Leaking Primer Solenoid - Johnson J115TLCIM

Hi,

I'm having trouble starting a Johnson 115hp (J115TLCIM). It turns over fine, but isn't firing at all - I've changed the spark-plugs, as the old ones were fairly oil-covered and black, and am using two new (88Ah / 380CCA) batteries in parallel, have new fuel in the tank, have cleaned the first fuel-filter, but not inspected the round, gauze filter apparently fitted at the fuel-pump, as my pump doesn't look like the one in the manual I've got and would require more disassembly to inspect than I'm happy to do straight away. I've turned the engine over with one plug out and it's giving what looks like a reasonable spark to me.

The fuel system pressurises OK using the hand-bulb at the fuel-tank, but when I turn the engine over on the starter, if I push in the key to activate the primer solenoid, fuel squirts out around the solenoid manual/run lever, about twenty cm or so into the air! From this, I'm guessing that the fuel-pump is making good pressure(!), but a seal or something has failed in the primer solenoid.

To my eye, it looks like there's some sort of air-lock at the first fuel-filter, as the semi-opaque plastic housing doesn't fill with fuel to the top, even when the tank hand-bulb becomes firm, but I guess fuel's obviously getting to the pump and beyond, just not into the cylinders.

As this is such an old engine (1981), none of my local chandlers/boat yards are interested in offering any advice - any help you can offer me here, then, will be very much appreciated...

Thanks very much,

Paul

Re: Leaking Primer Solenoid - Johnson J115TLCIM

For anybody thinking "I wonder how he's doing with that outboard?"...

I read a posting somewhere that suggested holding in the primer switch (i.e. holding the key in) for eight seconds before trying to start it - so, I repressurised the fuel with the hand-bulb at the tank, held in the primer for 8 seconds and, what do you know, it exploded into life. The longest I've managed to get the motor to run for so far is about ten seconds, so I think I have a fuel problem somewhere, as I have to keep going back and pumping the fuel through with the hand-bulb...but at least it starts and runs (kind of...)

The biggest outboard I've used before is a Mariner 5hp, so let me just say that a 115hp on flushing-muffs starting up six feet away is quite a lot louder and quite a lot more exciting...certainly, everything (cats, dogs, people, cows etc) within about a hundred feet thought so...

Paul

Greg Boswell

Seaman Apprentice

Greetings all,
I have been lurking around trying to locate a past thread on my issue with no success.
This one is as close as I can find, but my engine, a 1976 115 Johnson just began running slower for no apparent reason.
Just had the carbs rebuilt and new fuel lines put on, then while running it, it just started losing power and running slower than usual.
Curioulsy, I reached down and pushed in the key/choke and the motor woke back up.
I also found I must blip the choke while idling along or the engine will die, but starts right up, and if I want to get up on plane fast, gotta push it in and hold it.
I have rebuilt my pump, but not this solenoid. Took it back to the shop and the mechanic said rebuild the fuel pump which I had already done, but did not cure it.

Hopefully, this gets me on the right track for returning full power to the engine. I don't see any leaks on mine, but something is or has to be causing a lack of fuel flow at both low and power speeds?
I even took my carbs apart myself and checked to see if something was clogging a jet, but every little orfice in those carbs passed carb cleaner easily. If anyone has some suggesstion it would be appreciated. I thank you for posting those links to part numbers and taking time to answer the previous posts.
Regards,
Greg

DaveNBass

Recruit

Paul,
Yes, how are you coming along?

I ask because I have taken mine apart for a cleaning early summer.
It actually stopped working... for awhile.
Long story short, I had the carbs adjusted and my buddy informed me I needed to swing the arm towards the manual start position after the primer bulb is pumped and pump the bulb another time.
I leave it in this position close to a minute and then return it to the auto position.
The idle is then turned down to around 2000rpm's so the motor can warm up. Very cold blooded engines!

Did you get the leak stopped?
If there is a chance for your fuel lines to lose fuel pressure, it will act like you explained below.

I am contemplating buying a new primer or rebuild it, maybe next season! Have you done either one of those ideas?

Dave

For anybody thinking "I wonder how he's doing with that outboard?"...

I read a posting somewhere that suggested holding in the primer switch (i.e. holding the key in) for eight seconds before trying to start it - so, I repressurised the fuel with the hand-bulb at the tank, held in the primer for 8 seconds and, what do you know, it exploded into life. The longest I've managed to get the motor to run for so far is about ten seconds, so I think I have a fuel problem somewhere, as I have to keep going back and pumping the fuel through with the hand-bulb...but at least it starts and runs (kind of...)

The biggest outboard I've used before is a Mariner 5hp, so let me just say that a 115hp on flushing-muffs starting up six feet away is quite a lot louder and quite a lot more exciting...certainly, everything (cats, dogs, people, cows etc) within about a hundred feet thought so...

Paul

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Now that you've gotten the engine to fire, the next step is to keep it running. In case you have a weak fuel pump, try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the bowls of the carbs. If it keeps running as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb, you have a fuel delivery problem-could even be a weak fuel pump.