'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can see, I can see again. Those fenders look quite familiar. I do remember installing new fenders on my trailer rebuild. Are you going to weld them on, or bolt them on?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm leaning towards bolting, as I'm not sure that I can weld them without burning through...BUT, I might work up the courage to give welding them a try. I will try and have some progress pics later.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm leaning towards bolting, as I'm not sure that I can weld them without burning through...BUT, I might work up the courage to give welding them a try. I will try and have some progress pics later.

nurseman, if you never welded before, maybe get some help and try it. My son went through welding technical training and was a certified welder. But I never did any training myself. I started with little items and seen what worked and what didn't. And after a while, you will get the hang of what it takes to make a good weld joint and what makes a bad welding joint. In fact I can now hear the welding and know absolutely if it is good or bad by the actual sound. So don't be shy, go for it and try. Ha that rhymes. I really like welding now using a MIG (Metal Inert Gas) setup. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
gm, I went ahead and welded them on. I was a little concerned about welding the 16 gauge fenders to my 3/16" angles and trailer frame, but I managed to get them tacked on with no issues.:happy: I am going to make a step on both sides of the fender. Here are the starting pieces. I had 3" between the trailer and the fender, so I used 2 pieces of 1.5" angle to make a "Z" bar that I could weld to the axle assembly and the fender.

I also thought that a little bit of support on the back side of the fender wouldn't hurt anything, so I made a couple of braces.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here you can see the provisions for the steps before and after the wheel.

A couple of shots of both fenders tacked on. I also managed to get carpet on one bunk as well!

I had the jack located on the tongue, but I decided to move it back to on the trailer frame. I am also going to weld that on as well, and skip the bolt on brackets.
I had 6 feet of tongue from the jack stand to the coupler, and I decided that I really didn't need it that long. So I cut 3 feet off of the tongue. I like it much better now, there is a lot less flex in the whole thing, as well as looking better imo.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
This is only my personal preference,.....

I like to bolt the jack on the trailer only to make it easier to replace if it gets broke,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
nurseman, I like it. And whatever it takes to get the job done is the correct way to do it too. I made steps in both front and behind my fenders as well. If you click on my trailer project below, you can see how I went about it. Sure makes accessing things in the boat a breeze. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Quick update. I just put a deposit on a motor! :peace: Found a 1989 Evinrude E100STLCE at a local dealer for $1500 after tax, including controls! I wish I had a pic to show, but it looks just like a 90. I am super excited! Now I just have to get the rest of the boat done! I will have some pictures of it after I get it home, (probably this weekend.)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Al right! Nice addition there nurseman. You now have to post pictures of that engine. You know the saying, no pictures, didn't happen. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am picking it up Friday morning, so I should have some pictures then.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, I got the beast picked up and home with no issues. I wanted to fire it up just to hear it run soooo badly, but it was like 9 degrees :cold: today, so I wasn't going to play around with a hose and muffs.:nono:

The dealer had it nicely packed on a pallet for me.

I just used one of the come-alongs that I have been using to lift the boat and some straps to lift it up and put it on a stand.

Also came with a nice set of controls (and tilt gauge!)

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on the new power plant ! Should push her around just fine !

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was making motor sounds the whole time I was mounting it on the stand. It seems very fast...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
NM,
I have to tell you ...you are the only one in the world that can get away mounting that motor on your stand and still demonstrate clamps. Only you NM...you're the Best! :laugh:
Dig that motor, can't wait for it to Vrummm for ya. Smell anutter vid coming.