'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congrats on the flip! Can't wait to see how the bottom turns out. I'm sure it will look great!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Finally got done uploading the video. I shot this with my phone, so the quality is not super, but oh well.
When YouTube says that it will take 192 minutes, they mean it will take all 192 minutes!

http://youtu.be/ijoPINuwNmw

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Welcome back, safe and sound...
Blessings for helping others in need...
That went super smooth...nice job on the reinforcing and flip...
Like was mentioned before, this resto is one for the books...great reference for recent graduates of the "I just bought this new to me boat..."

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Perfect flip ! No wait ya have to do it again ... I didn't see any clamps used in the procedure !
Unless there was one holding the camera ? :rolleyes: :D
Nice job fella's !!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman, good job on the flip!!!! If I may, a suggestion to your "reworked cradle"..... I would put some 45 deg angle braces on your new supports to the cradle base, mine was similar and after a while they started wobbling from pushing the hull around in the shop.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Tried to post ya earlier but got ate up in the nether world....NICE JOB!! Who was that paid actor setting up the video machine of yours?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nurseman, good job on the flip!!!! If I may, a suggestion to your "reworked cradle"..... I would put some 45 deg angle braces on your new supports to the cradle base, mine was similar and after a while they started wobbling from pushing the hull around in the shop.

Thanks corjen, I thought about adding some angle bracing, but thought I might wait and see how it held up. I will add some if it starts to get wobbly, but I don't have to move it too much in my shop.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So that's how it's done........nice job! :thumb: Glad to see you back at the project! Just a couple spider cracks, those aught to buff right out :rolleyes::lol:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Perfect flip ! No wait ya have to do it again ... I didn't see any clamps used in the procedure !
Unless there was one holding the camera ? :rolleyes: :D
Nice job fella's !!

Thanks sp! I did use a couple of clamps doing the reinforcing..

Tried to post ya earlier but got ate up in the nether world....NICE JOB!! Who was that paid actor setting up the video machine of yours?

Ha! Dicaprio isn't the only one who has been overlooked for an Oscar...:rolleyes:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So that's how it's done........nice job! :thumb: Glad to see you back at the project! Just a couple spider cracks, those aught to buff right out :rolleyes::lol:

Yup dats hows she done. Just flipped mine. Mike you flip yours yet? LOL!
Nurseman.... and the Nominationsa are.... You! Great thread.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Just got done reading your thread nm excellent work I learned a few things keep up the great work

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Mr. Clampett...great to see things are flipping awesome! I addressed some spider cracks on my thread...post 165 (I think). I, too, dremeled, then filled (I think) with resin thickened with microballoons & a bit of cabosil(I was going for the sandable but sturdy thought process). Little sanding and I couldn't find them now if I had to. I know others use gelcoat to fill, but I chose differently. Can't wait to see you make quick work of the lower half.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just got done reading your thread nm excellent work I learned a few things keep up the great work

Thanks ahmincha! I have learned a lot as well.

Nurseman.... and the Nominationsa are.... You! Great thread.

I would like to thank everyone who has made it possible for me to be here tonight, especially all of my little clamps...:lol:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Friderday, I hope I can make quick work of the bottom half, but it might be safer to settle in for slow and plodding. (just depends on how bad my OCD gets with the sanding)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Spent some time today going over the hull with a straight edge checking for high and low spots. What I found was a fairly sizable hook in the hull just in front of the transom. I did some looking online, but could not find much info on whether Lund incorporated any hook into their design or not. In my limited experience and knowledge, it seems that the hull should be flat, but I don't know 100%. So, I am going to put it to my fellow iboaters. In your opinion, is this worth fixing, or will it not make a difference? I have never had this boat in the water, so I don't know how it handles under power.

Here is the port side, right on the keel

and the starboard, also right on the keel

Here is a rough contour map of the low spots, with the measurements in red. the hashmarkings show where it tapers to nothing. The small black rectangles show where the hull sat on the rollers. Here is the port side

And the starboard side.

Here is the straight edge on the port strake

Straight edge on the starboard strake

More pics in next post

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Continuing on with the straight edge pictures. These show a straight edge on the port side, starting at the strake, and working up to the keel.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is the straight edge on the starboard side, starting at the strake, working up to the keel.

I also managed to get a little sanding done as well. Gotta love the ol longboard!

So let me know what you guys think about the hook, I would like to make as informed a decision as possible.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gidday Nurseman.
I've been working away and I came back to see that you've made no progress on the boat.....I was hoping that all was well in the nurseman camp! Phew, you were helping out our fellow man, kudos for your service.
Any way back to the boat.... I was the 19th viewer on video on you tube. Great job on the flip, dust in the eyes of your offsider aside. Trusses are designed here to withstand high wind loads due to the regular cyclones (hurricanes) here. Your trusses are "king" type so they are exceptionally strong for loading. But then I am talking to a car pen ter! Overkill is always safer:D and you have that in spades!
Regarding the hollow spots, I too will wait for the more wise and experienced to weigh in here on that. Do the hollow spots relate or align with the rollers on the trailer? if so, then that instantly converts me to bunks on my trailer!
Good to have you back, keep up the excellent work.
Greetings from Oz.:cool:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nurseman, you're gonna need boxes and boxes of markers. Move over clamps you got competition!
What OCD? Did he say OCD, Nah....No OCD here! :laugh: Thanks! You made my morning. I'm laughing cause my son has OCD, I think I'll get him into the medical field or boat repair.