Looking at a boat with a 1990 120 Evinrude VRO2 with PT/T

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not familiar with outboards at all. Is this motor any good, and is there anything I should check or watch for?

He said he replaced the VRO pump to a VRO2 pump.....not sure what this means.

Thanks

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking at a boat with a 1990 120 Evinrude VRO2 with PT/T

how much doe she want for it?
I would chech the lower unit drain magnet for metal chips on it, which might mean that the lower unit gears are ground up. That is on on lower drain plug on the lower unit.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Those were good motors.
Most people bypass the VRO system and use premix gas.

Compression test on the motor before you buy it!;)

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2600 for the boat, it is a 1985 19' Bayliner cuddy cabin.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those were good motors.

Compression test on the motor before you buy it!;)

He took it in and all cylinders were 140 besides # 4 which was 135.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not familiar with outboards at all. Is this motor any good, and is there anything I should check or watch for?

He said he replaced the VRO pump to a VRO2 pump.....not sure what this means.

Thanks

There is a difference between the three similar OMC/BRP oil mixing fuel pumps: VRO, VRO2 and OMS (oil metering system). They all work very similarly, but the OMS is the latest version. They vary in the alarms they have or don't have and the actual ratios of oil-gasoline at various rpms. Everything I've read says both the VRO2 and OMS systems worked very well, but the original VRO not only would be very old, but doesn't have a full complement of alarm systems.

If that engine is a 1990, it originally came with a VRO2 pump, so when he said "he replaced the VRO pump to a VRO2 pump", it doesn't really make sense. Better to know how old the "new" pump is and how well it works - including the alarms. I'm not sure of the dates, but I think any pump purchased in the last 10 years or so would be an OMS.

You can find more info on this at: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Those were good motors.

"most"? really? Not in my experience. "Some" yes - and no problem with that. But my experience is that "most" leave the system intact and have troublefree use with normal system maintenance.

I hate for newbys to get the wrong impression about these systems - see above link.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a difference between the three similar OMC/BRP oil mixing fuel pumps: VRO, VRO2 and OMS (oil metering system). They all work very similarly, but the OMS is the latest version. They vary in the alarms they have or don't have and the actual ratios of oil-gasoline at various rpms. Everything I've read says both the VRO2 and OMS systems worked very well, but the original VRO not only would be very old, but doesn't have a full complement of alarm systems.

If that engine is a 1990, it originally came with a VRO2 pump, so when he said "he replaced the VRO pump to a VRO2 pump", it doesn't really make sense. Better to know how old the "new" pump is and how well it works - including the alarms. I'm not sure of the dates, but I think any pump purchased in the last 10 years or so would be an OMS.

You can find more info on this at: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

"most"? really? Not in my experience. "Some" yes - and no problem with that. But my experience is that "most" leave the system intact and have troublefree use with normal system maintenance.

I hate for newbys to get the wrong impression about these systems - see above link.

Good read, thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bayliners of the vintage don't have the best Reputation, but 99% of that reputation was bad owners. lack of proper maintenance.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bayliners of the vintage don't have the best Reputation, but 99% of that reputation was bad owners. lack of proper maintenance.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

I'm pretty familiar with boats, just wasnt sure on the engine. I still have my Cruisers Yacht in my sig. I just need something to get me on the water NOW. The project is taking a bit longer than planned and it has been a year since I have been on the water and it is driving me NUTS!! :)

tashasdaddy

the 120 johnson has a good rep.

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He has offered to take me for a spin, which I will gladly accept. He has a receipt from the shop he took it to which shows 140 in all but one of the cylinders, the other has 135....totally acceptable. It will be weird going from inboards to outboards.

btw...that is a beautiful Husky you have, I have a Malamute myself.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Tasha is one fantastic dog, she had been abused when i rescued her. now the sweetest animal, except if you are a stranger, and get around her boats. she loves the boats, and always upset if she does not get to go.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

ALSO, make sure there is no black oil running down the outsude of the motor from the upper exuast plate, that is unburned fuel, which would mean that the fuel is not burning up 100% and there is water getting into the cylinders. (A busted head gasket) I had to change the head gasket on mine. But this is much easier on outboards, because you have easy access to it.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wanted to say thanks again and update my situation. I went ahead and bought a 1992 19' Bayliner Cuddy with the Alpha 1 and 3.0 Merc. My last 17' boat had the same drive package, minus the electronic ignition...so I'm pretty familiar with the setup.

Thanks again,
Chris