This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 16' Starcraft Jupiter V Restore

She is a 1970 Starcraft Jupiter V that I picked up for $400.

Pullin' her home:

Time to assess the damage:

nice job here on the bilge pump hose:

The PO used clear silicone EVERYWHERE:

This is how the 2nd layer of plywood was held down:
    Last edited by ezmobee; April 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM.
    1970 Starcraft Jupiter closed bow to open bow modification
    1970 Starcraft Jupiter V 16' restore
    Starcraft pic thread

It's not "Just an old Starcraft". It's a vintage piece of American Marine History

Re: Starcraft project: STOLEN

I could push down with my hand and seperate the fibers:

The seats are newer and in good shape except for this one little spot:

This afternoon im going to get the seats out and the carpet up and start on the deck.
    Starcraft pic thread

It's not "Just an old Starcraft". It's a vintage piece of American Marine History

Comment

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN"

UPDATE:

Got the floor out yesterday (and some torn up hands to boot).

Seats out, moldy and mossy carpet:

Carpet out:

you can see here where 1 sheet is newer than the other:

OH, there's 2 layers:

This stuff is like wet cardboard:
      Starcraft pic thread

Comment

My boy Ryan helping:

Lots of standing water:

FLOOR AND FOAM OUT!

Dash carpeting off:

Filled with water to check for leaks:
        Starcraft pic thread

Comment

So, I learned alot yesterday.

1) it was ALOT easier than I thought it would be

2) The wet plywood probably weighed a few hundred lbs

3) the wet foam weighed 150lbs (we weighed it)

Now some questions:

I did notice a few leaks from some of the seams. I keep hearing about Gulvit, but can someone tell me about it and if its right for me? The leaks aren't major, just a few little drips.

I did use gluvit and coated most of the bilge, and all the seams along the hull.

When I put the new deck in, I am going to use poly. Someone mentioned that I would need to glass too.... in what manner? I have a gallon of poly and a bunch of csm and mat... which should i use?

I coated the underside with 2 coats of poly then used mat and poly on the topside.

when screwing the deck down, should i predrill and fill with 4200/5200?

I did fill with 5200

what foam should i use?

I used the pink bfoam boards from home depot.

what size area should i leave open for the bilge?

I left a 12 by 12 opening
          Last edited by Andy in NY; April 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM.
          Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-23-09

Didnt get a whole lot done yesterday, but some progress.

Got the other side panel off with the controls:

Got all the rivets and screws ground off:

Got the motor off:

and found out just how bad the transom is:
            Last edited by ezmobee; April 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM.
            Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-23-09

Now, how do I get the transom out with this in the way?

I used a grinder to cut just enough off to get the transom out. The caps cover up what i cut off.
              Last edited by Andy in NY; April 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM.
              Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-24-09

UPDATE: I didn't get much done yesterday, ended up going out on the lake when my wife got home. I managed to get most of the bolts that go through the transom into the knee brace out, but there are 4 or 5 on each side that on one side none of them wanted to budge... any suggestions on getting them out?

I ended up grinding the heads off the ones that were REALLY stuck.
                Last edited by Andy in NY; April 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM.
                Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
                  To be honest, I haven't understood how you've resisted at least tinkering with the Johnson for all this time......

First thing we did with mine when we got it home was hook a battery and some gas up to it and see if we could get it started. It did start and run (though obviously not on all cylinders) so we took the whole boat to our mechanic and had him get it all fixed up. We then picked it up from there and took it out on the river to test it out (sitting on lawn chairs). We were happy with the performance (thrilled actually, I punched it and knocked my dad off his lawn chair) so we took it back home and I got started on the interior.

I had assumed that you were figuring if you couldn't get the Johnson running you'd swap over the Mercury from the MFG.
                  I dont have a key for the johnson, have to order one. Thats the only reason i havent done anything with it yet.

and ya i had thought about putting the merc on it if the johnson was a bust...

so here are my thoughts... IF the johnson doesnt run or needs major work, then we can take the cash from the mfg and buy a motor. then keep on the pace im on now, doing a little here and a little there when finances allow. get the deck and transom done and get back on the water before summers end and finish up everything else as we go along.

or

put all the cash into the boat and have it 100% by fall, buy another outboard when we get out income tax return.

or

the johnson works fine and we are back on the water in a few weeks.
                  Last edited by Andy in NY; April 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM.
                  Starcraft pic thread

Comment

well, I just got back from the dump getting rid of the old deck, foam and carpet. 280lbs worth! and that doesnt include the transom or some of the deck that i saved for the bow! all that extra weight, thats like a whole person! I fugure that the new deck will weigh 100lbs.
                    Starcraft pic thread

Comment

i got the transom out, which didnt go willingly! it was still fairly solid, so i took some wire and fed it through a hole, and used a huge pry bar and lifted from the center. the hard part is that there is nothing to grip to just pull it out. but its out, and in 1 piece.

I also finished getting all the hardware off...

And I got the gluvit applied.

Today I am going to pick up the decking plywood, transom plywood and foam and am hoping to have all of it glassed and in by the end of the week while i have my inlaws garage (they are out of town).
                      Last edited by Andy in NY; April 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM.
                      Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-29-09 *FIBERGLASS QUESTION POST 58*

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
                        Sorry to complicate it, but just coating plywood with polyester resin doesn't help much. Polyester resin is fairly brittle and when used without glass will crack and peel off far sooner than epoxy, epoxy can and may do the same thing, but will hold up much longer. Add a layer of glass to either one and the performance increases dramatically. Also polyester isn't a glue, so it's not all that good at bonding plywood together, epoxy is and excellent glue and does a very good job at sticking two sheets of ply together.

Well, heres the thing, I already have 2 gal of poly. Im on a pretty tight budget, so if theres a way i can use it and still do a decent job I would like to. for the underside, will the poly hold up as a SEALER on its own? I do plan on glassing the top, so I dont think strength will be an issue. If it really comes down to it, I will get some epoxy, but like i said i have the poly and am on a budget.
                        Last edited by Andy in NY; April 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM.
                        Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-29-09 *FIBERGLASS QUESTION POST 58*

Well, yesterday was an incredibly productive and good day. had a little help from my brother in law and his girlfriends father, both are into carpentry. they had the entire deck cut out in less than an hour, with Ernie making cardboard templates and Romeo cutting while Ernie was making the next.

and I worked on the transom

Also, I had decided to list the motor that came with it on craigslist to see what kind of interest i could drum up. i listed it as running but needing major work for $400, and this guy calls me says he wants it and will trade a RUNNING AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL 1974 rude 50hp. The guy is about 3 hours from me, but only 30 min from Bob_VT so he took a ride to check it out for me.

Bob said it was a heck of a deal, so im going sunday to make the deal. I figure I cant really go backwards on it...

I also fell into a few other deals yesterday too. While Ernie was helping me, he was asking about my paint plans. He said if I wasnt dead set on maroon and grey, he had 2 quarts of emerald green and 2 quarts of white topside marine paint from interlux he would give me!!! WOO HOO!

But wait, theres more!

He said he has a trailer too, galvenized thats been sitting behind his barn. He has to check with his son, and if he doesn't plan on doing anything with it he'll give it to me for like $200. I can easily turn mine around for that.

Yesterday was a great day, today im hoping to get started in resin but I have a guy coming to look at my mfg.
                          Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Originally posted by jonesg View Post
                            interlux topside is rather slick,
                            they have a deck paint that is very good though called interdeck.
                            A quart goes a long way if you brush it.
                            Deck paint is also non glare, less headaches from the sun.
                            I should easily be able to get away with a quart on the deck, even with 2-3 coats. Although Im not worried about something that is too slick because the paint will be laced with sand.

Well, no progress yesterday due to the sale of the mfg, but I did get out and get most of the supplies i needed... so today I will be getting the deck coated in resin and ready for install. My hopes are to have the deck and transom in 100% by friday.
                            Starcraft pic thread

Comment

okay, what do you guys think of the color sceme? the actual color may be a bit different, but this is how i want the lines to be...

Starcraft pic thread

Comment

Working...
                              X