Evinrude 175 No spark on one side of motor HELP

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice
. hello every one ,
decided to get my mako it has an evinrude ocean pro 175 (1995) ready to run this weekend and take her out. everything has been fine with it , have had it several times no issues at all. yesterday i hooked up the tach and volts as well as water temp gauge . everything was fine put it in the water at marina fueled it up ,. started it and it ran fine . then the engine idle was fluctating up and down. a lil . turned it off and it would not restart . checked all the minor things . i have no power to the coils on one complete bank. resulting in no fire. i bought a new power pack and installed it and same thing no fire . i dont know if this will be of means to help with diagnosis. but i have to undo(cut) the black/yellow kill switch wires at engine for the thing to start. hook them up and it dies. check all the grounds and they are good , any help is greatly appreciated

compression is good and even. unhooked the low fuel pressure sensor and no difference. fuel; is coming out the exhaust , zero fire or power on the left side (if you are looking at it form behind) right side good. it does run but not very well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 175 No spark on one side of motor HELP

I think the shift intruppter is supposed to shut off the startboard bank but just for kicks, unplug it and check spark.

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice

is this the switch that is on the passenger side of the motor near the bottom has a black and a black/yellow wire going to it. it is on the shift cable and is secured in by 2 plastic clips. if so i have tried this with no luck. i did not hook up the wires to the coil pack though ,. i will go try it now ( 30 min drive to marina) i will post here if it worked. thanks very much for the advise it is utmostly appreciated.

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice

ok here is the update . went to marina this evening and just returned home. I unplugged the big red plug on the side of the motor, hooked the black/yellow wires on the motor . jusmped the starter and walla spark to all the cylinders, ran great. so now i am totally ruling out all sensors and electrical on motor. now i plugged the large red plug back in and no start no spark. unplugged it and walla it started again. while running i plugged the red plug back in and it shut off. after messing with the wires in the console by the key switch . i was able to unscrew the ignition swith and kill switch and pull them out to get a better view. again i cut the black/yellow at the kill switch and it started right up and ran great spark in every cylinder again. the deal i am having now is the damn thing will not shut off with the key. i have to touch the black/yellow to get it to stop the engine. it will not shut off at all by the key . other than that it seems fine. i am trying to go out in the boat in the morning and am running back and forth all night to get it running and shutting off. it is ginna be 78* here and is glassy flat (finally) . any help will be greatly appreciated . thanks in advance

jonesg

Admiral

ok here is the update . went to marina this evening and just returned home. I unplugged the big red plug on the side of the motor, hooked the black/yellow wires on the motor . jusmped the starter and walla spark to all the cylinders, ran great. so now i am totally ruling out all sensors and electrical on motor. now i plugged the large red plug back in and no start no spark. unplugged it and walla it started again. while running i plugged the red plug back in and it shut off. after messing with the wires in the console by the key switch . i was able to unscrew the ignition swith and kill switch and pull them out to get a better view. again i cut the black/yellow at the kill switch and it started right up and ran great spark in every cylinder again. the deal i am having now is the damn thing will not shut off with the key. i have to touch the black/yellow to get it to stop the engine. it will not shut off at all by the key . other than that it seems fine. i am trying to go out in the boat in the morning and am running back and forth all night to get it running and shutting off. it is ginna be 78* here and is glassy flat (finally) . any help will be greatly appreciated . thanks in advance

I fixed a similar problem, tracked it down to a loose ig switch, it was able to twist inside the bezel mount and short some wires on the back.
Good that you tracked it down before starting to fry elec components in the ignition system. If voltage can get to the black/yellow wire it can zap the regulator real quick.

Ignition switches are cheap.

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice

took boat out today . it ran great installed a toggle in place of the lanyard, still will not turn off by key so i just hit the toggle to kill it. worked ok. but seems to run on sometimes. i am planning on buying and installing a new ignition switch tomorrow. does anyone know of a website that has the wire diagrams i would like to rewire everything. it is just a mess under there. thanks for all the help.