it just wont start!

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class
1973 johnson 115 115esl73m
here goes,i got this motor supposedly just needed to get new battery pump the ball and it would fire up.yeah right! i rebuilt the carbs,put new screen in fuel pump, it works fine.new plugs w/ good spark.turns over great but will not start.(kinda w/ ether)i know dont use ether but its to tempting when you really want this thing to start. could you guys please help me troubleshoot this. by the way ive got the clymer manual but not all the necessary testing tools ie:ammeter,flouro tester?
oh yeah the lower unit is also froze up,no gear oil while left in saltwater.future post!
:'(

Walker

Captain
Re: it just wont start!

Do a compression test. You say you have spark. That leaves compression, fuel and timing. Timing should be fine unless somebody has messed with it.
Fuel??? Do your choke butterflies close all the way.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your refering to the forward most butterflies then no they seem to be slightly opened. like you said i dont believe the previous owner messed w/ the timing.
whats the best course of action regarding the butterflies?

Walker

Captain

Is the electric choke working??
Make sure the butterflies will close completely with your hand. You should be able to loosen the choke solenoid mount and slide the solenoid farther away and the butterflies should close more.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah they close by hand,i will adjust solenoid height.
if compression ends up being good and choke is shut what will be the next step? i really appreciate your help Walker, takes a little stress off.

Walker

Captain

tschamp20 said:
yeah they close by hand,i will adjust solenoid height.
if compression ends up being good and choke is shut what will be the next step? i really appreciate your help Walker, takes a little stress off.

If all that is good then she should start.
Try cranking her with your hand sealing the throats of one of the carbs. it should draw gasoline enough to get on your hand. If not let us know if you can feel the vacumn.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

adjusting the height didnt seem to change the gap between butterflies and carb. housing. should the toggle switch at controls have to be held or just flipped once because when i release toggle switch it disingages.and there still is a gap.
oh and there doesnt seem to be any vacuum maybe even some air coming out
this motor hasnt run in over a year.
thanks again

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

well now i have an almost non existant spark.it was fine a week ago.is there some thing i can check or what is the obvious cause a blown power pack? low spark on all 4 maybe none on one plug wire

Walker

Captain

The choke switch has to be held on. Your weak spark could be caused by slow cranking speed. Is your battery getting tired?
IF there is no vacumn at the carb throat I suggest you pull the carbs and look in the intake at the reeds. See if they all look like they are seating. Also make sure your carb to manifold gaskets are good.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

you might be on to something.the battery is only 2 weeks old but i have made several attempts to start (20+)probably needs charge.
just "rebuilt" both carbs if you can call it that.the kits for my carbs basically only had needle/seat and gaskets.did them yesterday so gaskets are new.when they were off nothing seemed to look out of the ordinary considering i dont know what i was looking at.are reeds the outboard equivilent to the valves on a car?

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

I would clean all the grounds within the ignition including every coil ground even if they look clean. It seem every old motor I come accross I always end up cleaning all the ingnition grounds. If it takes you less than a few hours to do so you missed alot.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Walker you know alot more than I so tell me if this is wrong. I had a 77 115 that was giving a weak spark and it also had a heat sensor missing on the port side of the motor with the wire hanging lose. Kowning that the horn sounds with the sensor sorting to gound I just used it to touch all the ignition grounds. When the horn would sound I would know the gound on that coil was good. What I found on the bad corroded or gummed grounds the horn would sputter. tschamp20 don t do this until Walker says it is ok the last thing I want to do is give you some bad advise.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

tschamp20,

This series 1973-1976, requires a fully charged and very powerful battery to spin at least 250RPM per both your owner's manual and service manual specifications.

Without that you will not get spark with the plugs in, period.

Also, for a cold start, you must have the choke fully closed until the engine fires.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get your electrical ok. then just before starting take a spray of squeeze bottle,with premixed gas and oil in it. spray it into the carb throat. this is much better on ther motor than ether.
on the engine should be a choke button, push all the way in the choke is disabled, 1 click out it is activated by the remote control, all the way out the choke is manually activated.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

very useful info from everyone.thank you.
looking for a charger to borrow,ill update when charged.
going surfing in OBX for july 4th,gotta get wet somehow!
thanks again