Eaton m45 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Bolting a roots blower on my boat. After extensive searching I haven't seen anyone do it on a 3.0. Curious to see how it goes after all. I'll be posting updates during my build in hopes for some help when and if I hit a snag. Please don't clog up my thread with useless rants.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 10

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up an assortment of serpentine pulleys off a friend today. Plan is to use one belt for all the accessories and charger. Swapping out the v-belt will free up some space. How you ask?? Stay tuned.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Getting closer. Pulleys are just about complete. Most of them came off a dodge pickup with a 7rib belt.

Attachments

• photo244697.jpg
    photo244697.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 11

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Pretty Cool,.....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Nice to see this, always loved the 3.0 I had but needed more power.. Are you going to blow through the carb or mount it on the suction side of the blower? What is the blower off of?m

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Charge plenum assembled. Not ideal but this will give me a baseline.

Attachments

• photo244755.jpg
    photo244755.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 9

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Charger is a eaton m-45. Brand new about 8 years ago. Just never got around to finishing the original project that it was purchased for.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where is the carb going to be mounted? As Scott asked - A suction or pressure carb?

And how solid is the blower mount with the plate and carbs studs? Added support from the blower to the block?

Yeah - Just lots of curiosity questions.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Just made up this intake for carb to blower. Draw through carb. & I'm going to brace the blower bracket to the block for sure. Red stuff dripping from intake is red kote fuel tank liner. Seals up any pin holes.

Attachments

• photo244768.jpg
    photo244768.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
I'm planning on using the stock carb. If all goes right the factory jetting should not be to far off.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Finishing up the details. Hope to fire it tonight.

Attachments

• photo244800.jpg
    photo244800.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 6

NHGuy

Captain
Richen that fuel and retard your timing. Maybe even use a thick head gasket. Gotta fight detonation. Cool idea, boosted mini motor.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Was all ready to fire it up and the starter gave way. It had been making a racket for a few years now.... Another day. Fingers crossed the local marina has one in stock.

Attachments

• photo244826.jpg
    photo244826.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 4

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Test day #2 went okay. I drilled my main jets out a little and the engine responded well. I also stepped my charger pulley size down. Now running 10 psi the boat flies to 40mph where its wayyyy over reving the whole unit. My plan is to step up my prop size and go with a stainless at the same time. There was some cavitation out of the hole for sure with the aluminum 17p that's on there.
However it did manage to spit the head gasket out on the intake side. I had adjusted the timing to far advanced and opened the throttle with a bang. I did manage to drive it back to shore chugging along. Engine temp didn't climb at all so I think it will be an easy fix... maybe 7-8 psi will be a better final setting lol. I also lost my phone and video of this thing going.
What a difference, I have no doubts it will hang with my friends v6 once I fine tune things. With 10 or so holeshots and maybe 1 hour of total run time on high boost it only had sign of failure just after I literally moved the distributer trying to gain. I heard it ping but I just wasn't fast enough to backoff the throttle. A boost retard timing box might help it fire up as with the timing retarted I noticed that it had a hard time idling while engine was not fully warmed up...
also thinking while the heads off I'm going to do valve seals. Boats been smokey on startup after siting for years now.

stack 2 head gaskets?
arp head studs available?
boost retard timing box.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hope you replace the taped up hose while you're at it. :wink:

Maybe all of them.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Threw in a new gasket today. old one had spit out on the intake side cylinders 1&4. Tossed in a new one. Cranked the bolts down to 90 ft lbs. Does weep Water just a tiny bit on the front and spark plug side..... Runs great. still some pinging under heavy cornering & load. Backed timing off the point where I had to turn the idle up to 1,000rpm just to keep it running. No more ping but with a noticeable power loss.
Going to try drilling out my mains just a touch more. Man does this thing pull the boat now. Mild cavitation out of the hole to 15mph where she grips and pulls hard to 35 or so. Over rev's to 40 pretty easily 17p aluminum. lined up with a 17ft penta 140hp running a new 19p. If boats had doors they would have blown off let my tell ya! blew his doors off for sure. this was with timing in high hp pinging mode. about 22degrees or so.
This is all old fuel from last year also. I think I'm going to step my pulley size up just a little to be around 8psi. Eliminate a bit of the belt squeal.. It goes a little to good if ya know what I mean lol.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
You could try water injection to keep the pressure up but pinging down. It is an old high pressure trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.