Installed a pre-hung door last night...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
what a pain in the *ss. This is part of my basement finishing project. I must be doing something wrong because it took me over two hours to frame it, plumb it, level it, shim it and nail squarely in place. All I had to do was two studs on each side and one across the top for a header (basement has only 7' headroom). <br /><br />I was using a 30" aluminum level. After it was installed, it would open and close perfect, no unwanted drift or swing to the door. It stays at whatever position it's opened to. But darn that took way too long to install.<br /><br />They are simple interior stamped raised panel hollow core doors. Not fancy, not heavy, pre-hung with all strapping and door knob/striker "plug" holding the door and jamb square. I remove the strapping so the jamb isn't compressed against the door, but leave the knob/striker plug in so it doesn't swing open and is being held square in jamb. I use the pre-cut shims.<br /><br />It seems that when the door is just tacked in place with finish nails through the shims, everything is square, then drive the hails home and everything is out of square, or the gap between door and jamb changes.<br /><br />I have another to do tonight. <br /><br />Any suggestions on how to do this correctly and quickly?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Installed a pre-hung door last night...

Make sure you can't compress your shims. That's the only reason it would go out of square when the larger nails are driven in.

dolluper

Captain

Only put shims about 4" from top and 4" from bottom sides 2" on top each side just tacked nailed then swing door measure your gap between door and door frame and 1/16 " then add shims and hammer away if you really drive them hard a 1/4 " will be needed ,this is after it is square o c-------said all above I type very slow

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Mark,<br /><br />I am a veteran of many a pre-hung and unhung door. My first time it took me like 3 hours to do one. The next one was like one hour, now I average 45 minutes.<br /><br />non-hung doors take me like 1.5 hours because of the chiselling and router work<br /><br />I bet you will find it much easier tonight, and it sounds like you did everythting right<br /><br />One trick I do is to use 3" deck screws through the fram and shims. You get much less motion with a screw than a nail

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

3" deck screws in a hollowcoredoor? What you been smokin? That would put some big holes in the jamb...the right way to do it is 6-8p finish, or better yet a nailgun of the right size. If you have a heavy door, you can use 2-3" screws in the hinges, but normally not necessary. Keepondoinwhat youbeendoin. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hi Eggkr8,<br /><br />I hope you're right. I keep a nice set of razor sharp chisles just for doors. Even the pre-routered doors usually need some work. I had to cut the door deeper to fit the latch. <br /><br />Chief, these doors will have key entry locksets, one enters storage area, the other enters the shop area. I want to be able to lock the kids out of these rooms when they have their friends over haning out in the basement. I know the doors are just hollow core, but I ran one 3" deck screw through each hinge to the stud just for piece of mind. Did the same with the striker plate. If someone wants in, they can just kick it. But this will resist the kids twisting and pushing on the door knob. I hope.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do it the way I do Mark.......call the son-in-law! :D

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I make sure the jamb on the hinge side is dead plumb and nailed, pop the door onto the hinges on the jamb and then fit the rest of the jambs to the framing by making sure all gaps around the door are even and fine tune by using opposed wedges.<br />After the first one you get quicker and quicker.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I hang em all the time, must have over a thousand under my belt. Keep the door on the hinge, make sure your floor is level, if it is your golden. If not place a shim on the floor to even it up. Once your good to go place the door pretty well centered in the rough opening and then shim the top of the hinge side first, Check it for plumb by swinging the door almost shut and put your level on the edge of the door, shim and nail it in the center, then the same on the bottom. Shut the door then shim and nail the strike side, the same way, keeping the same margin all the way down between the door and jamb. <br /><br />If you use regular ceder shims, that will help a lot. If you find you need to adjust your jamb, drive a shim in below where you nailed, it'll stay. I like to keep my shims sticking out on both side also in case I have to slide one out to make more room. When the time comes to trim the shims flush with the jamb avoid striking it with hammer and chisel, that'll screw ya up. Take your time and trim them with a sharp utlity knife.<br /><br />Have fun!

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mark<br /><br />How did last nights door go?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Ethan

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Eggkr8,<br /><br />Got home late last night and baby was sleeping so hammering is not allowed by the Mrs. I just did some cleanup. I should get to it tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes.<br /><br />Mark.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br />[QB] 3" deck screws in a hollowcoredoor? What you been smokin? ]
Actually we carry up to 5" screws and use them when neccasary it's nice to have the jam installed correctly and sturdy so we don't have to come back and do it again. Finish nails just don't cut it on a majority of different jobs.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for all your suggestions. I did it in about 45 minutes. That's it for doors. All the other work is walls, electric, and ceiling tiles and carpet or vinyl on the floor.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Good job Mark.<br />ggoody..."you're fired". :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I hang a pre-hung this way. I make sure that my hinge side of the jamb is plumb then put a couple of nails in the casing on that side. Then I move the striker side up or down until the gap between door and jamb is even. Then I nail that side through the casing with a couple of nails. Then I insert shims in about 3 places on the striker side and nail through the pre-hung jamb into the rough jamb through the shims. Takes about 10 or 15 minutes to hang the door.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

ae708..."you're hired" :D