1998 Mercruiser 4.3L Circulating pump / Serpentine Belt Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAS1981

Cadet
Hi Guys, first post here, but searched a fair bit and lurked here also before posting!

My boat threw a belt, stripped one edge off so I got a belt and tried it, the belt is walking forward one groove on the bottom of the crank pulley, this obviously caused it to strip the last belt eventually. I hand spun and checked the alternator, power steering and tensioner pulley, all spin true and smoothly. The waterpump pulley has play side to side, I assume it should be smooth like all the others, it feels like its bearing is dead. It will spin but its obviously not going to be smooth. Also when I initialy popped teh belt on tand run it it made some pretty hideous clanking sounds that seemed to time with the belt jumping forward a groove.

All the brackets appear fine on the ancillaries so I think its just the waterpump. I have ordered a new one from my local Mercruiser agent. Now for the questions...

1) Should I change anything else? (they gave me a power steering puley with belt, its a pain to change, I can't see any reason too? Why did they supply it in the kit?

2) Would a busted pump bearing make a horrible sound and would it cause the belt to jump forward?

3) Any advise on anything else to check (it just had a service)

Anything else?

Thanks for your help in advance guys! Here is a pic. I will be cleaning up the rust on the pulleys before taking her out again.

Tom

A0BCCD36-5447-41EA-8A8D-718B92FF65B3-3039-000000D3B47BF642.jpg

TAS1981

Cadet
Re: 1998 Mercruiser 4.3L Circulating pump / Serpentine Belt Issue

Looks like you have the wrong belt. Mercruiser doesn't go by year, do you have a serial number for your engine? It's the only way to know for sure what you need and how to route it.

Here is from the manual that covers the 98 to 01 4.3 engines.

View attachment 177978 View attachment 177979

Thanks Don, its the right belt. It was off and I was trying to figure out the correct orientation of the belt, this illustrated suggests belt is wrong but I was just the only pic I had, the belt actually loops the waterpump between the alternator and the crank pulley. In fact its the only way the correct belt can fit. That's not an issue.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Don, its the right belt. It was off and I was trying to figure out the correct orientation of the belt, this illustrated suggests belt is wrong but I was just the only pic I had, the belt actually loops the waterpump between the alternator and the crank pulley. In fact its the only way the correct belt can fit. That's not an issue.

I guess you think a serial number is a waste of time. Well below is an image from the 93-97 manual. You don't have a 98 engine.

Untitled1.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat

1) Should I change anything else? (they gave me a power steering pulley with belt, its a pain to change, I can't see any reason too? Why did they supply it in the kit?

As long as the current pulley is in perfect alignment and not rusty (look rusty in the photo) then there shouldn't be a problem leaving it there.

TAS1981 said:
2) Would a busted pump bearing make a horrible sound and would it cause the belt to jump forward?
Absolutely!!

TAS1981 said:
3) Any advise on anything else to check (it just had a service)
If it's just had a service (within the last one month) I would be asking the service company why it wasn't found.

Chris........

achris

I guess you think a serial number is a waste of time. Well below is an image from the 93-97 manual. You don't have a 98 engine.

View attachment 177980

Same picture is in the 1998-2001 manual, page 1B-24, top left.... :D :D

Maybe if we both shout loud enough he'll give us the serial number....:facepalm:

[size=+2]O.P. WHAT IS THE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER?????[/size]

Don S

Try it like this.

A0BCCD36-5447-41EA-8A8D-718B92FF65B3-3039-000000D3B47BF642.jpg

TAS1981

Cadet

Same picture is in the 1998-2001 manual, page 1B-24, top left.... :D :D

Maybe if we both shout loud enough he'll give us the serial number....:facepalm:

[size=+2]O.P. WHAT IS THE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER?????[/size]

Hmmmm, early use fo facepalm, harsh! And on my first post! I'll just crank my Sarcasm Defence Mechanism and Recalibrate my Sense-of-Humour-o-meter and post the serial number....I went to lunch so didn't see replies til now...its the middle of the day here in Sydney. Also generally I would not post my serial number of my car on a public forum so would not immediately do it here with my boat. Im not sure it really matters......not sure what you could do with it, but call it caution.

It might be a 96-97, the boat is apparently a 98, the serial is 0L057XXX. I already know the route of the belt and found a service manual to match, I have run the belt to see it jumping nad half diagnose the water pump. I guess the main question is would or could a busted bearing on the water pump push the belt forward and make it jump (its not grooved but rounded as per pic) or should I also be looking for something else. I assume with the number of these blocks built means someone is going to have seen this exact same thing before but most searches pull up impellor changes not circulator changes.

Thanks for your patience

Fun Times

Staff member

(they gave me a power steering puley with belt, its a pain to change, I can't see any reason too? Why did they supply it in the kit?
The old pulleys were plastic and subject to cracking.;)

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bulletins/018/04//1998/EN_01.PDF

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/00/00_03.pdf

Also posting the full serial number is very helpful with finding the correct parts and info about your engine. Some of the members that posted above that enjoy helping out when possible have been working in the marine industry for a number of years. So the best way for them to be able help out other members like yourself as accurately as possible would be going by the manufacturers way of doing things right and that would be using the full engine serial number.

The serial number would only show basic info of if and when the engine was registered and what type of boat the engine first came in. Only a mercruiser dealer can look this info up on a password protected website for merc dealers. It's not like a carfax that anyone can buy on the internet and see your personnel information. Also this forum is a pretty heavily moderated forum and well respected by the helpful members, so abuse of any displayed private info is not tolerated here and would be deleted if seen fit. So your safe.:)

TAS1981

Cadet

The old pulleys were plastic and subject to cracking.;) etc......

Ah right, that makes sense then. Mines been done already at some point, I will probably just clean mine up as I don't have a pulley puller. It's just a bit of surface rust.

Got it on the serial number, new to boat forums but not forums in general, so this is an invaluable bit of info if you are new to boating or cynical like me! 0L057781. Looking forward to a bit of banter but generally try hard not to irritate people with stupid questions and supply what I think is complete info up front. Like banter and a laugh (inc. at myself), dislike people being arsey towards "noobs" for the sake of it even when they are trying. Anyway its not important.

Evidently it seems the best approach is going to be change it and see if its still a problem. It needs replacing anyway. Was just wondering of there was anything else that was a must know...for example on a car you MUST change the waterpump when doing the cam/drive belt unless you want to do it all again later..... you get the picture. Sounds like there is nothing like that to worry about. Pump should arrive tomorrow, will change it at the weekend and then cross my fingers! I can see lot of WD40 and swearing/cussing happening....

achris

Thank you.

0L057781 = 1998 4.3L Alpha (Mercarb 2bbl carb)...

And that is as much information as I can get...

TAS1981

Cadet

Thank you.

So what I said then! :lol:

Don S

Make sure the tensioner pulley (Top left in your picture) turns completely smooth, and has no movement off the vertical, or that will walk the belt off the pulleys in a hurry.

TAS1981

Cadet

Ok Don, thanks for that, think its ok, it is a plastic pulley in ok nick but bearing spins freely, spacer in place and tightening mechanism appears ok. I will double check it though and clean up the area. They are about $50 so perhaps I should have just ordered one at the same time...I may regret not doing that!

...does anyone order parts from the US by the way? They seem a LOT cheaper than here in Aus? (Shock horror!)

PS had a nasty thought....one would assume that the new pump comes with all gaskets? Hope they arrive as well.....though on past experience..... :(

achris

Thank you.

So what I said then! :lol:

The reason we asked is because we had a case just recently of someone saying they had a 1998 4.3 with a particular problem. We gave all the advice and it didn't fit with what the poster was saying. He then posted a couple of photos of the area of the problem. Turns out the engine was 1993 not 1998, and in the 4.3 world, that makes a huge difference....

I hope you can understand now why we ask for some information that you think is not really necessary.

As for protecting your privacy... :lol: Within the first 10 minutes of you being on-line, some kid in China knew more about you than the tax man!

...does anyone order parts from the US by the way? They seem a LOT cheaper than here in Aus? (Shock horror!)

Yep, I do... Save HEAPS of dough over the ridiculous prices Merc Australia try and charge...

Cheers,

Chris.....

TAS1981

Cadet

The reason we asked is because we had a case just recently of someone saying they had a 1998 4.3 with a particular problem......I hope you can understand now why we ask for some information that you think is not really necessary.

Yep, I do... Save HEAPS of dough over the ridiculous prices Merc Australia try and charge...

Thanks Chris, totally understand, care to share where you get your parts from?? I just forked out $250 for this pump to be delivered today...paid a bit more just to have it arrive at my desk rather than drive all over NSW to pick it up.... I think I could have paid less had i gone somewhere else?

achris

For engine parts that I can source from a GM parts supplier (so not Merc specific parts) I use Buy GM Parts Worldwide * Genuine Replacement * GM Parts Accessories. You might have a problem getting Merc parts outside Australia. Merc USA make all dealers selling Merc parts sign an agreement that they will not sell any Merc parts into a country that has a Merc dealer network, to protect them (everybody is aware of the rip-off going on in other countries).. If you have a friend in the US, then have the Merc parts shipped to them for on-shipping to you. Or use aftermarket parts, GLM, Mallory, Sierra ect. I'm not keen (AT ALL) on using aftermarket (most are made in China, and are very inferior), so I have a very nice person who helps me out when I need....

HTH,

Chris......

TAS1981

Cadet

Just received the pump... jeez they weren't built light were they! Also it is now abundantly clear just how COMPLETELY knackered the old pump bearing is by turning the new one haha! ie utterly, utterly sh@gged. Hopefully this gets it sorted! I'll try taking some video for a laugh / other peoples reference...prob Saturday morning.

PS brucey bonus gaskets intact....result!

TAS1981

Cadet

All done and dusted, runs sweet now so thanks Don and Chris for the help! How do i post a stupid video from stupid iPhone!!!

[video]http://s283.beta.photobucket.com/user/TAS1981/media/53600C7C-71BC-4828-8C8B-344426250B5B-1349-0000005CCF8F2F66.mp4.html[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.