85hp switchbox/powerpack

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
I finally broke down and took my 76 Merc 85HP to the shop. All of the details of what I have done so far is under 'general fuel question'.<br /><br />He tells me that I need a new switchbox because mine is only firing on two cylinders.<br /><br />Any idea where the cheapest place to look for these is? Also, how hard are they to install?

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85hp switchbox/powerpack

j--x; try rarair.com for parts, if you can follow color code for wireing no problemo ..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If that motor has a single coil and a distributor, then I think the shop is giving bad information. If you have the four coil ignition, then it is possible that either the switchbox or the stator/trigger are bad. If you switch the trigger wires and the same two cylinders fire, then the triggers are good, and the switchbox is bad. If the other cylinders fire, then the triggers are bad, and the switchbox is good.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

They said that the switchbox is causing it to only fire on 2 cylinders and that the stator checks out ok but that about 15%-20% of the time a bad stator is what knocks the switchbox out once it runs for a while so that it is possible that the stator may have to be replaced as well once it is running good and it can be tested again.<br /><br />They seem somewhat honest (what little I know about outboards). But they want 262.00 for the switchbox. I only paid 700.00 for the boat and motor. I guess now I know why!<br /><br />Any good websites besides ebay for used parts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those switchboxes are available at discount marine stores as well as many places on the web. Go to www.dougrussell.com, look up the merc part number and do a google search to find some obscure web sources.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

Thanks for your help everybody.<br /><br />They replaced the switchbox and found that the guy I bought it from had used some bathroom caulk to hold together something in the trigger that had come apart. So they replaced it as well.<br /><br />He said that the arcing around the caulk could have easily caused the switchbox failure.<br /><br />They say it runs good. I hope to pick it up this weekend and try it out. We'll see!<br /><br />Thanks again for your help.