'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Also wanted to mention... Some people mix the catalyst in before they add the thickener/fibers others add it last. Some even mix a big batch up for later and add the catalyst just before they use it or store it in the fridge! So feel free to experiment with whatever feels right and works for you. That also applies to PB ratios; sometimes hairy, sometimes not, sometimes thick sometimes thin. But too many fibers and it gets lumpy and hard to manage.

Last edited:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
THAT is an excellent point rick...living in florida, I don't have much time to mix after catalyst, so I do "pre-mix" a fair amount of PB in advance. When I do add the catalyst, though, I add in thirds...add a bit-stir well, add a bit more-stir, add final third-stir. This way I am sure all of it gets catalyzed. By pre-mixing and adding catalyst all at once, you do run the risk of not being able to mix completely, leaving some pb that won't harden. You wouldn't want that under any of your stringers, fer sure. I have never had a prob with the "thirds" method. Use the frig method too..just really good points here Rick.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When I mix my PB I mix the Resin and 1/2 the Cabosil so it nice and creamy in a 1/2 gallon container Then I put the MEKP in and mix like crazy while adding the rest of the Cabosil and the CMF. This always ensures a good mix of the MEKP since its still very runny. Never had any issues doing it this way. I Put duct tape on my zip lock bags so they don't rip on me. Works great.;) I buy my spoons at the Dollar Store!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Transom is in!!!! 2 layers of 1708 on it as well! Had a good day. Here is some proof, will post more pics tomorrow

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm... I Knew it!!!! You're glassin skills are just as good as your wood skills Looks like that Holy transom gave you all kinds of trouble with that Runny PB running all over the place causing all kinds of Messes!!!!:eek::D:faint2: I bet that Gash on the Back is a TOTAL Mess and your boat will never be the same!!!!:jaw:

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is the tale in full. My Folks came up for the weekend, so my Dad and I worked on the boat yesterday. We started about 8:30 or 9:00 by mixing up some resin at .75% and coating the transom (no pic of that). While waiting for that to kick, I got things set out for the PB. I started by mixing up a 2 quart batch, with another 2 quarts ready to be mixed as soon as I got started with spreading the first. The PB recipe that I ended up using was pretty close to Woods. I mixed 1 qt of resin with 1/4 cup of chopped strand, added catalyst (1%), and then added 1 qt of cabosil. I was going to add the extra 1/2 qt of cabosil, but I stopped at 1:1, because it "looked right". (I was totally working by feel at that point, but I have learned to trust my gut). It came out as probably heavy mayonnaise, but it worked perfectly IMO. The consistency was very workable, yet held it's shape perfectly, as you can see in the pics.

Here is the initial "squish"

At this point, I experienced clamp issues. the epoxy that I used to hold the nuts in my clamps let go, and I had to improvise quickly!! We were trying to get just a little bit more squish on the bottom of the tramsom, and it was just too much for the way I built them. However, the wedges worked out just fine, and I will correct the clamps at a latter date.

I covered the break in the transom skin with a formica scrap covered with energy tape (the generic version of Tyvek tape), and used duct tape to hold it to the hull till the clamps were in place. Here is the "mold".

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So here is the transom after being smoothed out and waiting to kick

Cabosil is messy stuff!!!

The cover for the break in place

So. Considering all the debate that my transom has stirred up, I would just like to say that Wood's method was excellent, the PB oozed out the crack, and the mold held it in place, and it is absolutely rock solid and arrow strait!!

Pulled off the clamps and this is what I had, good squish, most of the holes were filled on the initial pass, and the ones that are visible here I filled in with PB as I did the filleting.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks to everyone who gave input on my initial attempts at filleting!!! I used Wood's recipe exactly at this point, and it was perfect. I also found some frosting bags at Walmart (box of 12 for <$5). More sturdy than the ziplock perhaps, and worked super- de- duper!. I also went and got me some dollar store ss table spoons, and let me say they did the trick also. Here are some pics of my fillets, way, way better than the previous attempt.

Had some extra, so I just put it where it looked like it was needed!.

Another thing that made every difference is using a bondo spreader to clean up beside the fillet, so that there were no extra nubs. After that kicked off, we cleaned up the few remaining "stickers" with a chisel and file, wiped things with acetone again, and got ready to lay cloth!.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I didn't think to take pictures of cutting and fitting the cloth, but I will try and remember to do that with the next layup. I decided to skip the layer of CSM, because the transom was very smooth at this point, and I had wiped PB across the entire surface while filling the holes. So I just laid two layers of 1708 across the transom, first layer onto the hull 6", and the second layer onto the hull 8" (sides and bottom). We also thought we would try and get it to go over the top. It took some tuggin and pullin, but we got it to lay out pretty good. I might have a spot or two to hit with the grinder, but that is it.

First layer

I used the saran wrap over a stubborn spot to get it to lay down. It worked really good, but the clamp kinda made a small resin starved area (about 1/2" by 1"), so if I had to try it again, I would just use a bigger piece of plastic and let the stickiness of the resin hold it in place. Another thing worth mentioning is that after the resin kicks, the saran wrap is REALLY stuck. but acetone takes it right off!

Second layer

I have to say that I am very pleased with how well this turned out, and want to say thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge and input.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm I am VERY disappointed! Your transom if RUINED for sure!!! All the newbs that come along and see this build will never be able to understand how to do a transom correctly and will ruin their boats if they follow your methods. What were you thinking doing it this way?

All kidding aside, I'd say that's about as good of a job of installing a transom as I've seen. You're gunna have to live to a ripe old age before that one has to be replaced again. Your PB mix looks Spot ON!!! This is turning out to be an iBoats Classic Build. GREAT WORK!!!! When you're ready to do the final patch work on the Gash in the transom we can discuss the layup if you need to. You may already have it figured out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Holy Moly ! That transom replacement is as good as it gets in my book ! I can't think of any other done any better ! :hail:
But how can The Mayor of Clampville ever have problems with clamps .. That's gunna go against ya when it's time for re-election ! But in your defense ,your improvising seemed to do the trick .. ;)
Congrats on a job well done !

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Uhmmm I am VERY disappointed! Your transom if RUINED for sure!!! All the newbs that come along and see this build will never be able to understand how to do a transom correctly and will ruin their boats if they follow your methods. What were you thinking doing it this way?

All kidding aside, I'd say that's about as good of a job of installing a transom as I've seen. You're gunna have to live to a ripe old age before that one has to be replaced again. Your PB mix looks Spot ON!!! This is turning out to be an iBoats Classic Build. GREAT WORK!!!! When you're ready to do the final patch work on the Gash in the transom we can discuss the layup if you need to. You may already have it figured out.

Thanks Wood, you gave good advice. I think that I have the outside layup figured out, but of course I will ask questions if need be!!

Holy Moly ! That transom replacement is as good as it gets in my book ! I can't think of any other done any better ! :hail:
But how can The Mayor of Clampville ever have problems with clamps .. That's gunna go against ya when it's time for re-election ! But in your defense ,your improvising seemed to do the trick .. ;)
Congrats on a job well done !

Thanks sphelps! I tell you what, when those nuts popped out, I had a brief "oh s**t" moment. But the wedges did indeed do the trick.

This is a textbook. Amazing work.

Thanks djm3801! The good advice and instruction on this site help to make it possible.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Wow....this transom is too pretty for a boy to have done!! Textbook transom install, for sure. PB looks perfect consistency, holes, cracks, crevices all filled in nicely. You must feel very proud and relieved and with good reason. Can't wait to see what's next, Mr. Clampett!!!

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just have to chime in a bit.I rarely read the complete thread without coffee & cig.breaks.But,this one kept me pinned from start to now.Really,there's no words;Woods nod is all one looks for & needs in a thread of restro.work.I will add,your whole background of skills came out in work done so far.Very good in all one can think of.Once done,I got a feeling this won't be the last one.Keep us all happy by keepin on keepin on.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Wow! Finally...
Got a chance to read your thread from start till now and I have got to say that you are definitely doing some amazing work.
I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and caliber of your work, you sir are a craftsman!
It pleases me to no end that the knowledge and information freely shared among the members of this site can and are continuously used to improve the techniques used to restore our boats.
It seems as though each quality build that is started here keeps raising the bar and producing higher and higher quality restorations.
"Mr. Nurseman Clampett" ;), A very sincere tip of the hat to your efforts and the speed with which you are producing results...and for someone who has no prior experience working on boats, you have certainly given back to this community by showing ingenuity refining, explaining and documenting techniques that others can learn from and use in future builds.
I will be anxiously awaiting any upcoming progress and want to offer the best of luck in everything.
Keep up the GRRRRRR-8 Work!
GT1M:)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow....this transom is too pretty for a boy to have done!! Textbook transom install, for sure. PB looks perfect consistency, holes, cracks, crevices all filled in nicely. You must feel very proud and relieved and with good reason. Can't wait to see what's next, Mr. Clampett!!!

Thanks friderday! I think that was a complement!?!? Yes, it was very nice to see it in place and glassed at the end of the day.

Just have to chime in a bit.I rarely read the complete thread without coffee & cig.breaks.But,this one kept me pinned from start to now.Really,there's no words;Woods nod is all one looks for & needs in a thread of restro.work.I will add,your whole background of skills came out in work done so far.Very good in all one can think of.Once done,I got a feeling this won't be the last one.Keep us all happy by keepin on keepin on.

Wow, what can I say, glad to provide such gripping entertainment! I appreciate the kind words, dude11, and yes, I have already made comments like "on the next one" and "next time" to the admiral (to a raised eyebrow and slight eyeroll).

Wow! Finally...
Got a chance to read your thread from start till now and I have got to say that you are definitely doing some amazing work.
I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and caliber of your work, you sir are a craftsman!
It pleases me to no end that the knowledge and information freely shared among the members of this site can and are continuously used to improve the techniques used to restore our boats.
It seems as though each quality build that is started here keeps raising the bar and producing higher and higher quality restorations.
"Mr. Nurseman Clampett" ;), A very sincere tip of the hat to your efforts and the speed with which you are producing results...and for someone who has no prior experience working on boats, you have certainly given back to this community by showing ingenuity refining, explaining and documenting techniques that others can learn from and use in future builds.
I will be anxiously awaiting any upcoming progress and want to offer the best of luck in everything.
Keep up the GRRRRRR-8 Work!
GT1M:)

Thanks GT1M, coming from you that means a lot! Your thread has been a storehouse of knowledge for me, so let me say thanks to you!! I am looking forward to the day when the bassassasin hits the H2O!

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class
wow, incredible glass and wood work.....i guess i need to step it up with the grinding lol