Ballistics charts

gaugeguy

Captain
Does anyone have a link to a chart where I can compare the .270, .308 and 30.06 cartridges with a 150gr. projectile?

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Ballistics charts

Thanks Barlow, that helps also.<br />This is why I am looking for the info. I am buying myself a xmas present and I have the choice of those 3 calibers for this...<br /><br />
package.jpg

one more cast

Captain

GG, personally in the TC I would go with the .308 but thats me. I also believe that the ammo ballistics will vary greatly from the chart when fired from the shorter barrel contender.

gaugeguy

Captain

Actually OMC it is the Encore. I've heard that you lose like 20 ft/sec per inch from 24". So that would be 180' for the 15" barrel. Do you know what the muzzle energy does? My buddy just got the .308, we plan on popping it off this weekend. I already have .308 and 30.06 rifles, so I am leaning towards the .270. The great thing about the Encore (and Contender) is the interchangeable barrels. I will be getting the .50 cal muzzleloader barrel and probably the .410/45 barrel before summer gets here.

one more cast

Captain

I don't know how much the numbers vary from the charts. I just know they vary. Nice gun by the way.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Get or borrow a reloading manuel. Hornady or Sierra ones are among the best. The Lyman books are real good too-- especially thier 'Cast Bullet Reloading' manuel,,, and it has lots of jacketed bullet loading info. as well as a TC section in there too. From the questions your asking, most answers are in there plus alot of other info you'd probably find interesting at this stage of the game.<br /><br />I got a couple when I got into relaoding, and ended up reading them cover to cover a few times. Twenty years later and after reloading upwards of 50,000 rounds, I still go back to them for reference material.<br /><br />For that weapon,,, the .308 would be my choice of cal. If you get into reloading, there is sections in the books just for those single shot pistols. And the .308 would probably be the most versatile. The .30 cal. has the best selection of available projectiles, and the .308 could be made about 99% equal the .30-06 performance wise with that short barrel.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like Ed said, go with the Lyman manuel. Lyman unlike the others don't make nothing but reloading equipment. No bullets, powder, primers or the like. So there manuel will test about everything, also most of there data is collected from actualy firing. Not computer generated, or test barrel's.<br />I haven't reloaded for any contenders for some time but I belive Lyman has a section on TC reloading.<br />I used to shoot a old 1st generation frame with a 30 Herriet barrel, still have it just don't fire it. You can make some screamers for TC stuff but faster ain't allways better, watch for preasure signs and have fun.<br />I would do the 308 or 30-06 just me I'am a 30 cal fan.<br />Ray

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

GG, In the 30-06 out of my encore pistol It preforms dismally beyond 140yds ( always wondered if other barrels preformed better). This is no way detracts from my love of my Encore system. Favorite Gun I have ever owned and I have 8 or nine barrels for it.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

With that 10" or so barrel & a rifle cartridge,,,<br /><br />you will really need to get into reloading for it.<br /><br />All the factory ammo is made for the powder to develope its best power curve & bullet acceleration from at least 20 inches of barrel.<br /><br />with the .308, as opposed to the .30-06 in that short of a barrel, you have the case capasity to reload a shell that can out perform a .30-06 since you get a extra fraction of a inch of barrel length.<br /><br />///////////<br /><br />If it was me:<br /><br />I'd get the pistol in .308, a Lyman reloading book & some reloading gear.<br /><br />The .308 is shorter, which gives you more barrel length than a .30-06 would for the projectile to go through, and more distance & time for the powder to develope all its (potential)pressure needed it to push that 'slug' down the tube as fast as it can.<br /><br />More barrel lenght ='s more velocity (to a point).<br /><br />With a 10" barrel, & the new modern powders, you can get where ya want to go with less powder space than even a .308 has,,,, much less than the .30-06 has.<br /><br />Get the .308. & reload. Getting to use more rifled lands & groves with a .308 will more than make up for the extra powder capacity you gave up from the .30-06 in that short barrel.

gaugeguy

Captain

We shot up a couple boxes of .308 yesterday, what a fun gun to shoot. Pretty good recoil and what a raport!!! I can see where reloading could save some coin, dropped $28 for the bullets and still wanted to shoot more.<br /><br />I will rarely be taking a shot with it from over 100 yds. Most hunting shots around here are 75yds and closer. I think I am also starting to lean towards the .308, still have about 2 wks to make my decision.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> I can see where reloading could save some coin,
Oh no,,,, that's a myth.<br /><br />You'll probably spend as much or more reloading than you do just buying factory ammo.<br /><br />But, you'll also have much better ammo since its tailored for that particular weapon, and for what ya spend--- you'll be shooting a lot more rounds.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

GG - you'll be happy as a lark with the Encore pistol. My brother has one in 45/.410 and I will say its a hoot to shoot! I've plugged a few boxes of slugs through it and a handfull of birdshot and was impressed with it!<br /><br />I'll step-out on a limb and say you'll be happy with it with whichever cartridge...good choice! <br /><br />..just my opinion here -we all know what thats worth- I wouldn't think of reloading if you don't percieve yourself as becoming a 'junkie' otherwise buy factory ammo.<br /><br />have fun with it!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Barlow:<br />I wouldn't think of reloading if you don't percieve yourself as becoming a 'junkie'
That's how I got addicted. Back in '83-84 I got a single stage press to load the 3-4 boxes of .270 I shot a year. I figured it'd be cheaper in the long run, and I could make a better round than factory ammo was at the time. <br /><br />Within 10 years, I had a progressive press too, along with a lead furnace. By then I was loading rifle ammo in incrememnts of 1,000 to last 2-3 years for one particular rifle or another. And casting bullets by the hundreds of pounds in a batch for different cal. pistols I reloaded for.

gaugeguy

Captain

Well after beating my head against the wall for a few days, I have decided to go with the .308. <br /><br />Do any of you guys that shoot Encore or Contender pistols use muzzle brakes on your bigger rifle barrels? Shooting this puppy with one hand seems to be out of the question right now, unless I pump iron from now til september. <br /><br />Barlow, what kind of range do you get with the birdshot with the .410/45? Will it drop a partridge at 20 yards?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hi GG I just got back from a 2 week hiatus and just spent 3 1/2 hours driving back from Boston...at least 89 was clear to WRJ. I hunt with my T Contender all the time.<br /><br />I have the 45/410 (12") and yes 20 yards will dust a partridge. Recoil is very manageable with that barrel. The 45 long colt can be loaded up to rival a 44 mag... and yes I have dropped deer with that barrel (open sights at 75 yards)<br /><br />I also have a .223 (12")with the muzzle brake and it is the MOST fun to shoot and very cheap to shoot too. But..... that muzzle brake makes it sound even louder with absolutely NO RECOIL yup none nada zip zero!<br /><br />I guess I should seek a Shrink for the barrel I hunt with .... 45-70 (16") loaded with 300 gr hollow points... it's a 150 yard sledge hammer! It also has a muzzle brake and yes it tames the recoil just a bit....big recoil and very loud.<br /><br />If you hit the gun shows coming up in Jan-Mar there is a guy from NH named Richard Drake who sets up (I see him yearly in Barre VT) and he specializes in T/C / Encore barrels at good prices.<br /><br />And just to round out the TC I purchased a Gonic Arms 45 cal black powder barrel (only 16" long) which shoots and hits just like my 45-70.<br /><br />Almost forgot. I would go with a .308 because it can be loaded with 100 grain bullets up to 200 grain bullets. If you get into the reloading side you will be able to load a light more comfortable bullet. There are allot of books dedicated to the TC and if you call them at Customer Service they might have some ideas for you. MidwayUSA is a good source for supplies and there is a great Gun Shop outside of Hookset with great prices on supplies Rileys. <br /><br />Happy Holidays!<br /><br />Bob

gaugeguy

Captain

Thanks Bob. I live right off of 89, and I avoid it like the plague. Seems like when the first snowflake hit's it, people totally forget how to drive.<br /><br />One of the engineers here at work, Rocky, does the gun show thing as well and he gave me Richard Drake's name as well. I also frequent Riley's pretty often also.<br /><br />I have heard that on the .308 the brake won't reduce felt recoil much, but it will make it much louder. That 45-70 has got to be a brute ;) <br /><br />Thanks again...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

GG- 20yrds would be as far as I would pop at a Partridge with any confidence..would like to know who gets shots or good looks at Partridge any further out ;) they're a light skinned bird which only needs "The Golden Pellet" but, the pattern is going to be ****-pour any farther out and as we know.. so are your chances of getting a shot :D