72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

Mark72233

Ensign
This boat belonged to my father and after he passed away it became mine. The year was 2002 and the port engine had a leak in the block and the fuel tank was leaking. So we pulled her out and I began taking engine and fuel tank out. That same month my wife gave birth to our first child and I was also recently promoted. Needless to say other things became a priority. Now fast forward 12 years, another kid and 2 more promotions and I finally am starting to have time, $$$, the drive to start this project and most importantly the bosses endorsement. The engines don't worry me much because I have 2 spares and plenty of experience rebuilding these engines. I will be looking for newer Merc outdrives to replace the ones I have so no real worries there either. The interior is what concerns me. I have not dove in there and removed anything else since 2002 so I don't know what awaits. After some research on this forum I can only imagine what everything below decks looks like. I have never done any type of boat restoration or fiberglass work. I have recently signed up on iboats forum and have been watching and following several threads learning a lot. I have been researching and planning for the past month or so and getting the garage ready for this project. My wife or more befitting the nautical theme, The Admiral has endorsed the project and is even willing to pitch in where and when she can. The funds have been set aside so next month I will rehab the trailer enough to get the boat from my moms house to its new home where all the fun will begin. I know I will be needing a lot of help along the way so I hope I can reach out to some of you for that assistance. While I have been out here stalking several of the posts I have noted how helpful everyone is on this forum. I have been a big follower of several members. Woodonglass, Goldie627, bigdirty, GWPSR, Mikeopsycho just to name a few. No, I am not sucking up, ok maybe just a little. Anyway I will post some pictures if I can figure out how bucket list works.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
FIRST!! :lol:

Welcome to dry docks Mark, and Iboats in general. Sounds like a fun project you're getting into, and for sure you are in the right place to get her all fixed up and back in the water again. :) How 'bad' its gona be will depend on how shes been stored, and how rough it was before being stored.. I'd guess a full gut job may be in the cards, just going by the year, but who's to say.. :rolleyes: Lets see those pics!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Hi and welcome, Mark...
I would like to come aboard and watch, learn and help when I can...
Great back story and yes, you are in the best place to get all the info you will need to restore this 'ol Formula to better than new condition.
Get a free photobucket account going, load up your pics in there, then use the IMG tag to post your pics here...once you get the hang of it, it'll be easy...
Best of luck and have fun!
GT1M:)

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi Mark72/233 and welcome. :welcome: I'm just stumbling along through my first boat project too, and I've gained a lot of confidence and a few knew skills by doing just what you're doing, lurking on this site. :) There are a lot of knowledgeable folks in the iboats forums who'll be happy to help out. Good luck with your Dad's boat!

Mike.

Mark72233

Ensign
Welcome aboard GT & Mikeo but watch your step she is in bad shape. I will try photobucket again for the pictures.

Mark72233

Ensign
Finally figured out the photo bucket...ok the Admiral did.

Uploaded by Mark72/233 4 Photos July 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM Go to post

fetch
fetch
fetch
fetch

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark72233

Ensign
I scored 4 used trailer tires and rims since the tires on the boat trailer have been flat for years. After work today put them on the trailer and for the first time in 12 years the boat is moving down the highway. Surprisingly the trailer had no issues on the trip from my moms house to mine. I have already started working on her. I will load up some pictures Saturday. Feels really good to be getting dirty and itching already from fiberglass dust.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In photobucket, select the pix you want to share, and click on the "img" where the mouse pointer is in this pix

When you click it, it will turn yellow and say copied, go back to your thread and click in the box, and paste it in, the pix will show up nice and big,

Mark72233

Ensign
No Title

It tells me invalid image file when I try that. Trying to upload from computer...

Attachments

• photo204537.jpg
    photo204537.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo204538.jpg
    photo204538.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo204539.jpg
    photo204539.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo204540.jpg
    photo204540.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 4

Mark72233

Ensign
Last Friday I moved the boat to its new home after sitting for 12 years the trailer made the move with no issues.

Mark72233

Ensign
Got it home and started the disassembling phase. During the week I got must of it done.
The fuel tank is shot.
The inside is a mess. But it was sitting for 12 years.

Mark72233

Ensign
What I got done this week. A quick cleaning and scraped the rest of the foam out of the fuel bay.
Measured a 100 different areas.
After a few hundreds pictures started taking parts off.

Mark72233

Ensign
15 years ago that blue carpet seemed a good idea. The glue sure did hold after all those years.
The last engine is out.
Stern Plate is shot. After 42 years and all that abuse.
Engine bay and the rest of the boat almost striped clean.
Everything is out of the boat except for the dirt.

Mark72233

Ensign
Started drilling the transom,stringers and engine mount.
Transom.
Motor mount.
Overall it was better then I thought it would be. Transom,motor mounts and bulk heads have to be replaced. The main port stringer up to the cabin bulkhead needs replaced.

Mark72233

Ensign
I started cutting the floor out yesterday. Once I get that completed I will take some pics and double check all the stringers and see what you think.

Mark72233

Ensign
Bulk head going into the cabin right in front of the fuel tank.

Exploratory hole in the port stringer and it is dry and solid. Correction from an earlier post it is the starboard main stringer that is shot. Rotten wood and delamination.

Mark72233

Ensign
Manufacturers defects. This is on the upper port side transom. Water was able to go straight into the transom wood through the skin and must of the wood in this area is gone or rotten. I noticed a few spots like this.

Mark72233

Ensign
Wood hopefully the pics came through this time.

Corjen if the pics did get through thanks for the help.