87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

Hi folks, i figured i'll start posting from the start of my project, hopefully through to completion.. been looking at a few posts on the site, and it's amazing some of the stuff people have done.. maybe one day I can join their club
    Here are the basics, and where I'm starting from;

1987 Bayliner contessa, 2850 sunbridge

Purchase price; $1000

-OMC 460bb ford/king cobra drive (yes i know, and a re-power IS in the somewhat near future..) compete, winterized.
    -came with a nice GPS/chart plotter and fairly new VHF, shore power cable and bumpers/ropes
    -not well maintained her last few years in the water, been on land for the last four years. Not covered. In ont. Canada.
    -filled with water this spring (see above) and front blocking wood broke through hull... at least all the water is out now..
    -both cabin hatches leak, superstructure is solid but dirty as... well, pick something dirty, its worse..
    -rear sundeck upholstery and captains chair is shot (aka rotten, cracked, shredded, fubar.. )
    -Interior needs carpets and floor work.. and its about as dirty as the outside of the boat..
    -original USmarine 2 knob cassette/radio works awesome!
    -canvas top is serviceable, only two window plastics need replacing! (cause.. um, there are only two.. guess PO cheeped out on the top. I'll be adding some more next year) a few bars are bent/tweaked, and not 'quite right' but i have some plans/ideas..
    -swim platform is a bit soggy/rough, but will do for now (extension is planed in the future)

Wow... doesn't sound to good when its all written out like that..

A little info on me, I like projects.. and I tend to take on big ones If I don't know how to do something, i do my best to learn it, or at least understand it. The major hull repair that was required on the hull i left to a professional, (I don't trust my glass work ability on that area of the boat) but most other issues I plan to tackle on my own. I'm single, make decent money, and don't have much else to do, so i will pretty much be 'living' in my shop for the winter.. what else am I gona do with my time? watch tv? bah.. Anyway, i figure over the course of the next 4-5 months i can get a fair amount done, and hopefully be on the water relaxing next season its a boat, so it's NEVER over/done, but 'useable' is what I'm going for first off...

Plans (for THIS winter..)

-rebuild/redo cabin floor and all carpet. Going to do hardwood flooring, leaving two access hatches.
    -go through entire electrical system and upgrade/re-wire as required (boat is relatively unmolested, just needs a few things changed around.. like the battery switch on the FLOOR of the engine bay, behind the batterys.. not the most easy to access area..) and gona add a third battery and possibly a genny.
    -repair/seal hatches (po had 3 kinds of silicon, tuck tape, duct tape, and possibly some crazy glue all over them... and none of it fixed the leak.. maybe cause the ruber gasket was gone? yup....)
    -rebuild/custom modify 'sundeck' wrap around seating, adding flip down to rear for a cooking work surface or table for drinks
    -add newer cabin lighting (LED) and upgrade stereo/sound system
    -upgrade guages/instruments with newer white face farias

I'll have to sort out and resize (only have my phone, no 'real' camera, and it takes HUGE pictures.. too big for upload) and post some initial 'project start' pics shortly...
    If I had all the money I've ever spent on boats over the years, I would spend it all on boats. Yup, because I'm stupid like that..

Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

how she looked the day i dropped my hard earned cash. First pic is at marina, second taking up most of my driveway
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bigdirty; October 18th, 2013, 07:56 PM.
    If I had all the money I've ever spent on boats over the years, I would spend it all on boats. Yup, because I'm stupid like that..

Comment

aaaand... here's the cabin, new bulkheads and hull repair is complete.. otherwise yes, it's a disaster.
      Attached Files

Comment

Permission to come aboard?

I always like the late 80's Contessa layout.
        "We all come from the sea. But we are not all of the sea. Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again."

Current Boats
        10' tin gamefisher/Johnson 7.5hp ob
        1991 Sea Ray 170br/AlphaMerc
        1996 Century 1800 CC/Yamaha c85
        1988 Imperial 280SF (under the knife)

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...cs-598307.html

Comment

The wrap around seating from the sundeck.. PO just covered over the already destroyed original seats, using about 200000 staples. Everywhere. Pics don't really show the extent of horrible, but you get the idea... last pic is after heaving them overboard into my driveway, where they blew apart and disintegrated further..
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zool View Post
            Permission to come aboard?

I always like the late 80's Contessa layout.
            Yeaar, of course my good sir! U may get a little dirty though.. shes quite a mess at the moment

Comment

Thought this was kinda funny... opened up the anchor locker the other day... you know when a boat has been siting around for a while.... when the anchor rope starts growing plant life..
              Attached Files

Comment

Take a look at this ol' farts big B'liner thread:
                http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...st-570740.html

Being left exposed to the elements and with the hull fracturing I suspect that your below deck structure is in the same shape as GWPSRs was when he started. You really want to check all of your below deck structure and transom before you start trying to make it livable or you may have to tear everything nice you've done out to get to the structure later... and that could cause a lot of head banging on a brick wall.
                I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

well, I'm still technically in the tear down stage anyway, and from what I can see so far (which is MOST of it..) the stringers are good, transom is solid, and the glass guy who repaired the damaged area also checked it out, so I'm fairly confident its worth putting some time and $ in.

Im trying to find the pics of the damage "before" it was repaired, but it was about 18-20" long and 12" wide, between the stringers at the very front of the boat. Looks as though bayliner skimped (nooo.. really?) on the bulkhead, AND/OR someone at the factory goofed, cause the front bulkhead between the stringers was only 1/2" thick, not completely glassed, and that was the ONLY ONE! yup, that whole cabin, no other bulkhead below the deck/floor boards, forward of entrance steps. I made TWO new bulkheads, from laminated 3/4" ply, double thick, to replace the dissolved front piece, and added the other about halfway back. My glass guy did a great job, its way overkill now, and stronger than factory i'm sure. The repair shows on the outer hull, about 5 feet long and a foot or more up the hull on each side, to the chines. I'll know soon about the rear of the hull/structure as I plan on ripping out the hot water heater in the coming weeks, as well as the waste water holding tank that i now suspect is cracked... yes, yuck... dont ask how my night was...

Comment

Small update, did some junk yard picking today, grabbed a nearly mint hatch to replace one of mine that is cracked/taped/gooped/ect.. $20!! I love that place.. also grabbed some more louvered vents for the sides (mine are all chewed/cracked and screwed to the boat with wood screws.. seriously, PO was not that bright...) and a few other bits an pieces. Also pulled off my front side windows (the 'fake' ones.. sneaky bayliner, real sneaky..) that the po also butchered..guess they were falling off, so they decided "hey! i'll drill some holes and secure them with flat head screws!" But there is no chamfer on the hole in the plexi... yup, CRACK..

I have decided to wait to pull the water tanks until after the shelter is built, which I am hoping to get to this week.. it started hailing/snowing today.. and its only gona get worse from here, so i gota get er done. Here are some pics, including my engineering, er... 'drawing on the napkin' plans for the main shelter structure.. NTS
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice hatch for $20!!!..damn, i need one and they price out at 250+..nice score..
                      Last edited by zool; October 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM.
                      "We all come from the sea. But we are not all of the sea. Those of us who are, we children of the tides, must return to it again and again."

Current Boats

Comment

Originally posted by zool View Post
                        Thats a nice hatch for $20!!!..damn, i need one and they price out at 250+..nice score..
                        What size you need? I have two others sitting here that are to small for my boat, petty much same condition.. (glass is showing age/spider crack looking but solid, not actually cracked.. would be a 18.5"x18.5" cut out with round corners.. one I have stripped a few screws/pieces from, other is complete.. dono what shipping would be, but I'd defiantly give a fellow boat re-builder a real good deal..

Comment

This is what i have now, i havnt measured the opening yet, but i will..

most of the moving parts were looted, lemme see what i need

Current Boats

Comment

On board for this one I love the restoration of large *** boats!

Comment

heres what i have zool... and welcome aboard Celtichawk she defiantly is a big azz girl, but hey.. they're fun..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X