"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wonder if my compressor will provide enough pressure for the pot ... I have an extra tank I have been wanting to hook up to it . I hear that will give better spray time ... Would hate to have gell in the gun and have to wait for it to catch up ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nozzle comes complete. Nozzle, needle, and cap just like the link. I bought it 3 years ago and have never used it. I DID try it out and assemble it onto the Purple People eater to confirm it would work and it did Perfectly!!!! I bought 3 - 1.8 2.0 and 2.5.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, the pressure usually isn't the issue so much as the volume of air your compressor can put out. Having an extra tank will help a lot at first, but if the pump can't keep up with the volume you will have to stop and wait for it to catch up. Do you know the CFM rating of your compressor at 90 psi?

One of the big advantages of the pot, is that since it is pressurized you can push more viscous material like gelcoat through the gun. The down side is they take longer to clean, which might lead to a big mess.

If it were me I would spend a few more bucks and run with a dump gun. Every time I try to save a few bucks and reinvent the wheel I end up spending just as much and get a lot of brain damage along the way......that being said, I have never sprayed gelcoat, so I maybe way off base.

I like Achmin's gun, but I couldn't find the cost for the replacement parts. Not cleaning sounds good, but 3m is usually proud of what they make....it always works but is expensive.

Hadn't thought of carb cleaner gm, but I bet that works well!

This is going to be interesting :popcorn: I'm sure you will sort it out!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam don't worry, a HVLP spray gun actually doesn't need very high pressure, hence hvLP. In fact most HVLP guns use a mere 10psi at the tip. And to get that pressure you usually have to supply the gun with about 35psi at the gun. I use a regulator at the gun along with a water trap as well. There are both really small but do the job well. So you don't want 90psi out of the compressor, and therefore the lower psi the higher the CFM capibility. And I don't see you having any issue with your setup. The pressurized cup would not put any larger demand on the compressor because I bet it is very low. It sounds like it would be high because it is called pressurized, but I'm betting probably around 10psi or less as well. All the pressurized cup is going to do is keep the gel material flowing, not much more. I once had a pressurized syphon feed gun. And not thinking I plugged it up to the air line not even lowering the regulator at the compressor. Bad idea! Than cup on the gun ballooned out like a ball and luckily it didn't explode. Yes it never returned to a normal cup design ever again. So be really careful with closed pressurized guns and keep the pressure low until you get everything working properly. Or you could be painting the entire area with splatter gel coat... :eek: However, I'm certain the instructions that come with such guns will explain all that to you. One other suggestion, every time I decide to spray anything these days, I first drain the compressor tank. Amazing to see the amount of water that comes out of it. Otherwise I would be spraying both air and water...not a good thing at all... But I have total confidence in you and your abilities from posted pictures... :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GT is probally right, I haven't used a HVLP, I still use conventional guns. They work a well on metalics, but have a lot of over spray. I had a 5 hp cambell hausfeild, that worked, but I would have to stop every so often and wait for it to catch up at 35 to 40 PSI. The lower pressure will help for sure.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have shot a good bit with it using the hvlp sprayer .. It keeps up ok I guess ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Had to baby sit the steel guys on one of our job sites Saturday.. Basically watch them weld metal roof deck to the bar joist .. Kinda like watching paint dry so I threw the console in the truck so I could at least get something done on the boat .. Cut out all the bad wood and then sanded about 3 or 3 layers of rattle can paint jobs off of it ..

So today I just could not take it anymore ! I have been working in the dirt under the new shelter not only getting dirt all in the boat but we have been fighting fleas in the yard all summer ! The dogs keep digging under the Borum throwing dirt everywhere ., So I moved the boat out treated the whole area with bug stuff then laid a layer of this therma ply down .

Hopefully that will help out until I can pour a slab probably early next year ..
After that Me and Chris put the MFG in and did a little tubing /swimming to cool off ..

Cheers everyone !!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Awesome that the MFG got wet!

The fleas and the dirt, not so much............. Nice thinking on the console work though

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got everything filleted and filled in .. Sure took a lot of pb .. If I would have had just a bit more of the soylent green I could have saved a good bit of pb .. Still a few little dips here and there but I think it's guna be just fine . Thinking a layer of csm and 1708 should do it ..

The resin seems to adhere to the soylent very well ..
I want to make my own fairing this time . With the poly which would be best the Q-cells or the micro balloons I will need to order it . My glass guy does not use it for fairing so they don't carry it ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
that is just weird looking sam, lol! Are you doing the CMS first or the 1708? What weight 1708 are you using?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Glass Bubbles and wax for your fairing material and thin it with acetone. I like it like Thin Mayonaise that way it has No Pin Holes. Mix @ 1% MEKP or .75 since it's so stinkin HOT!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Arch , I think I,ll lay the csm down first then the 1708 biaxle mat side up . Wet on wet .. Not sure what the weight is . 17 oz with .75 mat stitched to it I think ..
Thanks Woody ! Hey we did get a cool front come through .. It cooled it down to a nice 90 deg high temp .. ;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Arch , I think I,ll lay the csm down first then the 1708 biaxle mat side up . Wet on wet .. Not sure what the weight is . 17 oz with .75 mat stitched to it I think ..
Thanks Woody ! Hey we did get a cool front come through .. It cooled it down to a nice 90 deg high temp .. ;)

Not knowing, why use CSM and then 1708 over top. What does each bring to the project over the other. I understand CSM on plywood for waterproofing, but that looks like it would be already waterproofed via the mix and pour soylent green you applied. So why CSM and not just 1708 and be done with it... :noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm , the deck is not quite as smooth as plywood and the csm going on first will give better adhesion . And laying it down wet on wet will let me turn the mat side up on the 1708 for a little better finish on the topside and aid in other tabbing s for different things later on . Hope that makes sense ....