• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

84 Merc 260 shift cable. whats that part and how do I replace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Merc 260 shift cable. whats that part and how do I replace

Underneath the top section of my Alpha outdrive there is a metal tube that connects the shift cable to a threaded pin in the lower housing. I rotated the pin and it switches the unit from forward to reverse. When I push up no the tube one would expect it to connect to the shift cable, in my case if you find the "right" position rotating it .. it will connect otherwise if just spins freely. If I get it in the position where it connects how do I keep it there while installing the lower unit ? If not possible how do I replace the cable ? Can't find the R/R for this anywhere. Do I have to remove the upper half of the
    outdrive ? I went to West Marine and we found the correct shift cable but it doesn't look anything like what I am looking at under this upper-unit. No tube. no washer with cotter pin on the tube.

Thanks
    OTG

Re: 84 Merc 260 shift cable. whats that part and how do I replace

Is this what you are looking at?

Attached Files
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Haven't dug that deep yet. Here are two pictures of the parts. The tube hanging from the upper slides over the pin (gold ring on left of pic). Finally found my camera.

OTG
      Attached Files

Comment

there should be a stainless steel washer that goes on the shaft first, then install the lower
        NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Originally posted by Bt Doctur View Post
          there should be a stainless steel washer that goes on the shaft first, then install the lower
          Did that. Problem is when the "tube" is pushed upwards it does not always attach to the
          shift cable. Have to rotate the metal tube and push upwards before it eventually connects.

Thinking the cable end is messed up.

Thanks
          OTG

Comment

That is your intermediate shift shaft. It does not attach directly to the shift cable, it slides into the coupler on the bottom of the upper shift shaft, which does "attach" to the cable. This is a illustration of the parts :http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...c=BELL+HOUSING 23 is the shaft, 21 is the upper ss. It works this way: When you move your control handle the shift cable moves back and forth (back for F) and moves an arm attached to the upper ss. This rotates the ss (cw for F) and the rotation is transferred to the intermediate ss in the driveshaft housing and on to the lower ss in the gear housing. That movement slides the shift spool back and forth to engage either F N or R. The coupler at the bottom of the upper ss allows the two shafts to slide apart when you remove the entire drive. This is what you need to do: Shift the control handle to forward WOT. Turn the short splined shaft (lower ss) all the way clockwise, make sure the stainless steel washer is in place on top of the lower ss bushing (brass in photo), rotate the prop CCW until it locks and bungee it in place (you are now locked in F). Make sure the quad ring is in place in the oil passage, and slide the gear housing up into the driveshaft housing, making sure the top of the intermediate ss is pointed straight ahead when it slides over the lower ss, so that it matches the coupler on the upper ss. If you have to rotate the prop to get the driveshaft splines to slide in, rotate CCW only. Should fit in there quite nicely. Good luck.
            Terry
            87, 4WINNS H 190
            470/Alpha I

Comment

Originally posted by stonyloam View Post
              making sure the top of the intermediate ss is pointed straight ahead when it slides over the lower ss, so that it matches the coupler on the upper ss. If you have to rotate the prop to get the driveshaft splines to slide in, rotate CCW only. Should fit in there quite nicely. Good luck.
              This is where I messed up. I was thinking the top of the intermediate SS was internally splined like the bottom. This is why it only "connected" at certain rotated positions.
              Have to read it again and look up into the cavity to see what pointed straight ahead means. The parts breakdown shows it as being pretty obvious.
              Thanks so much for the information. Wasn't looking forward to replacing the cable especially when it isn't necessary.

Thanks again
              OTG

Comment

Originally posted by otgdy View Post
                Have to read it again and look up into the cavity to see what pointed straight ahead means.
                Look at Ziggy's photo. That is NOT straight ahead LOL. If it were rotated 1 click to the left it would be.
                Terry
                87, 4WINNS H 190
                470/Alpha I

Comment

Look at Ziggy's photo. That is NOT straight ahead LOL. If it were rotated 1 click to the left it would be.
                  Finally found the parts shown in Don's picture. That's exactly how it looks from a weird angle I might add. That is definitely where I screwed up originally. I set the shift linkage to get the two pieces facing straight forward but could only get it the way Ziggy's picture has it, one click off. There is no more adjustment in the cable for a true
                  straight ahead so I am going to try it this way after getting some replacement gaskets.

There is an adjustment tool that they sell for this shift linkage ? Do I need it ?

Thanks
                  OTG

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
                    Is this what you are looking at?

Well I got the pump rebuilt and now I am setting connecting the upper/lower units. My shift shaft looks exactly like ziggys above (one click off to the right). I disconnected the cable at the engine and it is bottomed out. Translation I can not get the cable to point straight back to match the intermediate shaft. Tried to move the shift the intermediate shaft over one notch on the pin but it will not slide together.

How do I get them to align ?

Thanks
                    OTG

Comment

How do I get them to align ?
                      You need to rotate the intermediate ss all the way clockwise. Turn the prop ccw until it locks. Pull the intermediate ss up off of the splined lower ss, and rotate it clockwise so that it points straight ahead and push it back onto the lower ss. Make sure the control handle is WOT forward and the connection on the bottom of the upper ss is pointing straight ahead. She should go together.
                      Terry
                      87, 4WINNS H 190
                      470/Alpha I

Comment

You need to rotate the intermediate ss all the way clockwise. Turn the prop ccw until it locks. Pull the intermediate ss up off of the splined lower ss, and rotate it clockwise so that it points straight ahead and push it back onto the lower ss. Make sure the control handle is WOT forward and the connection on the bottom of the upper ss is pointing straight ahead. She should go together.
                        I have the lower ss straight ahead and the unit is locked in forward. Have a bungee holding the propeller. the problem is the top "female receiver" is one notch to the right like in the picture and I can not get it to point straight back to match the lower SS.
                        Am I misunderstanding something ?

Thanks
                        OTG

Comment

The control handle is all the way forward?
                          Terry
                          87, 4WINNS H 190
                          470/Alpha I

Comment

The control handle is all the way forward?
                            Yes even disconnected the cables from the engine linkage and moved the adjustments to the stops and I still cant force the recepticle straight forward.

Comment

Yes even disconnected the cables from the engine linkage and moved the adjustments to the stops and I still cant force the recepticle straight forward.
                              Did you push the cable or pull it? You have to push to go into forward.
                              Terry
                              87, 4WINNS H 190
                              470/Alpha I

Comment

Working...
                              X