86 Sea Ray Restoration [Splashed Oct 2017]

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks Jas, full up sounds good to transport then i guess ill set it down on a piece of rubber or something for storage

im curious about the transom saver gonna look it up just to see whats it all about

I can't ever recall seeing an I/O with a transom saver. I have seen clips that attach to the extended trim rams; the clips supposedly will keep the drive from dropping if the hydraulics suddenly fail. (When was the last time you heard of THAT happening?)

If you built your transom well, a transom saver is unnecessary, IMO.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
yikes! i just realized i dont have a bilge blower set up...... what do you guys reccomend?

whats good?

pull air in and push air out? (with two fans)

or use one fan to push or pull? whats best?

i cant remeber how it was originally :faint2:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can't ever recall seeing an I/O with a transom saver. I have seen clips that attach to the extended trim rams; the clips supposedly will keep the drive from dropping if the hydraulics suddenly fail. (When was the last time you heard of THAT happening?)

yea my transom is bullet proof, i did alot of research, i learned alot from frisco boater and all the guys around here, transom is SOLID, no doubts

i cant mention fiberglass without mentioning woody, he was a HUGE help during fibergalss and paint ill never forget and always apreciate his kindness

on splash day im gonna make a speech becasue there are so many people i wanna thank for helping me make this happen

Last edited:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
the only thing im still a lil worried about is the extra weight from some of my jumbo fillets and using thicker wood and double tabbing with 1708 and chop stranding both sides of the floor and all the lil extras i did to make it right

i know sea ray had engineers but if you ever deconstruct one of these boats you'd see how much they cut corners

they under did it and i over did it :D

boatman37

Lieutenant
mine sucks air out and it blows it out the rear vents. my bilge vents on the sides are just hoses attached to the vents. no blowers

Rick Stephens

Admiral
One blower. The hose for it goes deep into bilge, the hose from other side can just go deck high. that way blower pulls fumes from down low and air comes in higher up circulating.

Baylinerchuck

Commander

Yeah, forget what I said. I was thinking of my Bayliner Capri with the 90 hp Johnson. As I was hooking up my trailer to splash the Chap I found myself looking for the transom saver. I mean I looked everywhere!! I finally leaned down and looked at the trailer......no bracket. Duh!!! The bracket was on the other EZ Loader trailer.....ya know the one I sold. Lol. Sorry for the confusion. I'm new to the IO thing. That's my story. Lol.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One blower. The hose for it goes deep into bilge, the hose from other side can just go deck high. that way blower pulls fumes from down low and air comes in higher up circulating.
Im sorry Rick but just wanna make sure i got this right......

one blower (fan), hose goes deep into the bilge, it will pull air (fumes) out and up to a louver that is blowing towards the back so there is no resistence on the out going air

the second hose (no blower) is deck high and the hose goes to a louver thats positioned to catch the incoming air (when under way)

do i have the concept right?

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, forget what I said. I was thinking of my Bayliner Capri with the 90 hp Johnson. As I was hooking up my trailer to splash the Chap I found myself looking for the transom saver. I mean I looked everywhere!! I finally leaned down and looked at the trailer......no bracket. Duh!!! The bracket was on the other EZ Loader trailer.....ya know the one I sold. Lol. Sorry for the confusion. I'm new to the IO thing. That's my story. Lol.
no worries, were all family! :grouphug: :watermelon::)

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Im sorry Rick but just wanna make sure i got this right......

one blower (fan), hose goes deep into the bilge, it will pull air (fumes) out and up to a louver that is blowing towards the back so there is no resistence on the out going air

the second hose (no blower) is deck high and the hose goes to a louver thats positioned to catch the incoming air (when under way)

do i have the concept right?

yup. Nailed it first time.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey everybody, the led lights look amazing! Will post picks soon...

Electronics 70% done.

Trailer lights 100% done.

Bilge pump 100% done

Bilge blower...... meh, having trouble finding the correct collection box, i may have to salvage the original with ducktape, as much as id hate to, i can always replace it later if i find one. I have the a new fan and new hose ready for installation

Do you guys have any recommendations for a material to use as a stern saver? I dont like king starboard, i thought it was the bees knees but turned out to be the bees crotch for me! :eek: not regular crotch, but hot sweaty summer crotch! :facepalm: :D:faint2: let me tell you why....

1.) expense, outrageously high in price
2.) it warps, anything less than 3/4 thickness WILL warp under pressure and/or in the sun (in my case pressure from gas pistons for the deck lids)
3.) you cant glue it to its self
4.) cant raw screw, have to pilot drill everything

if i cant find anything else ill use it, im just a lil grumpy over all the $$$ i spent just to find out after the fact that it maybe wasnt the best choice

I don't want to drill any holes. I want to epoxy some plastic or plastic like material to the bottom of the exterior transom and screw my speedometer sensor and transducer into that instead of the actual transom.

Can anybody vouch for an good quality epoxy that i can get from like home depot or lowes? Or one that i can order online and get it fairly soon? also will only need a relatively small amount for the plate.

My only other hang up is, how do i hold the plate to the transom while the epoxy dries??

Thanks guys, i should be shopping for champagne soon!!!:watermelon::fish2::victorious::bounce:

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Almost forgot, doesnt look like im gonna install the swim platform but i didnt fill in those holes before i painted. any suggestions on what to use to fill the holes? there are several places on the boat/trailer that need touch up so i can touch up the spots after the hole repair.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i thought it was the bees knees but turned out to be the bees crotch for me! :eek: not regular crotch, but hot sweaty summer crotch! :facepalm: :D:faint2: :

Dang it Goldie... now everyone knows Im screwing off at work because of the loud laughter!!!!! Thats some funny stuff there!!

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dang it Goldie... now everyone knows Im screwing off at work because of the loud laughter!!!!! Thats some funny stuff there!!

Hey Corj! Yea that was funny! Sometimes the truth is hilarious! Lol people was making it seem like king starboard was the second coming! Lol i bit too! Hook line and sinker :)

I'll make a video on my experience with it.

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm thinking about just ordering 2 stern savers..... but 50 bucks a pop... yikes...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I'm thinking about just ordering 2 stern savers..... but 50 bucks a pop... yikes...

The hell with that. Just get religion about using 4200 on the screws and go to mounting your stuff. How often you going to swap out transducers anyway?

Goldie627

Lieutenant Junior Grade
ok guys i need some help.... im so frustrated, lately i have had the worst luck.....

so last week i took the boat to go float test, the boat sits in the water at about 1 to 1.5 maybe 2 inches at the very most lower than before restoration so i was thrilled with the way it sat in the water. also i have a dusty bilge :D ive never seen it so dry! it was a good feeling that all my composite work payed off! :bounce:

so i get to the river set it in the water for a while then launch. get down the river and the boats starts to spudder a lil on top end :jaw: then it dies!!!! and will not restart. being so excited actually launching after 3 years i forgot the remote to the trolling motor:crazy: i left it in the truck!! so scott and i are floating down the river and it starts getting dark!!! lol no paddle, no tools, oy vey... so scott plays around with the carb and it starts but will only idle enough for us to barely move so were heading back to the dock at night pitch black going 2 mph !!!! LMAO

i get home that night and order a new carb just assuming that my rebuild was not as good as i thought, while the carb was on its way i bypassed the fuel tank and tried to start the boat from a gas container with fresh gas... no start, i check both fuel filters in fuel pump and carb both filters are clean

the new carb came i put it on still no start:croc::facepalm::grumpy::faint2: so i order a fuel pump, it comes i install it.... still no start!!! so i order pertronix ignitor 2 and pertonix flame thrower 2, while im waiting for those parts to come in the mail i figure for poo poo and giggles id take a look at the points... well... the tab on the pionts that hits up against the cam loab of the distributer had broke off!!!!! WTF???? those were new points!!! so the points must have been stuck shut causing the no starts

the ignighter 2 and flame thower 2 arrived, i got them installed, the problem is the timing is wayyyy advanced, when i try to move the timing mark towards the timing pad (retarding) the motor, it dies before i can get the timing mark to the timing pad..... any suggestions?? im bald from pulling out my hair:pout:;):drum:

side note: i got a taste of being out on the water and i loved it!!!!! these last three years have been worth it to have a boat exactly how i visioned it!!! in my vision it does start though LAMO!!! oh and run lol:):watermelon::laugh:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
We'll now you know how I felt on my first launch!! I will say it WILL get better!! I'm No Mel-a-new so no help here