Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If I were a welder I might! But obviously I'm not. :) Sent my kid to welding school then he moved away to Alberta! *Sigh*

Does he still come home for holidays? If not, PM me your home town, have a few old truck guys that I know in Canada from either the H.A.M.B or stovebolt. Maybe I can reach someone who can give you a hand

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does he still come home for holidays? If not, PM me your home town, have a few old truck guys that I know in Canada from either the H.A.M.B or stovebolt. Maybe I can reach someone who can give you a hand

Thanks Scott. I'll let you know. Think I got most of the welding stuff I need done covered. One of the guys near here who builds dirt track race cars is supposed to be the best TIG alloy welder around. We'll see how much he wants to charge.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay, now that makes sense, most of the time on personal boats, you don't see bow thrusters, I was just confused. Thanks.

KnottyBuoyz

Took 'nother bite out of the whale this morning. Starboard side inside.

spacer.gif
IMG_0725.jpg

Three hours give or take and 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy. I squeegeed the livin' sh*t out of it today! ;) Tomorrow I'll sand the edges and get ready to do the starboard side bottom & transom. Should be able to get them done in one day.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/star ... warks.html

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

Son of a Bubble!

spacer.gif
IMG_0730.jpg

Fixed that lil' b*stard! :lol: Sat there and watched it growing from about 3" across to 6" before I nailed it with the bubble buster.

spacer.gif
IMG_0732.jpg

Got the glass for the transom laid up and trimmed but the carpal tunnel syndrome kicked up again. My hands are Sore! Sore! Sore!

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/son-of-bubble.html

There's always tomorrow.

Standby...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Got the glass for the transom laid up and trimmed but the carpal tunnel syndrome kicked up again. My hands are Sore! Sore! Sore!

Oral applications of Canadian Whiskey, or Irish Whiskey........heck, you get the idea.

KnottyBuoyz

Done! First layer on the inside, DONE! I can't believe it's taken me months & months to get this done. Sheez I must be a lazy bastard! :rolleyes: Finished up the transom today to complete the first layer.

spacer.gif
IMG_0733.jpg

Added extra 17 oz tape where designer was concerned about the small overlaps in fabrics. I'll do the same on the chine where they're a little thin as well.

spacer.gif
IMG_0734.jpg

The complex shape of the transom and the transition to the side & bottoms makes it a wee bit harder to wet out the fabric. You can see the three darts I had to cut in the bottom part of the fiberglass to get it to conform to the shape properly. Took a lot of tuggin & squeegeeing to get it into shape. I'll go out later and check for bubbles! :blue:

So the next step is to sand it all down, stem to stern, keel to gunnels then lay in the 0/90 fabric. Hopefully that'll go faster.

Standby.... There's a bottle of Cap'n Morgan's calling my name!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Enjoy the rum I'll have a glass for ya as well but I drink mount guay rum it's smoother and a little pricier but what can I say I like to spoil myself

KnottyBuoyz

Enjoy the rum I'll have a glass for ya as well but I drink mount guay rum it's smoother and a little pricier but what can I say I like to spoil myself

I have a half dozen kinds around here methinks. I prefer the spiced variety. The Kraken is kinda nice for an ole Rum Hound like me. Usually it's Cap'n Morgain or London Dock or the Occasional Pusser's (on the rocks). I have a very nice bottle of Don Barcelo that was given to me when I retired. I think we'll uncork that puppy the day this whale get's her bottom wet!

Thanks for lookin' in littleray! Cheers!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The Admiral and I spent 5 days in Jamaica.... We remembered 2 half days....

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yep I know that feeling 2 years ago I went on a cruise my alcohol tab at the end of the cruise was over a grand my ex didn't drink just me that's not including all the beer I had on the islands mommossas till they started serving actual spirits man what a trip it was awesome

zool

Captain
Those lams look fine for epoxy Knotty, you done yourself proud....

Quietly enjoying your build...

KnottyBuoyz

The Admiral and I spent 5 days in Jamaica.... We remembered 2 half days....

The Holiest of all Holy's! The aging warehouse at the Appleton Estate's Distillery! They've got rums that have been aging in there for 60 years! We were only allowed to stay inside the warehouse for 5 minutes to prevent intoxication from breathing the air! *Sigh*

IMG_2376.jpg

Oh how I loved that place!

Loris%20Camera%20129.jpg

Ok, back to boat workin's!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
And is it me or do the spirits flow very freely down in the carribean not that I mind I think it's a precedent all countries should follow

Scott Danforth

Staff member
yes they do. and for a $1 tip, the bartenders are more than generous. so much so, I started to smell like the rum and day 5 had to dry out. that crawl from pool bar to room was hard on knees.

KnottyBuoyz

So as they say, no rest for the weary, hit the shed around 9'ish this morning and got to work on the box keel.

spacer.gif
IMG_0735.jpg

Just a lot of sanding to clean up the 'Fiber Fangs', fabric edges & spills that ended up in the bottom of the keel. I lasted about 4 hours on the sanders till my hands gave out. Back to the grog for relief! ;)

Web log updated with another 'Sandinsanity' video for all you sicko's out there! :lol:

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/retu ... anity.html

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers~!

Status
Not open for further replies.