88 Bayliner Trophy 1710 - wet foam and ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
In the spring, I was preparing to continue my previous project, when I saw a 17' 1988 Bayliner Trophy centre console for sale. I had started to realise in the fall that the Chrysler was going to be less boat than I really wanted, and when I saw this I decided to abandon the first project. This, I told my wife, was almost ready to go, just needed a motor.

Of course, June came around and I was still fiddling with controls, and steering, and getting the FrankenChrysler I picked up running right. The FrankenChrysler was a late 70s 105HP that had been rebuilt with bits of various motors by an older fellow who loved his Chryslers and used to own a dealership. He was a friend of a friend (another Chrysler fan) and once he got it going he put it aside and moved on to other projects.

Anyway, eventually I got the boat into the water, sorted everything out, and was running around Lake Erie and lake St Clair. My first clue that the foam might be soaked came the first time I got her up on plane. It took a bit, even though there was plenty of motor behind her. Later, I came to see that every time I went out, the bilge would drip for days afterward. Finally, when I took my father and godfather out for a trip, I was shocked to see how low the stern was with three big men and a full tank of gas. If I tried to fish off the stern, the scuppers started letting water into the boat!

So, I decided to undertake another Boat Project (tm) at the end of the season. My father has agreed to enlarge his works hop so that the project can be done over the winter. He has a large out building that is half workshop, half two bay garage. He spent the last two weeks putting up and insulated wall between the bays, insulating the garage door, and removing the wall between the workshop and the insulated bay. The workshop is heated by a woodstove, which will hopefully be enough, but if not there is 220v which can drive an electric heater.

So, here I go. My plan is to remove the cap and tub, so that I can get at the foam. I am prepared to have to replace the floor, stringers, and transom as well, but hopeful that maybe the transom will be ok. Along the way, I plan to add various upgrades, like a motor mount for a kicker, an extra bilge, and extensive re-wiring.

This was the boat this morning:

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG
IMG_2476.JPG
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Spent a couple hours today getting the console off. Had to disconnect all the wiring and the controls. Took longer than you might think. I tried to remove the steering wheel and the teleflex steering assembly, but couldn't figure out how. It seemed to be just a matter of removing the nut that held the wheel on, but nothing would budge, so I left it. In the end it all came out without too much hassle. In ended up with this:

IMG_2483.JPG

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Later this week I'll start to remove the cap. Going to need maybe 5 guys to help me lift it off. Not exactly sure how heavy it will be.

In the meantime, I'm going to start working on the console. Going to patch most of the holes that have been drilled in it over the years, and paint it. Haven't decided whether to paint it the same blue as the stripe (darker than the 80s blue it is now) or paint it white. Would appreciate thoughts about this.

IMG_2496.JPG

Removed the Radio Shack speakers in to sides... I'll never use them. Thinking about ways to maximize the stowage in the console. Maybe built in plano box holders on the sides.

zool

Captain
Nice progress Arawak, I would make it white, to match the hull, they always look better in white...makes the interior look bigger too. ;)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
One thing to keep in mind is that when that motor was labeled a 105 horse motor it was measured at the crank,...

Sometime in the early to mid 80's (I think that is the right time frame) they started measuring horse power at the prop,...

Which should mean your "105" would probably be a 75 or 80 by today's standards,........I think the math is close there,

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Which should mean your "105" would probably be a 75 or 80 by today's standards,........I think the math is close there,

Yeah, I know it's not a 105... in 1982/1983 the same motor was sold as a 90 before they became Force. However, the old fellow who rebuilt it bored it out and put in the pistons and head from a 135. It also has a racing LU that takes merc props, and I think carbs from a 125. So it's likely at least equivalent to a 90HP. It's also quite light (250lbs) so that might count for something. These boats were sold with an 85HP Force, IIRC.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I would make it white, to match the hull, they always look better in white...makes the interior look bigger too

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. My wife suggested I check out photos of other boats and it looks like they are all white.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Didn't have a lot of time tonight. Just stripped the console of everything except for the steering assembly I can't figure out how to remove.

IMG_20140930_205217.jpg

Going move the VHF down to where the cutout for the stereo is, and fill in the old cut out above it. Will also square off the gaping hole where the dash is, and fill the two round gauge holes near the top. Then there will be a lot of sanding, screw hole filling and prep work.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You're making progress. :) What a great fishing rig!

My steering wheel looks a lot like yours except it has a stainless steel hub cover. I just remove this hub cover and there's a nut that secures the wheel in place. Have you popped off the center hub cover?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
You're making progress. :) What a great fishing rig!

Thanks, it's kind of what I have always wanted... big enough to take out on the great lakes, but small enough that I can load/unload by myself. Hopefully once I'm done I'll have something equivalent to a much more expensive boat.

My steering wheel looks a lot like yours except it has a stainless steel hub cover. I just remove this hub cover and there's a nut that secures the wheel in place. Have you popped off the center hub cover?

I did... there's a nut and a washer, which I removed. It looks like the wheel should just pull off, but I could not get it to budge. I didn't want to damage it, so I left it alone after a few attempts. It's made by Teleflex. Have you ever removed yours?

Mikeopsycho

No, I never removed mine, but I tightened it down a bit when it felt loose. My boat has hydraulic steering, so it might be a bit different.

Snazzy VHF. You don't want to recess one into the consul? I'm thinking security and clean lines. Looks like you'll have lots of room, but what do I know?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, definitely... that one can be bracket or flush mounted. I'll go flush mounted in the bottom right side, where there is currently a cutout for a stereo.

There's a $30 mail in rebate on now, so I think I'll buy it, and hand it to my wife to give me at xmas :)

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Arawak, your steering wheel is most likely on a tapered shaft. You can try to spray liquid wrench onto the shaft and tap lightly behind the wheel but if it has been on there very long you may have to buy or make a puller. I have seen them (steering wheel puller) on Amazon.com for bout 20 bucks but they may have one on Iboats.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
@89 resorter - thanks... I sprayed some 2WD40 last night (all I had on hand) and will give it a try again tonight. Failing that I'll get some penetrating oil and let it soak another night. My buddy across the road has a puller, but he's concerned it might bend the wheel hub. Worst case, I leave it on.

Rickmerrill

Love the smell of WD40 in the morning, it smells like victory! Lucky guy, congrats.

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
So, Thursday night I decided to use some marine filler to fill screw holes and rough fill in the cracks where I have fitted and glued in plywood plugs on the console. I had already mixed it up with some MEKP I bought in the spring for the gelcoat when I realized that it had come with its own hardener. I checked the can and it's vinylester based, so I figured it should be fine. However, it hasn't set up, even with a space heater blowing on it. Anyone have thoughts on how it clean it out... acetone?

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Today I went over to my dad's to work on removing the rubrail. The rivets at the back are regular aluminium and drilled out easily, but when you get around to the side, they are steel! I have never seen steel pop rivets before. These are proving to be a real PITA to get out. They are of course rusted, and the "nail" part is sticking out. I have used a dremel to grind this flat, since in most cases I cannot nail punch it through. None of dad's drillbits are up for drilling out steel, so I picked up a cobalt 3/16" bit on the way home. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Someone at Bayliner deserves a swift kick... if these had been aluminium I'd have been done by now.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cool Boat, I dont think ive seen one of theses before, mind if I tag along?

Status
Not open for further replies.