Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

zool

Captain
Well my grass has started growing like crazy too all of a sudden :eek:

Guess ill have to get the tractor started, or hang up the "hell no, we wont mow!" sign ;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is a good thing about being single, lol!

I had a little time in the shop tonight. I built a quick motor mount mold out of some 2x6s and cut out the glass. I managed to cut it out of the left-overs from the transom. So far I think I have used about 8 yards of 1708 and 3 yards of 2 oz. chop strand.

I was planning on laying it up, but it was a little cool and I didn't feel like heating it up. Tomorrow is going to be in the 70s, so I'll just lay it up when I get off work. After that its down to cutting things out and tabbing them in! I'm going to do the transom first then, then the self leveling seacast. After that I'll get the forward bulk head in and the motor mount. I hope to pour seacast early next week. I do have some chores Saturday morning, but should have the rest of the weekend to get her ready for the pour.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is the plan. The orginal was 1/2". I'm thinking 3/4" for the pour. It's latterly braced by the deck so I can't see it going anywhere. I may bump it to 1" for workability but haven't decided yet. Any suggestions?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Im thinking 3/4 is more than plenty... what kind of fore/aft force does it get... no a lot I bet.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I doubt very little, it looks like the main function is to provide vertical support for the back half of the upper deck in the bow area. It probably also helps counter any torsion put on the bow,, like a wave hitting the bow on the corner at a 45 degree angle.....putting a twisting force on the hull I think that would put more stress on it than any fore aft stress. The seacast should be overkill for that too.

I was actually thinking of making it wider for workability while pouring the seacast.....its kind of like peanut butter, but I think I can manage with 3/4". I don't think I would go any thinner than that however.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You will probably need to make some type of funnel ... maybe with some thin sheet metal to keep the opening as wide as possible ..A yard stick and rubber mallet to pack it in there ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is what I was thinking also, it is impossible to work with if you don't have funnels.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I pulled the motor mount off the plug tonight, time to start putting in the pieces this weekend.

tallcanadian

Captain
This thing is gonna look like a million bucks. I love this boat. All your going to need is some dental insurance for those windy days. But she's going to hold a load, that's for sure. Great job.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey TC great to hear from you! How is the water up there? Still frozen or has it thawed yet?

Fro 19' she is a big girl, I will be curious about the ride.....but I bet you are right on the insurance!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
by the way, does anyone have an MC1 drive keyhole template? I'm sure that is like asking for a 12 century sea chart! I know the alpha 1 is close but I think wider, and the bolt layout is a little different.

tallcanadian

Captain
Hey TC great to hear from you! How is the water up there? Still frozen or has it thawed yet?

Fro 19' she is a big girl, I will be curious about the ride.....but I bet you are right on the insurance!

Actually most of the lakes still have ice but it won't be long. It's all black sludge like. It's suppose to warm up into the 60's starting Monday. Can't wait for that. Your boat is a big girl, I really like it . It won't be too bad on choppy water with that weight....:D:doh::lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
She is actually surprisingly light. I wast thinking about that last night, but I think she will do well given the hull design. The hull design was one of the reasons I bought her....just thought it was pretty cool for an early 70's boat.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Did you check the FAQ's in the merc section. I am pretty sure I remember seeing a MC1 diagram somewhere. It also may have been in one of these rebuild threads. OOPS' thread seems to ring a bell.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I found one for an alpha, which is pretty close, but it looks a little different. I made a template of mine inside and out, but its hard to tell how big the mickey mouse ears need to be. It looks like somewhere around 1-3/4"...but both sides are different, lol! I guess when in doubt make it the larger size. I'm guessing they need to be drilled about about 50 degrees or so?"

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
how much does your transom slope? A fifty degree angle seems huge to me but I may have a problem visualizing what you mean