40

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I am going to run my new Starcraft Islander this week and it has the 4.3 i/o.
I was planning on running it on the muffs for a few minutes before dragging it to the lake.
The manual states to change the oil after 20hrs. And it suggests Mercruiser full synthetic 20w 40.
Two questions.
Will running a new motor on the muffs for a few minutes do any harm?
And Mercruiser full synthetic 20w 40 is $26 a quart. Is it absolutely vital to use Mercruiser oil?
I have never seen a full synthetic in 20w 40, but there are plenty of 20w 50 variants.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Running new 4.3 for the first time and Mercruiser full synthetic 20w-40

Moved to the non repair forum with all the other oil threads.

If you don't want to use what the manufacturer suggests, then here are a few links to other oil threads to help assist you in choosing your oil.

They all come down to the same thing, people posting something like
"I use ___(Fill in the blank)___ and it works great"

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=451752

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=445976

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=436377

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300620

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426361

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=423766

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357663

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=319916

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for this list. I will keep all these types of questions out of the repair forum.

Bondo

Staff member

I am going to run my new Starcraft Islander this week and it has the 4.3 i/o.
I was planning on running it on the muffs for a few minutes before dragging it to the lake.
The manual states to change the oil after 20hrs. And it suggests Mercruiser full synthetic 20w 40.
Two questions.
Will running a new motor on the muffs for a few minutes do any harm?
And Mercruiser full synthetic 20w 40 is $26 a quart. Is it absolutely vital to use Mercruiser oil?
I have never seen a full synthetic in 20w 40, but there are plenty of 20w 50 variants.

Nope,.... won't hurt a thing,....

I run Mobil 1, 15W-50 in mine....

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Gotcha. Keep the rpm low.
And thats good to hear about Mobil one. I use that in my other vehicles.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I drained the oil last night as its time to winterize. I cannot believe that the full synthetic is $26.99 in Canada and under $10 in the U.S.
Any Canadians have a source for this oil at a reasonable rate? My local dealer is telling me to run the regular 25w40 and save my money but he is charging the same price as full synthetic in the U.S.

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I drained the oil last night as its time to winterize. I cannot believe that the full synthetic is $26.99 in Canada and under $10 in the U.S.
Any Canadians have a source for this oil at a reasonable rate? My local dealer is telling me to run the regular 25w40 and save my money but he is charging the same price as full synthetic in the U.S.

The none synthetic equivalent to Mercury 20w40 is SAE30/40 API CF-2,CF/SJ. You can buy this from Nappa for $55 Cad for a 20lt container. This is the spec for Mercury straight weight oil.
As with eveything in Canada we pay to much lol.

Alumarine

Captain

Don't be afraid to run non synthetic.
I and many others have been running dino oil in these engines for many, many years without having ANY oil related issues.

Even paying the dealer price for dino oil it's only $50.00 a year.

More productive thinking about fishing stuff than oil stuff.

Not to start a debate, but I use **** ******* 15W40.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I don't want to make this into an oil debate but is there any difference in the detergents between marine and conventional vehicle oil?
I think Rotella T comes in 15w40 and would be a great oil for the non-synthetic variety.
I'm not cheap and I do not mind spending money. But $26 a quart is robbery.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to make this inot an oil debate but is there any difference in the detergents between marine and conventional vehicle oil?
I think Rotella T comes in 15w40 and would be a great oil for the non-synthetic variety.
I'm not cheap and I do not mind spending money. But $26 a quart is robbery.

As you have seen, EVERYBODY here has an opinion on what oil to use....... based on how they, their uncle, pet mechanic, favorite "Bob Is The Oil Guy" thread said etc...............or "feel" about what oil to use.

Since you DID ask..................... Here's some reading on "Marine" oil formulation from the actual people that did the research and development etc and then transmitted it to the "industry".....

What I got out of it is FC-W was designed for marine engines in the worst of conditions. (the boat sitting in a salt water environment all it's life)

Those of us that keep our boats in a dry garage or storage during NON-use might not need some (or ANY) of the "protections" afforded by FC-W oils.

You can read the following and get far more useful info than asking people on opinion forums that relate largely anecdotal information based on emotion.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/fc-w.aspx

(none of the above was copy/pasted from anywhere except except the link from NMMA!)

ymmv.............

Rick

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Always keep in mind that you have a dinosaur of a motor..the 4.3 goes backs to the 90's and has ran reliabilly since then using oils of the 90's.....Much has improved since then in terms of oil quality ...it would not be a reach to say any syntheic oil today would be a wonder oil in the 90's..Almost anything you put in there today is a leap forward when compared to the oil it was designed for...Now that's a opinion and your milage might vary....

Now as to oil filters that's a whole differnt thing..:D

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Now as to oil filters that's a whole differnt thing..:D

The lab I send my oil to for analysis told me straight out that based on their thousands of samples per year examined that there is NO perceptable difference between brands based on internal wear when changed at recommended OCI's. They echoed the sentiment that filtration quality is more essential to engine life than brand specific lubrication.

Keep it changed regularly and don't get your undies in a wad over brandname or dino/synth.

So the REAL debate should be over filter quality and OCI(Oil Change Interval) than oil itself.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Filters debate? OK, I will start.
I have often heard that Fram filters are poor. However I have used them for years on my Land Cruisers.
On my new truck I use only the Ford filter.

Brewman61

Ensign

I think the Fram quality debate started years ago when someone took several brands of oil filters, opened them, and discovered that some component of the Fram filter appeard to be made out of some type of cardboard like material, when other filters had the same part made out of metal, therefore Fram oil filters are bad. Not sure I buy it- the facts don't add up. Fram must sell millions of oil filters a year for all types of engines, and you'd think if they were bad there would be some pattern of engine failure for Fram oil filters, but they seem to still sell tons of em, so who knows. I used them years ago when I changed my own oil in my cars. No problems. Now I use whatever filters the oil change shop puts in, not even sure what brand. My truck goes to the dealership for oil changes, since they are free for the first few years. After that I'll take the truck to wherever my other vehicle goes. local shops.
I put Merc on my boat, just because I don't really feel like chasing down an aftermarket one.
Opinions on this will be all over the place just like for oil

So..... "I use XXXXXX oil filters, and I've never had a problem"

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Mobil 1 15w50 is on sale at $9 a liter. I think I will also pick up 4 of those as Bond-o suggested.
The 15w is ok with me as the June trips are just above freezing and there is still ice piled up on the shores of Jan lake. Having an oil that flows when cold is also good.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

The lab I send my oil to for analysis told me straight out that based on their thousands of samples per year examined that there is NO perceptable difference between brands based on internal wear when changed at recommended OCI's. They echoed the sentiment that filtration quality is more essential to engine life than brand specific lubrication.

Keep it changed regularly and don't get your undies in a wad over brandname or dino/synth.

So the REAL debate should be over filter quality and OCI(Oil Change Interval) than oil itself.

Ummm.................
mememe-1.gif

a1-1.gif

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Filters debate? OK, I will start.
I have often heard that Fram filters are poor. However I have used them for years on my Land Cruisers.
On my new truck I use only the Ford filter.

I've used the "great pumpkins" made by Fram many years ago with no problems. I now use Wix/Napa Gold or even the Fram Xtra guards in my autos and Tempest in my Cessna. I read all the blasting of Fram...but I suspect very very few people have ever suffered a catastrophic engine failure due soley to the filter itself.