Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I dont have any old ones laying around but all the alphas appear to have the transom plate bolts go through at 90 degrees to the transom. Now, these are all put together and running boats so I could be wrong because I cant get a real close look at the plates from the inside. All these transoms are also close to 90 degrees.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I had some technical issues today, but finally managed to get something done!

This is the mold for the keyhole collar....which should make more since when I get the video posted.

cutt out the seacast spacers in between layers of glass

Not the pretties glassing job, but it will work!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No biggy on the glass job .. After the pour you can clean it up if ya want ..
What did you use to cut the spacers ?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, I had an old carbide blade for the table saw, think it was a 40 tooth or so. I bought it to cut out the fiberglass blocks I made for mounting Miss Morgans gas tank. It was a little dull, but worked good. If I had a sharp blade it would have cut nicely, but I didn't want to dull up a new blade for a few cuts.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
One sort of update, I sold the pontoon today....kind of sad, but I was tired of moving her every time I mowed! I have decided to to a house boat version of the pontoon one of these days, something that I can trailer. that does replenish the war chest some for Fuggly however :). I should be getting back to her tomorrow evening, time to start fitting her new glass parts!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry to see it go.....I learned a bunch from that thread!. Restocked piggy bank is always good!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I think it went to a good owner, who has the $ to get her going. I needed to focus on Fuggly and the jeep.....and I have one less thing to mow around! I would like to revisit that one of these days, but I think I will buy new pontoons to fit my plan. The ones on the 24' were too small for a small houseboat, which is the direction I think I would like to take that concept. Anyhow, time to focus on Fuggly and get her on the water!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Hay arch very nice progress as usual excellent work!!! What kind of jeep you got?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks ahmincha! I was going to work on it last night, but we had some very exciting storms and i thought it best to say close to the cellar.....Its kind of like Johnny Cash's Cadillac....its a 57, 58, 59, 60 automobile, lol. Its a CJ5 that is a lot of different pieces put together. It has the V6 Dauntless, which is a GM motor that Kaiser put in them. Noting fancy, mostly stock.....just a 4 wheel drive beer wagon for the beach at the lake.

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander
Thanks ahmincha! I was going to work on it last night, but we had some very exciting storms and i thought it best to say close to the cellar.....Its kind of like Johnny Cash's Cadillac....its a 57, 58, 59, 60 automobile, lol. Its a CJ5 that is a lot of different pieces put together. It has the V6 Dauntless, which is a GM motor that Kaiser put in them. Noting fancy, mostly stock.....just a 4 wheel drive beer wagon for the beach at the lake.

Sounds like one of mine. A '76,'77,'79,'82. Someday I'll get back at it.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah good idea keep that head down during the storms.
Yeah me to on the jeep 91,93,94,95 its a yuppy jeep haha

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
OK so I have had my head down, flooding, lighting, straigh line winds, baseball sized hail, yep, spring in Oklahoma. I dodged everything but the flooding 10" in 4 days. My pasture got some flood waters from the creek and took out about 100' of fence. Everything else is ok, so not a big deal. One thing that floored me was the missing rip rap I put along the creek bank, 200 cubic yards of 8" block.....gone! That is something like 300,000 pounds of concrete missing! That would be a great weight loss program right?

Between dodging storms I made some progress on Fuggly, finally putting her back together!

I glued the keyhole collar to the transom skin with some resin and 2 oz mat, worked nicely.

I also glued my seacast spacers to the transom skin using the same method.

Next I glued the inner skin to the blocks and collar

While that was firing off, I glued the two halves of the forward bulkhead together, same method with the seacast blocks.

Bricks worked great for clamps......and I had to run, another big T storm was on the way. I'm tired of spring by the way.....

I got the forward bulk head in place with the help of some duct tape and blocks.

I got the first layer of tabbing on both of them

Now the lake place is flooding....so now its off emergency dock work, otherwise it will float off the pilings.....did I mention I was tired of spring!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! Stay safe with all the flooding and storms Arch !
The skins turned out fantastic ! Nice work ! Funny you can see the spacers in the upper bulkhead ..
Are you going to place some forms on the skins to keep them from bulging from the heat ? Or are thinking it will be ok without ...
Getting closer to the pour ! :cool:

zool

Captain
Was wondering how the keyhole thing was handled, looks great arch!..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, I will probably brace the top of the forward bulkhead to keep it strait. I was worried about that on Miss Morgan when I did the transom. My friend David, who introduced me to seacast, talked me out of bracing the tranasom, worked like a charm. The transom is really stout now that I have the skins tabbed, and you could tell how much the collar stiffened he keyhole even before the inner skin. I was wanting to pour this week, but looks like I am going into boat dock welder mode........nothing like 250,000 cubic feet of water per second to get your attention! The only thing that is more work than a boat, is the dock!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Zool, the colar worked out nicely. I think I am right at 2-1/8" or so. Right on the sweet spot!

zool

Captain
I thought you were gonna make a temporary plug for the keyhole, then remove it after the pour...what do I know? lol...I like the collar idea, looks kinda like a toilet wax ring :rolleyes: :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
ummm yeah same concept I guess........I don't think fuggly is going to like that terminology...