OMC 5.0L EFI Idle surge problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdblya

Cadet
Re: OMC 5.0L EFI Idle surge problem

That is a really good price. the only thing that would worry me is if it for marine use. It might be worth looking in to.

They are same fuel pump. Says carter right on it, high pressure marine, made in the usa. If you take the harness adapter off the original part you will see the carter logo right on there.

shdw2001h

Seaman

They are same fuel pump. Says carter right on it, high pressure marine, made in the usa. If you take the harness adapter off the original part you will see the carter logo right on there.

I will have to belive you on that. My pumps have both been changed out once already so I have aftermarket pumps no my boat. But next time I replace them, I will look into autozone. thanks for the tip.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I did the same with my Carter mechanical pump.

Both Autozone and Schucks autoparts listed the pump in their respective catalogs, (Airtex and Master) and both indicated that they were MARINE type pumps. Airtex is the manufacturer. ( I was skeptical and called Airtex and found out that Airtex makes: Carter, Master, Mercruiser, Volvo, GMC, Ford etc pumps as the OEM manufacturer)

The pump for my 454 Bravo that Mercruiser sold for $180 was $55 at Autozone. ;)

Cheers,

Rick

offello

Recruit

I just ut a low presure and high presure pumps on my 95 5.0l omc due to surg problems and now the high pressure pump makes and ittermittant high squilin noise. It doest get hot and the surge is gone but i can only get 4,00 rpm out of it? Any feed back would be awesome.

jdblya

Cadet

try running a clear tube in place of the regular black hose from the fuel tank to the fuel filter/low pressure fuel pump and watch what happens. If it starts sucking air through that hose, you will see it, and pumps usually start to make noise when they get air in them or don't have enough fluid running through them. The high pressure pump could be being starved for fuel.

hcove7

Cadet

Hi,

I have a problem similar to the one described in this thread. I have a 2000 SeaRay with a 5.0 EFI Alpha One. I will start my engine (cold) and run the boat for about 10 minutes. If I then stop the engine, wait approximately 30 minutes, it will surge when I attempt to start the engine again. Usually I can't start it again until I wait for about an hour.

If I run the engine 10 minimutes, cut if off, then cut it back on within 10 minutes or so, it will start w/o a problem. It seems like the 30 minute rest triggers the problem.

Do you think the low pressure fuel pump is worth a try?

Herb

hcove7

Cadet

Hi,

I have a problem similar to the one described in this thread. I have a 2000 SeaRay with a 5.0 EFI Alpha One. I will start my engine (cold) and run the boat for about 10 minutes. If I then stop the engine, wait approximately 30 minutes, it will surge when I attempt to start the engine again. Usually I can't start it again until I wait for about an hour.

If I run the engine 10 minimutes, cut if off, then cut it back on within 10 minutes or so, it will start w/o a problem. It seems like the 30 minute rest triggers the problem.

Do you think the low pressure fuel pump is worth a try?

Herb

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats Herb, You really need to start a new thread of your own and not just tack your Mercruiser question on the end of a year old OMC post and expect and get any quality answers. Very few will even notice your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.