1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
forward progress P3260002_zpsapp3auvl.jpg P3260001_zpszdkgboww.jpg
If I can give anyone advice it would be take a lot of pictures and even more measurements. Then when you think you have everything you need take more of both

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Ditto to that. Said the same thing in my thread. I am almost done with putting my floor back in and I have asked myself 100 times way didn't I take more pics or measurements of this or that. Yours is looking very clean. Awesome work.

zool

Captain
Looks good minch, the 1st pic in post 361 makes her look HUGE!....you sure you didn't stretch it when we weren't looking? :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, well, there's some wood that's NEVER gunna delaminate!! Whoever the next owner of this boat is, will be very appreciative of the GREAT attention to detail and craftsmanship that you are exhibiting. Referencing them to this thread will go a LONG way to the selling of this boat IF it ever comes to that.:joyous:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks everyone I appreciate the compliments!!! My plan is to glue all the joints then either screw or staple them. I assume I can use epoxy as the glue? Also should I wet all the wood out on a bench then install it in the boat or install the wet it out?

zool

Captain
Thanks everyone I appreciate the compliments!!! My plan is to glue all the joints then either screw or staple them. I assume I can use epoxy as the glue? Also should I wet all the wood out on a bench then install it in the boat or install the wet it out?

Yes, thickened epoxy = glue

Technically, you can wet it before of after, but keep in mind that the pb may not totally seal the lower edge of the ply. I coat mine 2 or 3 times on the bench, more on the edges, then another right before I lay the cloth.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer

Lovely work.

Like zool, I'd wet it out first.

No need for metal fasteners, thickened epoxy will be plenty strong enough.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok I will precoat before I install. Arawak I was going to use the mechanical fasteners just to hold together until glue sets but did plan on leaving them in.
Zool So i do have to thicken it first I am just talking about the butt joints. Then when that sets up I plan on filling all areas with thickened epoxy.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I will precoat before I install. Arawak I was going to use the mechanical fasteners just to hold together until glue sets but did plan on leaving them in.

Doesn't matter, as long as you seal them over. Personally I prefer to not have any metal fasteners, but that's just me. I like to use the green coated deck screws to hold glue-ups in place, because the epoxy doesn't stick well to the coating and they are easy to remove after it sets up.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Like Arawak said.. But Do make sure the EEEEEEpoxy isn't set up cause you'll never get that drill bit in there later to pull them out. Either way works though as long as you end up sealing them which you do when/if you glass over them. Edges and voids get filled, sanded and sealed. I find it easier to do on a work station while it's flat to wet out.

zool

Captain
Zool So i do have to thicken it first I am just talking about the butt joints. Then when that sets up I plan on filling all areas with thickened epoxy.

When you coat them, you want it thin, to penetrate the plys of the edges, the sides don't need as much, because its just one ply to the ext glue for the lams...

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Another question. I was reading through some other threads and you mention thickening epoxy with west 403 to make glue. Can I use cabosil ? any pros or cons

zool

Captain
Another question. I was reading through some other threads and you mention thickening epoxy with west 403 to make glue. Can I use cabosil ? any pros or cons

Yup...West has some proprietary mixes, and gets detailed in their agents properties, Just my experience with 403 as an adhesive has been positive.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

I use cabosil and have no issues with it at all. You just need to find the mix consistency that will work so it's not too runny. I like to make it thick to the point that it sticks on my mixing tool and does not fall off. Also even thicker you can do upside down buttering and it will stay in place. Zool likes the west system but I started with the cabosil and have no negative comments. So I'm sticking to it. No pun intended.

zool

Captain
Yep, KC, I don't mind springing for a few xrta bux for their agents, but im too cheap to buy their resin :D....GWPSR was using wood flour, and that worked out fine too.....If it wasn't for the contaminants, you could probably just sweep up the shop floor, and throw that in epoxy LOL

Im gonna head out back in a few, to see whats going on in the boat...hope I can remember where I left it ;)

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Instead of Thinning the epoxy try sitting the two parts in hot water before mixing. This will loosen up the viscosity and allow it to penetrate further.

zool

Captain
Instead of Thinning the epoxy try sitting the two parts in hot water before mixing. This will loosen up the viscosity and allow it to penetrate further.

If you hit the edges with a heat gun after coating, it will draw the resin in...as it thins

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok so all my stringers, bulkheads, are built and cut to size. P3290002_zpsq4qkoofn.jpg

Last edited: